ComputersWelcome

Re: What You Need To Start Immediately? (What is needed/comes in box)

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:03 am

So when the Pi comes out, I know that the Pi will come in the package when I buy it (of course). But I was wounding what cables I will need to make a smooth transition to the Pi.

I was wounding what I need to buy to hook this up to my T.V. (not HDMI) that still requires RCA. I have an ethernet cord so internet is not a problem. I have an 8GB Micro SD card, with an adapter for the Pi.

I need a cord for Pi to TV (analog) but don't know what to look for.

I also have a ps2 keyboard, can I buy an adapter, or should I just buy a new wireless one?

Jessie

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:32 am

The box will contain 1 Raspberry Pi board.

You will need a micro-usb power adapter, KB, mouse, SD card, and HDMI cable.

punxsu

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:20 am

If your TV does not have an HDMI input, you"ll need a composite cable, like the one showed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.....-cable.jpg

Goggles2114

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:58 am

Just a guess here but you'll need a cable to plug into the audio jack that can also plug into a composite audio (white connector) on the tv.

No idea where these would be bought (mostly because i don't know what it's actually called.)

spurious

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:03 am

For this first batch you will also need another computer to burn the SD card and an internet connection to download the image that you are burning.

oh question... do we need a Linux OS on the other machine for the burn process or is there a Windows app for said task?

drgeoff

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:03 am

Goggles2114 said:

Just a guess here but you'll need a cable to plug into the audio jack that can also plug into a composite audio (white connector) on the tv.

No idea where these would be bought (mostly because i don't know what it's actually called.)

There is no such thing as "composite audio" .

The socket on the board is a 3.5 mm stereo minijack - the same as on most earbuds.  Most TVs and amplifiers have RCA sockets (also called phono sockets).  White for left channel, the tip of the 3.5 mm plug.  Red for right, the next ring on the plug.  The largest metal ring on the 3.5 mm plug (nearest the cable end) is the common ground. Suitable cables are readily available eg http://www.maplin.co.uk/twin-p.....lead-31700.  Other cheaper sources include Poundland.

Goggles2114

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for the correction and clarification.

The Bullfrog

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:09 pm

spurious said:

For this first batch you will also need another computer to burn the SD card and an internet connection to download the image that you are burning.

oh question... do we need a Linux OS on the other machine for the burn process or is there a Windows app for said task?

There are windows apps that will write linux images to a flash device.

You could even use a version of DD for windows if you fancy a command-line approach.

timgiles

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:52 pm

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/   Universal USB Installer - is soooo easy to use

YUMI - Your Universal Multiboot Installer - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/     helps you to make a mulitboot USB device and is just as simple. So if you have a HUGE USB stick, you could put Win 7 and 10 or more different Linux flavours on it

With both, the apps can download the install selected or you can add any ISO based distro.

Of course, the above also works with any memory cards you stick in your card reader/computer.

Regards Tim

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm not entirely sure this going to work. Elsewhere it is explained that it is not possible to boot the B from a memory stick. Also Windows and various flavours of Linux will not in anycase work on this particular ARM processor. There are discussions here, however, about the processes to be followed to get a distro onto an SD card.

abishur

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I'm not entirely sure this going to work. Elsewhere it is explained that it is not possible to boot the B from a memory stick.

I'm not sure where this false piece of information got going, but there is no difference in the way that the model A and the model B boot.

At this point in time neither one can boot from USB.  That said, there's a strong belief that once we have these boards in hand that we will be able to boot a bootloader on the SD card that will enable us to boot off a USB device, but even then it will still go to the SD card first (which is just the nature of the beast here and can't be changed)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:38 pm

I don't recall where I saw it but there are so many postings now it is lost to view. I will erase the thought from my memory!

bredman

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:21 pm

The wiki is making great progress, hopefully this question is now answered.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware.....asic_Setup

Thanks to meltwater and Tufty for the work in this area.

kevinpet

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Jessie said:

Don't forget the USB hub if you want to use keyboard and mouse. I'm thinking an ideal solution is powered USB hub.

TheEponymousBob

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:11 am

kevinpet said:

Jessie said:

Don"t forget the USB hub if you want to use keyboard and mouse. I"m thinking an ideal solution is powered USB hub.

The model B (which the first batch consists of) has two USB ports, so no hub needed for just keyboard and mouse. Another possibility that will save a port without a separate hub would be a keyboard with its own usb port for the mouse; yet another would be what I"m trying, which is a wireless keyboard & mouse combination with a single receiver dongle. So long as the dongle presents itself to the board as a standard keyboard/mouse there shouldn"t be any driver issues with Linux. Mine arrived today, and didn"t contain any any driver CD, so I"m confident it"ll be fine.

Edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pro.....B004MEXYLM

abishur

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:58 am

To be fair you don't *have* to have a mouse, you could have it boot straight into the bash prompt.  Which really brings up the crux of the issue.  What you need to start immediately all depends on what you want to do with it.

Jessie

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:41 am

Abishur said:

To be fair you don't *have* to have a mouse, you could have it boot straight into the bash prompt.  Which really brings up the crux of the issue.  What you need to start immediately all depends on what you want to do with it.

Yeh, I plan on setting up most of my R-Pis to be useable with a remote or a joystick or controler of some kind.

Vindicator

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:43 am

So another words

1 Raspi Which will be a model B in the first batch

1 power adapter with micro-usb of 5 volts and 1 amp (it will use less but 1amp covers mouse and keyboard also with a little overhead)

1 Sdcard

1 Ethernet cable (if you wish use networking)

1 of the following TV/monitor that except HDMI or DVI-D or Composite input

1 Composite cable (usually has a yellow RCA connector on both ends)

1 3.5mm to RCA cord to hook it to your TV(these usually have a 3.5 plug on one end and one white RCA and one red RCA on the other)(not needed if you use HDMI)

1 HDMI cable if you TV/monitor has such a beast (or HDMI to DVI-D cable or a HDMI to DVI Adapter and the corresponding correct cable to make it work in your application) for a DVI compatible monitor.

1 mouse if you want it.

1 keyboard

1 powered USB hub if you wish to connect anything else to USB

1 computer with internet to attain necessary application and software to burn SD image to SD card

1 sense of humor to get it all working.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

spurious

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:50 am

And...

A willingness to actually read the instructions on the wiki

Some time (probably a few hours first time around)

A beer or two to calm the nerves when things don't work first time.

I will reiterate the sense of humour, because you have to have one when doing projects for the first time.  :)

Vindicator

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:04 am

Thank you spurious I knew I forgot something, don't like beer but I will substitute with wine coolers or rum.

Just resurrected a old Intel MB with a 900 celeron and 320mb of ram on it and wanted to see if I could post here with it, Loaded it with Puppy 5.2.5 and it seems to work fine if a little slower than I am use too.

Don not forget the alcohol part if you get frustrated he is spot on.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

abishur

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:09 pm

well you don't need the composite video or rca audio cables if you use hdmi or vise versa

dh04000

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Here's a great option to power the R-Pi.

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-CNR6.....B004GIN522

Its for high end phone, so I bet it conforms to 5V very strictly.

Chromatix

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:02 pm

atomant said:

SD Card Class 10: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBa.....038;sr=8-2

SD Card Class 4: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBa.....038;sr=1-6

edit: Do Class 10 cards not work with the R-Pi?

I would be very wary of an own-brand budget model of SD card for this.  In all probability it's a Kingston with a new label on it.  There are known problems with Kingstons.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Return to “General discussion”