bugsy_malone 666

Turning a RPi into an Amiga ?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Well kind of anyway!

I miss the good old days of my amiga500 and while its packed away into boxes I have alot of the original software.

So I was thinking the raspberry pi has a fair amount of power compared to a computer of about 1990, how much emulation is possible?

would it be possible to use a USB diskette drive to read original Amiga disks? The emulators you can get through linux, will they work with Pi as is or do they need some work to get them to work?

I also wondered if it would be possible to get the Pi to act like an Amiga in that you have a small SD card (like I have 32mb) with some sort of programming and the kickstart rom from the amiga so it would kind of act like one, use the 'amiga SD' and it would act like an amiga, stick in a normal 'Rasp' SD and your running debian.

Maybe pointless but I wondered how possible it is or what I should start looking at?

Jim JKla

Re: Turning a RPi into an Amiga ?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:59 pm

You need to be running an emulator. ;)

There are quite a few out there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMo6u6RAn3k
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

madman_xxx

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Few days ago I thought the same thing - emulate Amiga on Pi.
First: reading real Amiga disks in USB-floppy drive is impossible. For many years it was even thought it's impossible on an ordinary PC, but the guy named Vincent Joguin did a little trick - he connected two floppy drives to one controller, did some software-magic and voilla! Amiga floppies could be read.
Reading Amiga disks on a RPi hardware would again require a controller of some sort.
Second: Emulating Amiga requires a lot of processing power, which is limited on RPi. I'm no optimist here, but your post encouraged me to compile fs-uae, an Amiga emulator. Will post after I end the struggle with emulator dependencies & compilation...

Wizard

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm running an emulated A500 on a Raspberry Pi and is achieving pretty much A500 performance.
I tried to interface an old Amiga floppy but it's easier said than done and I abandoned that fairly early on...

There are a many threads here on the subject so use the search and thou shall see ;)
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:41 am

This is probably the most apropos thread that's recent.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 35&t=17928

Note that it's essentially an MC68K emulator for the ARM CPU and the Amiga's special graphics hardware (e.g., Agnus and Denise in the A1000). The MC68K was a 32-bit architecture limited to 16-bit external I/O and ran at only 7.16 MHz while the Pi ARM CPU is a full 32-bit architecture internally and externally running at 700 MHz (without overclocking). We weren't even dreaming of a $35, 700 MHz, 32-bit system on a credit card sized board with 1080p digital video output, 5.1 surround-sound, 10 Mbps Ethernet, USB, booting and running from 10s of GBs of something truly magical called flash memory in a package the size of a quarter. As for GPIO, that had to be accomplished via the 86-pin expansion connector and breadboards :)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

madman_xxx

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:31 am

FS-UAE does not compile on RPi - it has an x86 JIT compiler...
Will try E-UAE later.

Wizard

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:53 am

Here's a few pointers how to wrap it up as well ;)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 40&t=10990

I've tried uae, e-uae and uae4all and they all come with their advantages and disadvantages...
I can't seem to find any activity from the originators behind uae for a very long time and it might be due to the FPGA "Amigas" the last few years?

I've also seen very good beginnings for revamped Amiga homebrew hardware but all are old now...

Amiga is still the best hardware design ever to have been created with its co-processors and I really wish it could be reborn one day, and not just emulated - FPGA or not.

Until then, emulators or you could have a look at the AROS release for Raspberry Pi.

Code: Select all

|I __==___________  ___________     .  ,. _ .   __  T|
       ||[_j  L_I_I_I_I_j  L_I_I_I_I_j    /|/V||(g/|   ==  l|
       lI _______________________________  _____  _________I]
        |[__I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_] [__I__] [_I_I_I_]|
        |[___I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_L  I   ___   [_I_I_I_]|
        |[__I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_L_I __I_]_  [_I_I_T ||
        |[___I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I____] [_I_I_] [___I_I_j|
        | [__I__I_________________I__L_]                   |
        |                                                  |  
        l__________________________________________________j

Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

bugsy_malone 666

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:19 pm

See this is an area I found a little odd, with Amigas you could read PC disks using a special piece of software, I had it and it was called 'disk master 2' I think, it was a cover disk on Amiga format or something and if I recall you could basically move txt files and that from amiga disks to PC formatted disks, which then meant you could write documents on your amiga and then take them to a PC to be read. I think it wasnt limited to just txt files, might have also been able to use sound files and that too.

So anyway I was thinking also wasnt Amiga Unix based like Linux? So I thought it would have been easier to get the 2 to mate compared to a PC!

With the whole USB disc drive think I am not sure (yet) how it could actually make a difference that its usb, I know with amiga disks in the PC it just reads it as a non formated disk, mainly because of the file type difference, which is why I was thinking with a USB version it would still read it, but it wouldnt make sense of the data that was coming through?

Also I found a Pinout for the 23pin connector as found on amiga diskette drives:

http://old.pinouts.ru/Storage/ExtDiskAmiga_pinout.shtml

Infact I found thid area on the site:

http://pinoutsguide.com/dev/Amiga/

which covers tons of things connecting Amigas :)

Then theres also other PC stuff including a normal disk drive pinouts: http://pinoutsguide.com/Storage/26pin_m ... nout.shtml

Some stuff to trawel through I guess but it might be a start!

madman_xxx

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm

If you connect an Amiga floppy drive to a PC (yes, you can do that directly, without any special interfaces), the PC will be able to read 720kB DD disks (those were in use before 1,44MB HD), but not the Amiga ones!. This is because of a PC hardware responsible for reading floppies. The PC disk drive and Amiga one are (more less) the same.
Again, you may read (and not write) Amiga disks on your PC (two floppy drives required). You can't do that with an ordinary USB floppy drive.
There are dedicated hardware solutions though that allow reading Amiga floppies (and others, too). But they are non-standard PC equipment.
In many cases, you don't have to read Amiga floppies to play your favourite title, in most cases someone already might just have done it - there are websites, where you can download your favourite game (in .adf format) and play it.

toxibunny

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 am

I bet you could make a cool-looking case for a thumbdrive out of a few old amiga disks glued together. You could hold a whole heap of .ADFs on one of those...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Pi eater

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:43 pm

If you do manage to get this to work, please post a step by step guide so us Amiga lovers out there can replicate it.
Eating pi is sure good!

Return to “General discussion”