aristosv

vlc show controls in full screen mode not working

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:04 pm

I just installed Raspbian Buster on a Raspberry Pi 4.
vlc player v3.0.8 is already installed, but there's an issue.

Even though "show controls in full screen mode" is selected in preferences, when you play a video in full screen mode, and move the mouse around, the controls don't appear. You have to go out of full screen mode to be able to see the controls again.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Thanks

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: vlc show controls in full screen mode not working

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Not really.
X doesn't do overlays very well (at all!), so within the standard rendering paths it doesn't use the hardware acceleration to do that composition. Performance therefore it pretty poor unless you have a fairly beefy graphics card. 720p60 if you're lucky.

The Pi has hardware specifically designed to do composition of layers, and VLC switches to this mode when in fullscreen. Things such as subtitles and the play/pause OSD icons are rendered as extra layers. The control panel has remained as part of the X furniture, and that is hidden.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

panca

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:06 pm

Will that be fixed?

gkreidl

Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:40 am

panca wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:06 pm
Will that be fixed?
There is nothing to fix.
You can simply use X11 output without MMAL splitter. But then you will loose all the advantages of the layered output.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

ccomparon

Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 am

I'm facing the same overlay issue and I just found out that using the OpenGL ES2 output works flawlessly - did not notice any performance degradation, and overlays work properly.

Botspot

Fri May 01, 2020 12:43 pm

aristosv wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:04 pm
You have to go out of full screen mode to be able to see the controls again.
I had to get comfortable with using the keyboard shortcuts in fullscreen. :| Or you could exit fullscreen, click your buttons, then go back to fullscreen.

There is actually two fullscreen modes: the first one has a button for it, or you could press F to toggle it.
The second one is more hidden, and AFAIK the only way you can toggle it is with F11. This second mode does show you the buttons, but the video does not fill the screen. :|

It's a tradeoff for the cause of speed. Welcome to Raspbian.
Want to make your own Raspbian image?
  • Hard way: Mess with confusing terminal commands.
  • Easy way: Let Pi-Power-Tools do it all for you!
Boot your image in a VM, Flash from the Internet at top speed, Mount (to drop files in), Edit partitions, Shrink/Expand, Repair, and more. Enjoy! :)
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools

Return to “General discussion”