ArduinoPiSensor

Raspberry Pi randomly shuts down when I plug arduino uno in with circuit

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 am

Hello,

I recently built my first circuit with arduino uno. (Well, not my first) but it was my first time using raspberry pi with it since my laptop broke. I built a circuit and plugged it in and my raspberry pi shut down, booted up and repeat. I tried again and the same thing happened. I haven't touched it because my Raspberry pi is in a case that you can't touch the components. Is this normal for this to happen? Or is may rasoberry pi broken.

I am using a Raspberry Pi 3B+.
If someone could answer, thank you very much.

(My circuit is a ultrasonic alarm equipped with buzzer and multiple LED's just in case it's my circuit , not my Pi)

pcmanbob

Re: Raspberry Pi randomly shuts down when I plug arduino uno in with circuit

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:27 am

Hi.

From the little information supplied it sounds like the arduino & attached circuit is drawing to much power from the pi.

for us to help you further you need to supply a lot more information.

1. what power supply are you powering the pi with , exact make model rating etc
2. how are you connecting the arduino to the pi
3. have you a diagram showing the circuits are connected to the arduino and have you checked they are correct

it always helps to include some pictures showing the connections as well just so we can check your wiring versus the diagrm.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

W. H. Heydt

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Unless you're connecting to a USB port, and--if so--see above, it is generally inadvisable to connect things to a Pi that is powered up. (This is true of pretty much all of electronics work. The exception is items that are specifically designed for "hot plug".)

PhatFil

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:44 pm

If your using a pi-0?? plugging in a usb device causing a reboot is a known 'feature' that can be overcome with a usb hub in some cases, if not a Pi-0 then a powered usb hub could also solve an issue with your arduino set up drawing too much power.. cutting the +5v wire betwen pi and hub would stop back powering the pi from the hub and also stop any overdrawing of power domino-ing back upto the pi..

If connecting via gpio DONT do that live/on the fly, shut down connect and restart..

MarkTF

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:50 pm

It's been a while since I've done Arduino on RPI, but I've seen this.

It's likely due to surge current when the Arduino is plugged in causing the RPi voltage to sag. The USB specification says a device should present no more than 10 uF capacitance to USB power upon connection. The Arduino Uno reference design has a 47 uF bypass on +5 V and a clone Uno I have at hand has a 100 uF capacitor, so strictly speaking this is an Arduino flaw.

Your options would include 1) connecting the Arduino and RPi via USB before powering on the RPi, 2) using a power USB port expander, and 3) externally powering the Uno via Vin. The Arduino Nano, at least in the reference design, has less capacitance and should be ok.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ ... ematic.pdf

Return to “General discussion”