Pimaxin

Getting £ instead of # on keyboard

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:08 am

I can't login since keyboard shift-3 is giving me a £ instead of a # and password uses # when I try to login through the local terminal. I can't ssh in to fix keyboard settings because it's getting the IP 169.254.197.31 instead of 192.168.x.x since I was messing w/ the router LAN ports. How do I login?

sparkyhall

Re: Getting £ instead of # on keyboard

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:01 am

The default keyboard layout is for the UK so I guess you failed to set the keyboard layout when you first booted. On a UK keyboard the # key is next to the enter key, see here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_a ... _keyboards

Once you are in you can set the keyboard layout through the command line with "sudo raspi-config" or from "Preferences->Raspberry Pi Configuration" in the GUI.

DougieLawson

Re: Getting £ instead of # on keyboard

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:40 am

The problem may be finding the key where the # has moved to. It moved on my new laptop with a UK keyboard.

1. Power off (pull the power it won't hurt if the system is idle).
2. Create a new SDcard with plain Raspbian and boot that.
3. Set the keyboard on the new system before going a step further.
4. Mount the bad SDcard in a USB reader.
5. Set a password on the new system that doesn't include any special characters. Use numbers & letters only.
6. Copy the line from /etc/shadow for userid pi on the rescue system to /media/pi/*/etc/shadow on the bad system. Remove the line that's already there with nano. So there's just one new line with a new salted crypt for the new password.
7. Power off
8. Swap SDcards over and boot the old one
9. Login with your newly hacked password
10. Grab a beer and celebrate
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “General discussion”