liudr

Running Khan academy (mostly full-screen videos) with RPI4 ?

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:00 pm

I've set up my rpi3+ for Khan academy (khanacademy.org) but it is slow and the video sometimes freezes the pi if I play it in full-screen 1080p resolution. Has anyone tried it with rpi4, with what amount of RAM, how do you like it running on rpi4? Thanks.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

Botspot

Re: Running Khan academy (mostly full-screen videos) with RPI4 ?

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:14 pm

The Pi 4 is a gigantic step up on video playback smoothness. I went ahead and tried playing a khanacademy video on my Pi4 and it's butter smooth.

You say you have a 3B+. Things to try:
  • Overclocking
  • Ensure the h264ify chrome extension is running. It makes YouTube videos play smoother.
  • Set GPU memory to 128
  • Enabling FKMS (see below)
To enable Fake KMS:
  1. Open a terminal.
  2. Type

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
    and press Enter.
  3. Press down arrow key until Advanced Options is selected, then press Enter.
  4. Navigate to GL Driver, and press Enter.
  5. Navigate to GL (Fake KMS), and press Enter.
  6. There you go!
  7. Exit raspi-config, and while you're doing so, it should prompt you to reboot.
After making those above changes, my Pi3 played YouTube smoothly.
Still not working for you? Just download the youtube videos and play them with VLC or omxplayer. Or get a 2GB Pi4.
Want to run Zoom on your RPi? Easiest way is with Pi-Apps - just click Install.
https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps
Pi-Apps also includes the full version of Minecraft, Chromium Media Edition, Pi Power Tools, an automated email checker, and 16 other useful programs not in the repos.

liudr

Re: Running Khan academy (mostly full-screen videos) with RPI4 ?

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:18 am

Thank you Botspot! I made all the changes you suggested and I can now play videos smoothly enough without crashing now. Switching from windowed to full screen still takes a couple of seconds and buffering is visible but I think it's a usable system, considering 3B was the first bearable desktop experience and my 3B+ is just a 10% boost maybe?

So for everyone with small kids at home with school cancellations, this could be a quick way to get them engaged in some math and grammar learning.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

Return to “General discussion”