axiomprime

Re: For those looking for a mediaplayer only

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:23 pm

My mum runs a homeless resource to help people get off drink/drugs and give people the skills they need too get a house and job. I'm planning on kitting that place out with a bunch a RasPi. I'm not down with all of this "keep the non-geeks out of our tree-house" talk but I'm pretty sure I could make a case that a RasPi giving homeless people computer skills in more worthy than one giving someone 1080p video on their 42" TV (like what I'll be doing with mine).

lb

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:28 pm

I think there is some merit to OP's suggestion.

That is, if you need a gadget that just works as a small HTPC-like video player, without fiddling around and a lot of work by yourself, Raspberry Pi is definitely not the right device to get, especially not in this early stage.

tek-monkey

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:49 pm

What if people got one, got confused and gave it away to a curious nephew? That would get it into the hands of exactly who it is intended for, so all is well in the world. If it inspires the initial user to investigate even better, it"s not like these sell with remotes or even cases so the uninitiated will be wary from the start.

You can get a sumvision micro for less, the media player crowd will only be interested if they need a network player so already will have some tinkering to do whatever they buy.

I think my first one will be a media centre for the shed, if my powerline adapter will reach.

The Bullfrog

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:55 pm

tek-monkey said:

What if people got one, got confused and gave it away to a curious nephew?

What if people got one, got confused and gave it away to me?

Given enough confused people I'd build a magnificent little cluster and embark on my plan for world domination…

LostAlone

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:43 am

lb said:

I think there is some merit to OP's suggestion.

That is, if you need a gadget that just works as a small HTPC-like video player, without fiddling around and a lot of work by yourself, Raspberry Pi is definitely not the right device to get, especially not in this early stage.

No, it's probably not the exact right device for any random person who wants an HTPC-style media player.

But then again, people are going to know what they are getting in to. If you see a circuit board and you say 'Oh I can totally make that work as my media-player' then as far as I'm concerned you are enough of a geek to be a worthy recipient of a Pi.

Even if you don't really know how to do it first off, you'll learn it. And probably fiddle with it and learn more stuff and teach your girlfriend or anyone else who sits in front of your TV a lesson in using Debian (or whatever).

The point here is that using a Pi is going to sufficiently complex than genuine non-geeks just won't touch it, but sufficiently easy to learn that any semi-geek with an interest can learn it.

Anyone who doesn't know how to use it 'properly' when they start is going to learn pretty fast. And as long as people are learning what makes it tick and doing interesting stuff, then the Pi is doing what its supposed to do.

abishur

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:53 pm

With respect, this thread has gone on long enough.

It's defeats the very purpose of releasing a product whose goal is to give people a PC to use however they want to... if you turn around and say "but for those of you who want to do X, go use this inferior and much more expensive product"

This comment goes double for those who are telling n00bs that if you can't do such or so then you shouldn't get the r-pi.  The r-pi's whole existence is to teach n00bs!  If I see new posts with this kind of language they will at best be deleted and at worst the user will find himself blocked for a day. >:-(

Thread closed
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”