WereCatf

Re: For those looking for a mediaplayer only

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:20 pm

liz said:

Straight

As I said, that's a damn shame :< You rarely see women leading these kinds of projects, let alone actually making the projects successful, and as such I view that as quite a positive accomplishment. Not to mention the fact that the woman leading this project is also terribly pleasing to the eye.

Oh well, atleast Eben has a good taste in women.

dagwud

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:54 pm

plrw said:

So now you can leave the raspberry for us hobbyists/programmers

Since this type of comment keeps popping up, and to steal a phrase from Inigo Montoya, "you (plural) keep using that word. I do not think it means what you (plural) think it means."

I'm pretty sure that those of us who are really interested in buying a bare board, tweaking software to function the way we want our media server to run, and building our own cases are, by definition, "hobbyists."

Jock in a Frock

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 pm

WereCatf said:

As I said, that's a damn shame :< You rarely see women leading these kinds of projects, let alone actually making the projects successful, and as such I view that as quite a positive accomplishment. Not to mention the fact that the woman leading this project is also terribly pleasing to the eye.

Oh well, atleast Eben has a good taste in women.

WereCatf, since you will be getting Pi #11, can you let us know how you're getting on with it?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Oo, I'm blushing.

It actually really, really bothers me how few women we see on these forums. Twitter's a little better, but not much; the only time we really get lots of women corresponding with us is after we're on R4 (Newsnight was good too), and that's usually directly through email. Even the coverage we've had from the bigger broadsheets hasn't been that good for raising awareness among women; radio seems to be the way to go.

I don't have an answer for it (I have several techie female friends, but a hell of a lot more of them are men). There's something that needs fixing socially at school playground and kitchen table level, and I'm damned if I have a quick and easy answer to it.

And anybody suggesting a pink case gets an autoban.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Luny

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 pm

I"d like to think we are helping in our household. We have two girls, and they can enjoy anything (legal they are only kids) regardless of gender stereo-types. We"ve never held back a toy just cos it might be a boys toy. However the play ground is stronger than the kitchen table, as the eldest likes typical girly things as do her mates. But that is her choice.
Luny

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:48 pm

If it's any help, I can wear a frock whilst moderating comments? Got to be more fun than, er, moderating comments.

Sorry, gotta go, someone posted something on the internet somewhere that I haven't 'watched'  yet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

manicgeek

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:02 pm

liz said:

Stop picking on pink, I think a RasPi would look wonderful in a case like this.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/.....ms=5086854

liz

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Good grief.

manicgeek

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 pm

You'll want to make a shiny case to get women interested

And now I think I should logout and stay away for a while.

Luny

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 pm

liz said:

Stop picking on pink, I think a RasPi would look wonderful in a case like this.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/.....ms=5086854

Yarg! It also costs more than the pi. How can a plastic cover cost so much.
Luny

plrw

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:13 pm

liz said:

If you"re looking to use it as a media player only, I can speak on behalf of the foundation and say PLEASE BUY IT. We are not interested in establishing any sort of hacker purchasing apartheid.

OP"s suggestion is horribly solipsistic. There are several threads active at the moment with people complaining that people who are *not like them* might be buying the Raspberry Pi. As far as the Foundation is concerned, that"s a great thing. The more we sell, the more we can make. The more Raspberry Pis that go out into the world as media players, the more likely we are to see them fall into the hands of kids *and* adults who find that actually, this programming thing isn"t as opaque as they thought.

And the poster above who posited that all batches will be 10k in size is dead wrong, BTW.

First, it"s your lack of info that makes people speculate, and the idea to wait, and wait and wait, without telling us one piece of info.

Why not take orders if you really sent it for manufacturing ? Why wait ?

Second, what you are saying here pretty much goes against what you claim the foundation is about but whatever, I guess the goals werent what we were led to belive, "learning kids to program" and all that. Seems to be bullshit then.

Seems you completely changed the foundations goals with that post, thanks for that, now we know.

As for the rest of the idiots, yeah, try to buy more than one from the first batch, apparently none of you actually read any info on this site ? And when the hell did I say something about "complaining people are different than me" ? ****ing psychos answering things I havent said.

Good you are idiots, unbelivable. Try to actually read what people write and answer that instead fo imagining things in your own heads.

The foundations goals before as we have been lead to belive is NOT to make a cheap mediaplayer for people:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/sample-page

liz

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:23 pm

plrw said:

First, it"s your lack of info that makes people speculate, and the idea to wait, and wait and wait, without telling us one piece of info.

Second, what you are saying here pretty much goes against what you claim the foundation is about but whatever, I guess the goals werent what we were led to belive, "learning kids to program" and all that. Seems to be bullshit then.

Seems you completely changed the foundations goals with that post, thanks for that, now we know.

As for the rest of the idiots, yeah, try to buy more than one from the first batch, apparently none of you actually read any info on this site ? And when the hell did I say something about "complaining people are different than me" ? ******* psychos answering things I havent said.

Good you are idiots, unbelivable.

For heaven's sake, PLRW; you're the THIRD person I've had to ban today, after a week of everybody behaving nicely. Please use your new spare time to get a new hobby. I recommend the study of grammar. It's ever so fulfilling.

manicgeek

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:24 pm

plrw said:

As for the rest of the idiots, yeah, try to buy more than one from the first batch, apparently none of you actually read any info on this site ? And when the hell did I say something about "complaining people are different than me" ? ******* psychos answering things I havent said.

Good you are idiots, unbelivable.

She hasn't changed anything, it's all there all over this forum, you just need to read it.

Coming onto a site dedicated to a specific hardware platform and suggesting some members should buy an entirely different platform, was always going to get you answers you didn't like. Along with some questions in the minds of some of us which you won't like either, like what's in it for you? Work for the maker of that product do you?

Now stop being so bloody rude, and obnoxious.

Prometheus

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:55 pm

liz said:

Oo, I"m blushing.

It actually really, really bothers me how few women we see on these forums. Twitter's a little better, but not much; the only time we really get lots of women corresponding with us is after we're on R4 (Newsnight was good too), and that's usually directly through email. Even the coverage we've had from the bigger broadsheets hasn't been that good for raising awareness among women; radio seems to be the way to go.

I don't have an answer for it (I have several techie female friends, but a hell of a lot more of them are men). There's something that needs fixing socially at school playground and kitchen table level, and I'm damned if I have a quick and easy answer to it.

Ugh, pink. (Girl geek over here! <waves> )

No answers here, either, unfortunately. My playground peers shunned me for being interested in computing (and in video games ), instead of the latest generic boy-band, back in the day. I'm still no closer to figuring out why now, than I was back then!

scep

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:06 am

I'm guessing that plrw hasn't made it to the front of the queue then. The big potty mouth.

axiomprime

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:04 am

Apart from a release date I don't think I've ever been so well informed about a hardware development process.

PaulD1970

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:09 am

plrw said:

For those looking for a mediaplayer only, how about getting a Moboplay instead, with the adapter, casing and cables plus wifi stick the prices are probably comparable to what you would ahve to spend on the raspberry as a mediaplayer.

So now you can leave the raspberry for us hobbyists/programmers

Have not yet posted on these forums but after reading this plethora of drivel I just felt the need to come have a say.

I will be purchasing one of these devices to attempt to use it as a media player.  Setting up the media player and getting everything running correctly is a hobby to me.  Now I believe that makes me a hobbyist.  OH I am a programmer as well so I think I fit that bill also.  Thankfully though, even after my 25 years industry and 6 years prior of software development, I have not become an elitist like yourself.

In fact I could have gone one stage further and said OP why don't you step aside and let the 10k people out there who will put the device to better use than yourself have the first batch.  But hey...after your original post I am sure you believe that what you will be using the device for will be far more important that anyone else.

bnolsen

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:43 am

you all have pretty much been trolled.   I suggest locking this thread.

Without serious specs posted on the originally mentioned hardware I find it rather uninteresting.

cheers

scep

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:20 am

bnolsen said:

Without serious specs posted on the originally mentioned hardware I find it rather uninteresting.

I've quite enjoyed this thread (as I do many threads that go surreally OT on these forums). Pink cases; gender stereotyping and women in tech; James offering to wear a frock (not a dress mind - a frock ). None of these things would have come up if we had not been "trolled".

I guess it will be locked eventually, but in the meantime I can only suggest not reading threads that you find uninteresting

WereCatf

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:05 am

liz said:

This is off-topic and I apologize for that already before-hand, just ignore my comment if it bothers someone. As to Liz's comment, though: I have several female friends who play computer games, but they're not interested in actual internals of them or they just use the well-worn excuse "it's guy-stuff" for not doing so. It is rather sad, but then again, they all come from somewhat conservative families where girls are taught to play with dolls and plastic kitchen tools. Even to this day my friend's mother keeps telling her that she needs to leave games for boys and find more feminine hobbies -- like e.g. going shopping -- even though she's 25 years old now. I on the other hand come from a very open family, none of us believe in any deity, we're totally non-religious, as children we were allowed to play with whatever we showed interest in, we were always encouraged to think for ourselves instead of following someone else's thoughts and ideals, and even though I'm apparently the only queer in my whole family-line no one has ever even so much as flinched when they found out.

The problem is the society that is still pushing for the age-old women-in-kitchen-men-in-garage - mentality. If you set your mind to looking for such clues and watch television ads and children's movies you should be able to fairly quickly spot quite a few things. Like e.g. most Disney movies tend to promote the idea of girls being fair princesses. There are a few exceptions, but they are unfortunately that; exceptions :/

There really isn't much we can do about it, though, as changing the mentality of the whole society around us can take even centuries. If you look several decades back things are still a lot, LOT better than they were and people are slowly starting to accept that not everyone has to be the same, like we here in Finland we have presidential elections going with only two candidates left and the one of them is an openly homosexual man; this would have been total outrage even a decade ago. (I too vote for the homosexual man here, though not for his sexuality. I just happen to like the fact that he is a human rights activist all the way to the bone.)

Hehe That reminds me, there are a few stores here that are selling pink hammers, screwdrivers and such tools, with a complete pink case for them and the text 'Työkaluja naisille' ('Tools for women'), thinking that women will find them more attractive that way. I never know whether I should burst out laughing or if I should start crying.

jamesh

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:56 am

No need to apologise. Good post.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

jamesh

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:58 am

scep said:

bnolsen said:

I've quite enjoyed this thread (as I do many threads that go surreally OT on these forums). Pink cases; gender stereotyping and women in tech; James offering to wear a frock (not a dress mind - a frock ). None of these things would have come up if we had not been "trolled".

I guess it will be locked eventually, but in the meantime I can only suggest not reading threads that you find uninteresting

I thought about a dress, then thought, what the hell, let's go the whole hog and frock it. Not a fan of pink though.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:05 am

I do find the posts where individuals are trying to put off others from buying the Pi so they have more chance of getting one themselves, highly amusing. I can just imagine a similar thread on the Glastonbury forum. "My taste in music is better than yours so you shouldn't apply for tickets, to give me a better chance of getting one". Hysterical!

WereCatf

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:34 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

I do find the posts where individuals are trying to put off others from buying the Pi so they have more chance of getting one themselves, highly amusing. I can just imagine a similar thread on the Glastonbury forum. "My taste in music is better than yours so you shouldn't apply for tickets, to give me a better chance of getting one". Hysterical!

I just find such posts terribly irritating and short-sighted; no matter what people are going to do with their RPi-boards after they've bought them it's still income for the organization and means they'll be able to produce more of them, so trying to push people to not order these boards is actually harmful. Alas, humans are by nature terribly selfish and greedy creatures and some people simply do not even try to counter that nature, leading to exactly these kinds of situations.

While this may again go slightly off-topic, I've for a long time had the dream of being able to help children and teenagers around the world, possibly providing them with a somewhat positive role-model. One of the ideas I have is to run a sort-of a computing club where I -- or someone else -- guides the kids to do things with computers, all the way from slapping CPUs and memory on motherboards, opening up PSUs to clean the fans and so on to whatever they happen to find interesting at the moment. RPi boards would be extremely nice there as they're so cheap yet very capable overall, it wouldn't be a terrible loss if one or two got broken as the kids were experimenting with them.

Too bad I don't have the financial means of actually doing such, not to mention that I'd have to relocate to some larger city; I live in a very small country-side city so there simply wouldn't be enough interest in such around here.

tek-monkey

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:56 am

Discouraging buyers while the device is generating lots of interest is insane, chances are many who will buy one on a whim now as a media player won't bother in 2 months time as there may be new geek toys in the news.  It could be argued that the serious hobbyist will buy one regardless, so we should prioritise the initial batch for the casually interested to ensure maximum market penetration.

As long as I get one anyway

Return to “General discussion”