plrw

Re: For those looking for a mediaplayer only

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:32 pm

For those looking for a mediaplayer only, how about getting a Moboplay instead, with the adapter, casing and cables plus wifi stick the prices are probably comparable to what you would ahve to spend on the raspberry as a mediaplayer.

So now you can leave the raspberry for us hobbyists/programmers

cowfodder

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Or, alternatively, buy a Pi when it comes out so that the foundation gets money.

hyena

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:58 pm

why not the roku box as its the pi inside .. even comes in 2 versions with and without ethernet ... the "best" pasrt of the pi technology wise is the GPU (for media purposes) .. the CPU/256mb memory is pretty weak spec wise in comparison to whats arouns in the same (or cheaper price range) .. the Allwinner A10 for example.

if the foundations aims are to be met then the pi .. pi2 etc will have to have attract a diverse user range from people looking for a cheap media player ... through those people looking for a cheap platform for small scale school and developement projects (eg battery powered climate sensor devices)  .. to the niche discount beagleboarders

Currently I use a hacked iconnect (plug compouter) which runs my squeezebox server, openvpn server (so my tablet doesnt get hacked on hotspots) and dlna server streaming vids and pics to my TV  .. its used 24/7 for a real useful application

the plug is about the same grunt/memory  as the pi CPU wise (though the pi has a FPU so great for transcoding) and though its on the limit memorywise for the squeezebox server (uses the swap a fair bit) its a great very low power solution

all this was made possible by a vibrant hacking community hacking these pretty useless devices in to something extremely useful  ... all this leads to more community applications ..  the $5 keyring picture frame as a screen  .. etc etc  ... its been a great community learning process for people joining the scene .. hacking serial to usb cables, learning about linux .. terminal emulators, SSH servers etc  .. key driver for most people is getting something useful for not as lot the learning comes through in getting to the goal :-)

nowadays we would all have reached for the pi as we wouldnt need to go through the pain of hacking usb to serial nokia leads and hacking the uboot/kernel on the thing

its no coincidence that Eben is putting out max publicity on getting xmbc on the pi and claiming the GPU is better than that on the tegra 2 ... because it will drive a lot of people to the pi and build a community around the device (and hopefully future ones) quickly.

all IMHO anyway

Pugsy

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 pm

I don't think you should be trying to talk people out of buying a raspberry on the Raspberry Pi site just so you have a better chance of bagging one of the first batch yourself.

There have been similar Sumvision mediaplayers available for under £30 in the UK for well over a year that play anything upto 1080p stuff. As far as I can see there are four problems with them:-

1. The software is not upgradable and it's nowhere near as user friendly, gorgeous or configurable as XBMC.

2. They don't include a wired network connection as standard, sure you can buy a wireless adaptor but that's no good for hi-def streaming.

3. The remote controls are the worst ever made (you can replace them with programmable remote obviously,  I also much prefer the fact that I can use a full keyboard with XBMC.

4. And most importantly....they cannot be used for anything else. Swap the SD Card and you can browse the internet, and you are not even starting to touch the hobbyist potential   /me salivates.

axiomprime

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:13 pm

To those planning on using it as a media player only, buy one. Maybe someone else in your life will find some excellent uses for it. Maybe you'll use it to turn your TV into a "smart" TV. At worst, you've got a nice media player and you've given money to charity at the same time.

plrw

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Always a big topic

If each batch is going to be 10 000 rpi"s and they need to wait for the money before ordering the next batch from manufacturer it"s goign to take past the summer to fufill all the 70K+ people signed up on the mailinglist.

And there is probably a lot more interested that haven"t signed up on that list, so something has to be done to keep the foundations goals and since there are alternatives for those wanting a mediaplayer in the very same pricerange just get one of those please !

I seriously doubt the foundation will have a problem selling the first batches even without the mediaplayer angle.

Also, for most people setting up as a mediaplayer a finished nicely packaged product like the Moboplay or similar is a lot less hassle.

spamel

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:30 pm

I don"t get where people gain their info from. How does anybody, who isn"t directly connected with the foundation, know the quantity of each run on production? Just because they did ten thousand on the initial run, who is to say they won"t change the number of units for the next run? Also, the initial run would require tooling to start production which won"t be required on subsequent runs if the same place is used for the next run, so they shouldn"t take so long. All of these insightful comments on how fast they will sell, how long it will take for the second run and so on is just supposition on the part of the posters. Why not just wait out and see what transpires?

hyena

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:54 pm

come on lets get off this moboplay stuff .. its just a branded clone of the £20 devices ebuyer knock out which are fine for playing knocked off films downloaded from the internet over a hdmi cable to the tv .. this one looks like you can plug in a wifi stick (at extra cost) and view network shares on your other devices as well .. pretty limited  ... especially over wifi .. you will not doubt have to get used to watching stuttering video

if you want a not so cheap and cheerful no brainer solution then buy it ! ... personally if i were looking for a no brainer solution i would go for the roku box or one of the latest gen of android set top boxes  .. but youre then with import duty in to multiple pi cost territory

tek-monkey

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:05 pm

I am very interested in an rpi, and will most definately be putting XBMC on one of my SD cards to have a play.  Why wouldn't I, its a very impressive device/software combination.  It won't replace the AC Ryans I have though, and I got those second hand on the bay for <£40 each so not a massive extra cost for a decent remote etc.

The thing is, it will get more people interested.  A bit like the hacking community for routers, most people wouldn't buy one to hack but many if they have one will hack it.  Get this into peoples hands as a cheap media center, and more will buy it.  If only a few % of those people go on to use it for something else then surely it is a success?

I already know a few mates who are curious about the device, but not sold.  If I turn up to their house with this little PC in my pocket, whip out my phone to control it and have media stream straight from my own server at home (I have 5Mb upstream so SD only!), they will be more likely to buy one.  Get a pi in every house, more if possible!  I just wish I'd got one of the £25 projectors off HUKD last summer, would have made an awesome combo with this!

Goggles2114

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:27 pm

You can have your Pi as a media server. Then you can swap cards out and go full on Productivity, or Internet WebTV thing, or home server...

It's the flexibility, even though I'm no programmer, that gets me interested. Family isn't convinced yet. They will be when I turn my old Standard Def tv into a Smart tv. Al at a fraction of the cost of their Giant Screen LCD TV.

aeiah

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Its about flexibility, which isn't something you get with normal media players. With the raspi i can have python scripts to automatically publish a catalogue of my movies to a remote server, i can automate torrent downloads, play music on the raspi and control it from another device (using mpd), serve files over nfs on my lan, and then do all the stuff xbmc offers through the stock install and all the add-ons (youtube, revision 3, grooveshark).

xbmc isn't an enemy anyway. Along with possibly OpenWRT, I can't think of another project so successful that has required such a hardware/software hacker ethic from the developers. Of course people will just stick it on and not use the raspi for anything else, but the feature requests these consumers ask for will spur on development and get casual users involved in a device they wouldn't normally be exposed to.

aperry

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Someone let me know when the non-internet-enabled Moboplay can run XBMC!

Xeno43

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:05 pm

plrw said:

For those looking for a mediaplayer only, how about getting a Moboplay instead, with the adapter, casing and cables plus wifi stick the prices are probably comparable to what you would ahve to spend on the raspberry as a mediaplayer.

Thanks to your obnoxious suggestion, I will now be buying more from the initial batch than I originally planned. Sadly, one of them will still be a toy for me to play with The raspberrypi is cheaper then any other similar device out there, and JUST as easy to set up. Lol it runs off an SD card :/ hardly a challenge.

Have a nice day

hyena

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:18 pm

ps .. you dont need to swap cards on the pi .. it will multitask :-)

the utility of this device is its flexibility .. the hacked plug computers were tremendously useful (for doing real things - internet/media servers, dlna etc) with a super low power footprint .. this basically has a floating point unit (so good for transcoding video and audio as well) and GPU and of course you dont need to hack it and all for £30

dont get me wrong i'm not pi eyed   .. the cpu lacks grunt and the memory is too constrained (compared to its SOC competition in its price range) but for £30 its a pretty good start if you cant order 100k SOC's M.O.Q.  and theres nothing around thats better and open for anywhere near this price

if anyone remembers back to the bbc micro i wonder how many kids were snared by Elite  and went on to code ...     ... went on to give the UK  ARM and a shedload of game developers .. lets hope we get the same again but the govt, teaching profession and school governors (and the devils rear end - the LEA's)  dont throw it away this time

Luny

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Although having restraints is a good thing for a learner as well.

Most of the best embedded guys cut their teeth on the old school micros. I went from embedded to huge Stock Market software on the PCs. But my embedded skills still come into play as performance and memory are just as important on the software I currently write.

It is so easy to forget about good coding on huge PCs with plenty of grunt and memory.

On a different note, I was reflecting on how an Archimedes helped me get my first developers job. I grew up on the 8 bits, but never really got my act together to go professional and instead spent 10 years in BT. When I finally had had enough, I was really getting into ARM and writing small games on the Arc. The developers job I finally got was for an ARM developer, as they were going to move from a 68k to an ARM platform. The funny thing is it never happened, they went bust and I didn't touch ARM for another 12 years, until 2010 when the company I was at actually went onto an ARM and I had to write some low level graphic routines.

Hopefully with a Pi, I can do a bit more
Luny

Prometheus

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:38 pm

plrw said:

What about those who aren"t programmers, who will "just" be using it as a computer?

I am one of those (and I won"t be buying for a few months, for the record). I can"t code, but I sure can write, and I hope to be able to make myself useful via that. Don"t want the likes of us buying, either?

I must admit, I never even considered a media-player until now – I'll probably get an extra one for just that, at some point, now!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:47 pm

If you're looking to use it as a media player only, I can speak on behalf of the foundation and say PLEASE BUY IT. We are not interested in establishing any sort of hacker purchasing apartheid.

OP's suggestion is horribly solipsistic. There are several threads active at the moment with people complaining that people who are *not like them* might be buying the Raspberry Pi. As far as the Foundation is concerned, that's a great thing. The more we sell, the more we can make. The more Raspberry Pis that go out into the world as media players, the more likely we are to see them fall into the hands of kids *and* adults who find that actually, this programming thing isn't as opaque as they thought.

And the poster above who posited that all batches will be 10k in size is dead wrong, BTW.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Gert van Loo

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:58 pm

solipsistic

I had to look that one up.

WereCatf

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Gert said:

solipsistic

I looked "fabulous" up out of curiosity, all I got was Liz's avatar.

grumpyoldgit

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:22 pm

WereCatf said:

Gert said:

solipsistic

You'll have to do better than that to get to the front of the Pi queue!

WereCatf

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

WereCatf said:

Gert said:

solipsistic

You'll have to do better than that to get to the front of the Pi queue!

I could do much better than that, but she's unfortunately straight :<

liz

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Straight but easily flattered. Keep it up and I will relax my no queue-jumping rule.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

hippy

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:41 pm

spamel said:

I don"t get where people gain their info from. How does anybody, who isn"t directly connected with the foundation, know the quantity of each run on production? Just because they did ten thousand on the initial run, who is to say they won"t change the number of units for the next run?

I would imagine estimates on production batches come from the interviews Eben gave to Business Insider and others ...

http://www.businessinsider.com.....ld-2011-12

"Around 10,000 units should be available once or twice a month. There's an upper limit of about 100,000 that the Raspberry Pi foundation can produce in a year, though."

However, that's not the whole of it. Eben is also quoted as saying, "With best use of working capital you can build 100,000 devices each year, to scale we'll have to raise additional capital". So there is potential for more than 100K a year.

scep

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:42 pm

liz said:

Straight but easily flattered. Keep it up and I will relax my no queue-jumping rule.

[ummm.... thinks....]

I Googled "dead good and that" and I got a picture of Eben.

colbyparsons

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Personally, I plan to use this as a mediaplayer, but not for watching movies and TV shows.  As an artist who uses video projection in my work, I have waited years for someone to come up with an affordable unit that will allow the level of control generally only possible on a computer -- but in a size that can be easily tucked away.

The most important feature that is possible on a computer, and not possible so far on any media player I know of (except for commercial signage units, which are much too expensive for me) is uninterrupted looping.  Lots of media players can be set to loop, although on some it can be hard to figure out how, but I have yet to find one that loops with no break in the image and sound.

Furthermore, using a raspberry pi (or one of the similar types of mini computers currently on the cusp of availability) potentially allows for much more sophisticated interactivity to a video or audio artwork, since add-on boards will allow for sensor inputs, and outputs that could control lights, motors, etc.

These types of possibilities already exist, but never before in quite so small a form and at a price that would allow me to make a whole exhibition full of work for only several hundred dollars rather than several thousand.

If anyone reading this knows of a solution I'm not aware of that has true looping for close to this price, please mention it.  I have seen the Moboplay mentioned here -- I'd bet that it doesn't do real looping (the feature list says it does "repeat").  I know about the cu-box, but I'm not yet sure whether it will loop the way I want it to, and I doubt it will have the potential to be interactive in the way I'd like.  I know about the allwinner, and I expect that will have similar potential to the pi.

Return to “General discussion”