SkywalkerSW5

Etcher for Raspberry Pi

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:15 pm

Hello

I wanted to run Etcher on my Raspberry Pi, but the prebuilt app is only for x86 computers. I don't know if this has been made before, but I compiled it (from source on Raspberry Pi 3) and made into a Raspberry Pi Application.

Here is the link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L5D8l_ ... sp=sharing

After installing run *etcher* in the terminal, and it should launch!
Random dude. Likes dogs. And Linux. Complete NOOB.

DougieLawson

Re: Etcher for Raspberry Pi

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:27 pm

SkywalkerSW5 wrote:
Hello

I wanted to run Etcher on my Raspberry Pi ...
Why?
To copy the active SDCard use the piclone.
To write an *.IMG file to an SDCard search the forum and learn how to do it with dd or gzip.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

SkywalkerSW5

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:34 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
SkywalkerSW5 wrote:
Hello

Why?
To write an *.IMG file to an SDCard search the forum and learn how to do it with dd or gzip.
The pi is my only computer and I was writing a FreeBSD image to an SD card but didn't want to use DD

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:50 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
SkywalkerSW5 wrote:
Hello

Why?
Why not?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Heater

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:53 pm

Sounds cool to me.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:50 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
SkywalkerSW5 wrote:
Hello

Why?
Why not?
Because I hate GUIs. Computers should work in 24 lines of 80 characters in green letters on a black background. Anything else is borderline lipstick on a pig.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=252758 covers a lot of the stuff the OP is asking about.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Heater

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:00 pm

But, but, our OP, SkywalkerSW5, was not asking anything. Rather presenting something they had made that others may find useful.

Which is jolly nice.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ejolson

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm

Heater wrote:
Which is jolly nice.
Agreed. I have successfully used dd for writing images for many years without accidentally targeting the wrong drive, however, I get nervous an accident will happen, especially when using a system with many attached disks.

Thanks to the OP for sharing a solution!

SkywalkerSW5

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:32 am

ejolson wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm
Heater wrote:
Which is jolly nice.
Agreed. I have successfully used dd for writing images for many years without accidentally targeting the wrong drive, however, I get nervous an accident will happen, especially when using a system with many attached disks.

Thanks to the OP for sharing a solution!
Thanks!

DarkElvenAngel

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:34 am

One of our other forum members bzt has made an excellent program USBimager

https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager

And it runs on multiple platforms including the raspbian desktop

leticia1379

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:09 am

https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager .

And it runs on multiple platforms including the raspbian desktop yup its work like charm
Last edited by leticia1379 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.Goode

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:05 pm

Raspberry Pi themselves now have their own utility for this task.

Introducing Raspberry Pi Imager, our new imaging utility

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... g-utility/

Botspot

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:21 pm

And just to throw mine in, Pi Power Tools includes an SD card imager and runs in Raspbian.

Here's its unique feature: It can flash directly from the Internet.
This is perfect for a Pi that does not have 4GB of free space to store a disk image.

Oh, and did I mention how fast it is? On a good internet connection only 3.7 minutes to flash Raspbian Desktop.
Last edited by Botspot on Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to make your own Raspbian image?
  • Hard way: Mess with confusing terminal commands.
  • Easy way: Let Pi-Power-Tools do it all for you!
Boot your image in a VM, Flash from the Internet at top speed, Mount (to drop files in), Edit partitions, Shrink/Expand, Repair, and more. Enjoy! :)
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools

B.Goode

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:28 pm

Botspot wrote:
And just to throw mine in, Pi Power Tools includes an SD card imager and runs in Raspbian.

No, not unique -
Once you’ve selected an operating system from the available options, the utility reads the relevant file directly from our website and writes it straight to the SD card. This speeds up the process quite considerably compared to the standard process of reading it from the website, writing it to a file on your hard drive, and then, as a separate step, reading it back from the hard drive and writing it to the SD card.

Ref: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... g-utility/

Botspot

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:47 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:28 pm
Botspot wrote:

No, not unique -
Once you’ve selected an operating system from the available options, the utility reads the relevant file directly from our website and writes it straight to the SD card.

Still unique for two reasons:
  • That Raspberry Pi Imager does not run in Raspbian. (Though it probably will eventually)
    From today, Raspberry Pi users will be able to download and use the new Raspberry Pi Imager, available for Windows, macOS and Ubuntu.
  • And, I released Pi Power Tools a day before Gordon released Raspberry Pi Imager.
Want to make your own Raspbian image?
  • Hard way: Mess with confusing terminal commands.
  • Easy way: Let Pi-Power-Tools do it all for you!
Boot your image in a VM, Flash from the Internet at top speed, Mount (to drop files in), Edit partitions, Shrink/Expand, Repair, and more. Enjoy! :)
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools

PeterO

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:58 pm

Botspot wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:47 pm
[*]That Raspberry Pi Imager does not run in Raspbian. (Though it probably will eventually)
But it does run on the platforms that beginners are most likely to have access to, where as yours has a "Chicken and Egg" failure for beginners.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:07 pm

Raspberry Pi imager writes to the SD card as it receives data, but also caches the data on the HD, so the next time you flash it does not need to do the download.

We are currently building it for Raspbian, so that should be in the repo's soon.

It's deliberately as simple as possible - select and write.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

bzt

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi,

Looking at the competition, I'm relieved :-)

Out of these, only USBImager is capable of creating backups and saving image files.

Pi Power Tools unfortunately has a nasty licensing issue with RonR's tool, and it is not multiplatform.

These solutions are not multilingual, at least they are certainly not available in my native language. The bigger problem is, Raspberry Pi Imager does not support localized filenames either. It can open Latin-1 filenames only, so having a localized "Downloads" folder with the image file in it renders the tool completely unusable :-( USBImager is not limited to any encoding in file operations, supports all; and it correctly displays at least UTF-8 UNICODE filenames no matter the platform or the backend.

Writing an image directly from the internet is a really bad idea. There's only one reason to do so, when you simply don't have enough disk space to store the image locally. Since both solutions store the downloaded image locally, there's no benefit at all, you WILL run out of disk space. USBImager instead simply supports piping, so you can do "wget | usbimager" if you are brave and really want to write directly from the internet. This solution literally requires zero local storage space :-)

And lastly, both solutions has enormous amount of dependencies (yad, RonR's imager, Qt, Qml, OpenSSL, libarchive etc. etc. etc.). USBImager is a single portable executable which is less than 256K on all platforms and has absolutely no dependency whatsoever ;-) (more precisely USBImager depends on just a few libraries which are shipped by default on all platforms, everything else implemented or statically linked into that 256K. No need to install anything!)

Cheers,
bzt

jamesh

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:25 pm

Thanks for the bug report, will get that non-latin path problems sorted, and I believe multi language support is one the way for Raspberry Pi Imager, only a few things to change.

As for writing as you download, since we cache at the same time, there is little to distinguish between that and download then write, apart from the new scheme being faster.

We don't backup images - this tool is deliberately as simple as possible, and we already have the Pi copy app for making backups.

bzt

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:45 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thanks for the bug report, will get that non-latin path problems sorted, and I believe multi language support is one the way for Raspberry Pi Imager, only a few things to change.
Thank you! Don't get me wrong, I like Raspberry Pi Imager very much (lightyears better than etcher), and I really wish if you were advertising it on the site instead of etcher. My only problem is my old dad can't use it as he has a localized Windows and speaks one language only. Also I find it hard to get all the required dependencies under XP (although it is not impossible, I don't think an average user can deal with it).

EDIT: now I see you have already replaced the link on the site, great! Bye-bye bloated spyware! :-)
Opps, I have to take it back: the Installing operating system images page and the Windows page still recommends balenaEtcher, I think you should link that to Raspberry Pi Imager too. It would be great if you could mention USBImager as an option under Windows, it would be very much appreciated.
jamesh wrote:As for writing as you download, since we cache at the same time, there is little to distinguish between that and download then write, apart from the new scheme being faster.
Yes, but cache fills up disk storage too. If you wanted to write from the internet because you lack enough disk space, cache won't solve anything. It would be great to have a checkbox for "cache image locally", checked by default with the option to uncheck it.
jamesh wrote:We don't backup images - this tool is deliberately as simple as possible, and we already have the Pi copy app for making backups.
Yeah, I know. USBImager did not support backups at first either for exactly the same reason, but there was a strong demand from the users, that's why I've added it.

Cheers,
bzt

incognitum

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:27 pm

bzt wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm
The bigger problem is, Raspberry Pi Imager does not support localized filenames either. It can open Latin-1 filenames only, so having a localized "Downloads" folder with the image file in it renders the tool completely unusable
Sounds like a bug.

The Qt GUI code itself does support internationalization (QString = 16-bit unicode), however reading the input file is currently outsourced to libcurl to get the same code path no matter if the file comes from the Internet or is local.
Perhaps that does not support localized names on every platform, or something goes wrong when converting the filename to utf-8 file:/// url.
I am sure another way can be found to handle local files, if that turns out to be a problem.
Since both solutions store the downloaded image locally, there's no benefit at all, you WILL run out of disk space.
Will only cache the file if there is >5 GB available disk space.
If not, it will just stream without saving.

jamesh

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:34 pm

bzt wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:45 pm
jamesh wrote:
Thank you! Don't get me wrong, I like Raspberry Pi Imager very much (lightyears better than etcher), and I really wish if you were advertising it on the site instead of etcher. My only problem is my old dad can't use it as he has a localized Windows and speaks one language only. Also I find it hard to get all the required dependencies under XP (although it is not impossible, I don't think an average user can deal with it).

EDIT: now I see you have already replaced the link on the site, great! Bye-bye bloated spyware! :-)
Opps, I have to take it back: the Installing operating system images page and the Windows page still recommends balenaEtcher, I think you should link that to Raspberry Pi Imager too. It would be great if you could mention USBImager as an option under Windows, it would be very much appreciated.
jamesh wrote:As for writing as you download, since we cache at the same time, there is little to distinguish between that and download then write, apart from the new scheme being faster.
Yes, but cache fills up disk storage too. If you wanted to write from the internet because you lack enough disk space, cache won't solve anything. It would be great to have a checkbox for "cache image locally", checked by default with the option to uncheck it.
jamesh wrote:We don't backup images - this tool is deliberately as simple as possible, and we already have the Pi copy app for making backups.
Yeah, I know. USBImager did not support backups at first either for exactly the same reason, but there was a strong demand from the users, that's why I've added it.

Cheers,
bzt
The docs changes have already been done and are being copy edited. Should be live by the weekend.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/pull/1428

bzt

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:19 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:34 pm
The docs changes have already been done and are being copy edited. Should be live by the weekend.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/pull/1428
Great! Thank you! Would it be possible to mention USBImager along with the other alternatives? It does run under all mainstream OSes and WinXP too (don't ask, just believe me it is a valid use-case, users specifically asked for XP support).
incognitum wrote:Sounds like a bug.
I haven't checked the whole source, but I suspect maybe this line has something to do with it?
incognitum wrote:Will only cache the file if there is >5 GB available disk space.
Good that you have thought of that! The problem with this is however that most Linux distributions report out of disk space error for non-root users when free space goes below 5% (which can be greater than 5GB). Maybe "available space - image size > 5%"? I think setting IMAGEWRITER_MINIMAL_SPACE_FOR_CACHING to MAX(total*5%, 5GB) instead of a constant will work perfectly on all configurations.

It is so great that you're now having your own Raspberry Pi Imager, well done!

Cheers,
bzt

hippy

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:27 pm

@bzt : Just a FYI that the download of the Windows version from https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager is being reported as unsafe by Norton Security and auto-deleted on my Windows 7 PC. Odd thing is; only when run, not when scanned.

bzt

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:55 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:27 pm
@bzt : Just a FYI that the download of the Windows version from https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager is being reported as unsafe by Norton Security and auto-deleted on my Windows 7 PC. Odd thing is; only when run, not when scanned.
Thanks for the heads up! I'm not familiar with Norton Security myself, but there must be a way to mark it as safe and prevent auto-deletion. It is guaranteed to be virus-free, and I know that more anti-virus scanned it and reported as safe (AVG among others):
But if you don't trust the downloaded zip just because, you can always compile it from source; it is Free and Open Source Software and compilation is straightforward, just run "make" (no additional packages nor libraries needed, default MinGW installation has everything).

EDIT: this might help. It says: "For the files of unknown reputation levels, Download Insight prompts you to select an action that you want to perform on the file." Also here's a step-by-step how to on how to send usbimager.exe to Symantec for analysis if you're still in doubt (I would do this myself, but I don't have Norton Security).

Cheers,
bzt
Last edited by bzt on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion”