jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: `Cannot Join if Under 13

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Max wrote:
DrPiD wrote: Just to clear something up, IndieCity will not sell your details.
Good.
So for what other purpose do you need the personal information, when processing a free download?
DrPiD wrote: You can read the Privacy Policy which gives you the lowdown on what can be done with your information.
That does not provide much reassurance, because -as mentioned before in another thread- the privacy policy is open-ended and allows future changes at any time without seeking the user's consent (notification does NOT equal consent).
Besides that the currently policy already allows the disclosure of personal information to prospective buyer of assets, and users can be considered an asset.
Let me reiterate. If you don't like the terms and conditions, you are under no obligation to use the service. In much the same way as I do not use services where I do not agree with the terms and conditions or business ethics or whatever (e.g. Sky TV, Apple products, Ferrari cars). I also manage to not inundate these companies with complaints about their services, which I don't even use.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Max

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Nobody is promoting the use of Ferraris in classrooms...

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:31 pm

the Pi store is not needed for classrooms
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Max

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 pm

RaTTuS wrote:the Pi store is not needed for classrooms
It is starting to get promoted in the educational material.

E.g.: http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/125292-ras ... s-link.pdf (for LibreOffice)

And previously on the official rPi blog as the place to get the educational manual (now has a normal download link as well).

jamesh

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Max wrote:Nobody is promoting the use of Ferraris in classrooms...
Really?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

DrPiD

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Max wrote: So for what other purpose do you need the personal information, when processing a free download?
When we started IndieCity we wanted to allow users to log in to the download client from anywhere and have access to their whole library. It wasn't a design decision taken with the Pi Store in mind as that wasn't even on the horizon when we started the service, but we still felt it would be a useful addition.

As the Pi Store is using IndieCity then it uses the same systems as IndieCity.
Max wrote: That does not provide much reassurance, because -as mentioned before in another thread- the privacy policy is open-ended and allows future changes at any time without seeking the user's consent (notification does NOT equal consent).
Besides that the currently policy already allows the disclosure of personal information to prospective buyer of assets, and users can be considered an asset.
These clauses are in the instance of IndieCity being sold, allowing a new owner to continue running the service.

Our legals were actually altered specifically for the Pi Store to allow us to share information with the Foundation, otherwise with our old terms we would not have been able to.
Community Manager - IndieCity

Max

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:56 pm

DrPiD wrote:
Max wrote: That does not provide much reassurance, because -as mentioned before in another thread- the privacy policy is open-ended and allows future changes at any time without seeking the user's consent (notification does NOT equal consent).
These clauses are in the instance of IndieCity being sold, allowing a new owner to continue running the service.
Would it be possible to change that to a more user-friendly construct in which the user is given 30 days advance notice of any changes to the policy, and the option to terminate his account if he doesn't agree to them?

jamesh

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Max wrote:
DrPiD wrote:
Would it be possible to change that to a more user-friendly construct in which the user is given 30 days advance notice of any changes to the policy, and the option to terminate his account if he doesn't agree to them?
Good grief. Is it really so important that you think Indiecity need to get contracts changed with all the associated legal and infrastructure costs? They make very little out of this venture as it is. That would probably push them past the point of 'is it worth it'.

Just don't use it. You'll be happier, Indiecity will be happier, and I'll be happier.

abishur

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:54 am

Max wrote:
DrPiD wrote: Just to clear something up, IndieCity will not sell your details.
Good.
So for what other purpose do you need the personal information, when processing a free download?
DrPiD wrote: You can read the Privacy Policy which gives you the lowdown on what can be done with your information.
That does not provide much reassurance, because -as mentioned before in another thread- the privacy policy is open-ended and allows future changes at any time without seeking the user's consent (notification does NOT equal consent).
At this point Max, I fear the answer is you need to talk to IndieCity directly to find out why *they* require it. ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”