DarkElvenAngel

Re: USB image writer

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Bzt,

I may have found a bug. I just did a backup of a SD card then I wrote a new image to it but it looks like it either did nothing to the card or wrote the old image back.

Steps to reproduce:

Open USBimager 1.0.2
Select image to write
Read image from card
Write image

Anyone else can confirm this?
I'm using the Linux amd64.deb on Mint

bzt

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi,

This is the expected behavior. Pressing "Read" will replace the image path with the new image's name, so that you can easily copy'n'paste the filename if you need it (under Windows it is also put to the clipboard, you can paste it right away). So the correct order would be:

Open USBimager 1.0.2
Read image from card
Select image to write
Write image

Cheers,
bzt

DarkElvenAngel

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:53 pm

bzt wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:40 pm
Hi,

This is the expected behavior. Pressing "Read" will replace the image path with the new image's name, so that you can easily copy'n'paste the filename if you need it (under Windows it is also put to the clipboard, you can paste it right away). So the correct order would be:

Open USBimager 1.0.2
Read image from card
Select image to write
Write image

Cheers,
bzt
The image name never changed in the UI. It makes sense that it should change.

bzt

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:10 pm

DarkElvenAngel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:53 pm
The image name never changed in the UI. It makes sense that it should change.
Oh I see. Yes, you're right, it should change. That's strange, as it is set for sure. Thank you for your feedback! I'll look into this.

EDIT: even stranger, the image path input box does change for me. This must be Unity related maybe? I think I'll use some more bullet-proof solution.

Cheers,
bzt

bzt

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:23 pm

Hi DarkElvenAngel,

I simply couldn't reproduce your issue. I've tried under Gnome and under Unity too, and I've also checked the MacOSX version (as it too uses libui). Just to be on the safe side, I've made some minor modifications: the input box is now refreshed on the same thread where the main loop is running, and I also re-enable the input box before the change and disable it again afterwards.

I've recompiled the ubuntu amd64 deb version for 1.0.2, but didn't increased the version number because nothing really changed. Hopefully this will solve the mysterious problem of yours.

Cheers,
bzt

sakaki

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 am

Hi bzt,

I've just pushed a 1.0.2 ebuild for usbimager; this now uses your versioned release tarball and Makefile install function, so should hopefully be easy to version bump for future releases.

Accordingly, users running the current v1.5.4 gentoo-on-rpi-64bit image can upgrade their usbimager to v1.0.2 now, by issuing:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ sudo emaint sync --repo sakaki-tools
[email protected] ~ $ sudo emerge -v1u app-admin/usbimager
Best, sakaki

Edit: add missing sudo
Last edited by sakaki on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bzt

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:18 am

Thank you very much, @sakaki! Awesome!

If you (or anybody else) like USBImager, please give a star to the repo. Thanks!

Cheers,
bzt

bzt

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:37 am

Dear All,

New version USBImager 1.0.3 is out. As usual lately, only minor modifications.

Changelog
  • Verified Japanese translation
  • On MacOSX, filter out USB dongles with device driver storages
  • Override backup directory from command line
Backups are saved onto your Desktop by default. If you specify an existing directory from the command line, then that directory will be use instead. This was asked for so that users can save backups to external disks too (you can specify "/media/younameit" as backup path for example, or "E:\" under Windows).

Cheers,
bzt

Return to “General discussion”