vitaminjayz

Re: Can android os be ported

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:20 pm

As the title says just wondering if I could use android

WereCatf

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Android is open-source, so in theory it could be ported. The first issue however comes with drivers as someone would need to code those. The second issue is obviously input devices as Android is primarily meant to be used with touch, not mouse+keyboard. That said I am fairly certain someone will compile a rudimentary Android implementation for RPi.

vitaminjayz

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Hmm maybe a touch screen mod.

spurious

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Is this an electric sheep?  ;)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Oops - thought I'd answered this already in the last couple of days, but it must have been on Twitter rather than here. In short, yes; there's no reason it shouldn't be ported. The Android community's massive, so I hope we'll see a port appear some time after we've released the Raspberry Pi into the wild.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

vitaminjayz

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:32 pm

.?

vitaminjayz

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Or maybe chrome os .

spurious

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:37 pm

vitaminjayz said:

.?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.....c_Sheep%3F

vitaminjayz

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:38 pm

vitaminjayz said:

.?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.....c_Sheep%3F

Oh I get ya lol very good ,seen that quote before but forgot all about it.

WereCatf

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 pm

I just have to wonder if Android will run well on RPi: Android uses Google's Java-like language which runs inside a VM and this obviously means that it consumes more CPU resources than native languages, and it consumes more memory. And RPi obviously lacks on both departments. Gingerbread might work on it useably, but I doubt ICS will.

Personally I will try to avoid any VM-languages for the aforementioned reasons and only use native code.

roelfrenkema

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 pm

liz said:

Oops - thought I'd answered this already in the last couple of days, but it

You did

must have been on Twitter rather than here. In short, yes; there's no reason it shouldn't be ported. The Android community's massive, so I hope we'll see a port appear some time after we've released the Raspberry Pi into the wild.

I am sure Cyanogen is waiting ....

ayemossum

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:27 am

WereCatf said:

Android is open-source, so in theory it could be ported. The first issue however comes with drivers as someone would need to code those. The second issue is obviously input devices as Android is primarily meant to be used with touch, not mouse+keyboard. That said I am fairly certain someone will compile a rudimentary Android implementation for RPi.

I would assume the drivers issue would be a relatively moot point.
Android is built on Linux, and since the RP is already running linux with full hardware support, the same kernel modules should work in Android.

laszlo

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:50 am

Admittedly I didn't scour every thread but I can't find any info about this..

Somewhat important for building your own linux distro such as android.. are the drivers for all the hardware available in source format?

I'm not a guru at this or anything but the other Broadcom SoCs I've hacked on (from routers/NAS devices) did not have full source code for the hardware drivers, in the GPL source download.  Instead they had a binary driver with a wrapper that would be compiled to fit it into your linux build.  I guess that's not so bad if it works, but I like to read the source code too.

I guess I don't much care what the license is, but for projects like openwrt, they can't support some of the platforms because there either is not any driver available or there is not an open source one that they can distribute (probably licensing related for some of them)

If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it, and I apologize if this has already been asked.

zester

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:45 am

vitaminjayz:

The only thing with Android that I see as a potential issue is with there display system there using Framebuffer <– EGL <– OpenGL ES. Not sure if Raspberry Pi will be able to render hardware accelerated GLES and EGL on the frame-buffer. If not you still might be able to get it to work with Mesa via software rendering on the framebuffer.

laszlo:

Ummm I do believe most of the drivers for Rasperry Pi are already in the Linux kernel with the exception for the Graphics and ..?.. driver.

There are no issues with shipping binary drivers  you just can"t distribute closed source binary"s pre-linked to gpl code.

There are tick's to having shipping a project in a seamless way with binary drivers we will have to see if the Broadcom drivers need to link to kernel code or what to know what the perfect setup will be.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:52 am

I'm of the opinion that ICS will be too much, and Gingerbread is the best option. But I think it will be pretty slow, and difficult to architect in the hardware acceleration for graphics since gingerbread doesn't use OpenGL/VG, so you need some sort of wrapper. A big job anyway.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

WereCatf

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 am

ayemossum said:

WereCatf said:

I would assume the drivers issue would be a relatively moot point.
Android is built on Linux, and since the RP is already running linux with full hardware support, the same kernel modules should work in Android.

There's much more to drivers than just kernel modules, mate. For example normal Linux distros use X.Org for graphics, whereas Android doesn't use it and that creates the issue of no drivers for it.

lb

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:15 pm

JamesH said:

I'm of the opinion that ICS will be too much, and Gingerbread is the best option. But I think it will be pretty slow, and difficult to architect in the hardware acceleration for graphics since gingerbread doesn't use OpenGL/VG, so you need some sort of wrapper. A big job anyway.

This is wrong. In fact Gingerbread uses OpenGL ES 1.1, and that's the only option officially supported, for composition with SurfaceFlinger. Rendering itself is not accelerated. I can imagine integration with EGL and the framebuffer might be a problem, though. We'd need a gralloc implementation specific to the Videocore IV.

jamesh

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Odd, not was I was lead to understand. Perhaps its accelerated OpenGL that's the problem - I know it's been a pain to get working on some other Broadcom chips using the same GPU. Maybe I just misunderstood what the team was telling me. More than likely! It might have been accelerated codec support he was talking about. I'll see if I can find out why it was painful tomorrow.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

KevH

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Android does not require a touch screen:

Problem is to my Kids a mouse and keyboard is something off of the 90s!

My 3 yr old can use my iPad! My 7yr old still can't use Windows !

This is a portent of the future, as teaching kids green screen in the 80s did not prepare them for the future, teaching kids Mouse and Keyboard in the 00s will not.

And why Python!!

MrStipo

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 pm

As of 2.3 Android has decent support for keyboard / mouse. It should run on any ARM processor, so yes it should run, but if it will run well is a whole other kitten

jamesh

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 pm

KevH said:

My 3 yr old can use my iPad! My 7yr old still can't use Windows !

This is a portent of the future, as teaching kids green screen in the 80s did not prepare them for the future, teaching kids Mouse and Keyboard in the 00s will not.

And why Python!!

Teaching keyboard/ mouse is still relevant. Touch screen are an utter pain in the bottom for the majority of tasks that you REALLY need a computer for - data entry, typing letters, spreadsheets. They are fine on tablets where data CONSUMPTION is the name of the game, but for data production there is still no substitute for the keyboard.

And Python? Why not? And why not any of the other programming languages available on the PI?

KevH

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:12 pm

JamesH said:

KevH said:

My 3 yr old can use my iPad! My 7yr old still can"t use Windows !

And why Python!!

Teaching keyboard/ mouse is still relevant. Touch screen are an utter pain in the bottom for the majority of tasks that you REALLY need a computer for – data entry, typing letters, spreadsheets. They are fine on tablets where data CONSUMPTION is the name of the game, but for data production there is still no substitute for the keyboard.

And Python? Why not? And why not any of the other programming languages available on the PI?

Wowa, major flash back to the 80s trying to convince my mates that a mouse had a future! Most people at the time thought it was a major pain taking your hands off the keyboard to waggle some stupid pointing device around!

Mobile phones are the primary access route to the net in the 3rd world, and with the advent of 'Pad's it's rapidly becoming the norm here.

I guess what I'm saying is that from my own experience of education, kid's learn better if what they are doing appears to them to be relevant.

It would be great if they could develop something on a Raspberry Pi (even using a keyboard and mouse) and then see it run on their mobile device

Oh and yes your right, keyboards are still best for data entry and to my old fashioned mind, the keyboard is the only real way to communicate with an OS )

However that may change, there is a lot of work going on to make touch devices give you the feedback of a keyboard.

Would have thought Java would have been the natural choice for the bundled language.

timgiles

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Great post James - agree 100%

Nibras

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Android should run just fine.

There are plenty of ARM11 600MHz mobile phones which have a fast, responsive Gingerbread/CM7 ports as well as working, useable ICS/CM9 ports. One example would be the phone am using. It's LG GT540 Optimus with MSM7227 ARM11 600MHz processor and 256MB RAM. In terms of raw power, Raspberry Pi could run Gingerbread and ICS.

Porting the drivers and getting your hands dirty is a totally different topic but yea, it's both theoretically possible and practical with enough developmental resources.

Having Android ported with Google Android market can vastly improve end user experience. There aren't a lot of apps for ARM Linux distros but Android, as a platform has loads and loads of app - an app for pretty much anything.

Return to “General discussion”