rin67630

The Brexit begins to bring consequences...

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 pm

I got today a popup at www.pimoroni.de that they will stop selling from Germany and will pursue their activities from Sheffield (GB).
Another one bits the dust.
They were my home shop, just e few KM away from my location.
I will NOT purchase from GB. Definitely not.

hippy

Re: The Brexit begins to bring consequences...

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:38 pm

As long as a company has a website in a language I know, accepts payment in my local currency, can deliver within a reasonable timeframe, accepts my payment method, and doesn't add excessive postage and packing costs - I've never worried much about where they are based or where the goods are shipped from.

I am not sure the closure of their German warehouse is because of brexit or not, but brexit is not going to be all bad news. AIUI European purchasers buying from the UK should no longer have to pay VAT so you would be able to buy Pi from the UK some 17% cheaper than those in the UK can.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:47 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 pm
I got today a popup at www.pimoroni.de that they will stop selling from Germany and will pursue their activities from Sheffield (GB).
Another one bits the dust.
They were my home shop, just e few KM away from my location.
I will NOT purchase from GB. Definitely not.
Why not? Raspberry Pi's are designed in the UK, manufactured in the Uk, software written in the Uk, and sold from the UK to the rest of the world.

(And no Brexit ranting from anyone please)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

JumpZero

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:10 pm

hippy wrote:
AIUI European purchasers buying from the UK should no longer have to pay VAT so you would be able to buy Pi from the UK some 17% cheaper than those in the UK can.
Yes but when the package reach the EU you'll have to pay the VAT of the destination country!
Theorically... Because sometimes when it's cheap enough the customs let it go. When I receive goods from Adafruit in the US sometimes it comes to home directly and sometimes I have to go to the post office and pay a custom clearance bill (VAT + fee)
good luck vs bad luck

buja

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:15 pm

hippy wrote:
As long as a company has a website in a language I know, accepts payment in my local currency, can deliver within a reasonable timeframe, accepts my payment method, and doesn't add excessive postage and packing costs - I've never worried much about where they are based or where the goods are shipped from.

I am not sure the closure of their German warehouse is because of brexit or not, but brexit is not going to be all bad news. AIUI European purchasers buying from the UK should no longer have to pay VAT so you would be able to buy Pi from the UK some 17% cheaper than those in the UK can.
Reduction of VAT on things bought in the UK, but chances are that on import you will have to pay local VAT.
For The Netherlands: subtract 17% UK VAT, add 21% NL VAT.
On the bright side: this will not happen until next year (2021), and even than it remains to be seen how customs will handle this (small packages, limited value).
On the not so bright side: if the shipping company handles the VAT it might charge a handling fee as well.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Raspberry Pi Products BoM are in $$$, therefore there will always be local taxes, currency exchange in whatever country one is buying.

Nothing to do with Brexit, WTO etal, and the OP stating something which is not actually mentioned in the statement is just ranting for the sake of ranting, no surprise there :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

B.Goode

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:36 pm

For clarity, to avoid second-guessing, this is a Google Translate into English version of the announcement being referred to..
We would like to inform you that we will close our warehouse in Germany for operational reasons and that all orders will be shipped from Sheffield (GB) with immediate effect.

It doesn't change that much! We will continue to process and ship your order with all dedication and professionalism and will be happy to assist you. Our support will also be available with the usual reliability. Germany is and remains our second strongest market (after our home market) and we remain connected to the local maker scene and all tech enthusiasts.

If you prefer to order directly in Germany, we understand that. We are working on expanding our distribution network in Germany and supplying it with supplies.
Ref: https://shop.pimoroni.de/

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:19 pm

hippy wrote:
A problem with just buying from anywhere in the world is "brokerage" charges. When a carrier collects local taxes on imports they often charge a fee for the privilege of having those taxes collected. This fee is often substantially more than the actual taxes.

Now some suppliers do handle the customs BS from their end, so what you see is what you pay, but this is certainly something you should check before ordering.

buja

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:29 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Raspberry Pi Products BoM are in $$$, therefore there will always be local taxes, currency exchange in whatever country one is buying.
You miss the point completely, this topic has nothing to do with the manufacturing costs of the Pi, expressed in dollars, Euros, rupees, yuans or whatever currency.
Topic starter sounds a bit bitter though, I am sure there are many alternatives in Germany (hint: https://shop.pimoroni.com/pages/worldwide-distributors).

Pimoroni made a business decision. I am sure Brexit was a factor, but simplifying operations might have been a good idea anyway.

I have been shopping in UK webshops before and I will continue to do so. It will not be worse than webshops in the US, Australia or China. Unless the politicians make a mess of it of course, I am afraid we cannot rule that possibility out completely.

echmain

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:33 pm

In the US, many Pimoroni products can be purchased at Microcenter stores.

Adafruit also carries many Pimoroni items.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:38 pm

buja wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
You miss the point completely, this topic has nothing to do with the manufacturing costs of the Pi, expressed in dollars, Euros, rupees, yuans or whatever currency.
Topic starter sounds a bit bitter though, I am sure there are many alternatives in Germany (hint: https://shop.pimoroni.com/pages/worldwide-distributors).

Pimoroni made a business decision. I am sure Brexit was a factor, but simplifying operations might have been a good idea anyway.

I have been shopping in UK webshops before and I will continue to do so. It will not be worse than webshops in the US, Australia or China. Unless the politicians make a mess of it of course, I am afraid we cannot rule that possibility out completely.

Not missed anything, just putting the right perspective on the blatant hyperbole by the OP :?
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

carbone

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:14 pm

UK Vat is 20% for most things and has been for over 9 years.

rin67630

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:25 pm

buja wrote:
Topic starter sounds a bit bitter though, I am sure there are many alternatives in Germany.
They were located quasi next door to me.
When I ordered till 12:00 I had it guaranteed next day. That is the point.

But on the other side, almost everything but the Pi4 and some 3A seem to be permanently unavailable.
:(

Where is the promise of years of supply? When will the Pi3B+ and the ZeroW be on shelf again?

jamesh

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:30 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:25 pm
buja wrote:
Topic starter sounds a bit bitter though, I am sure there are many alternatives in Germany.
They were located quasi next door to me.
When I ordered till 12:00 I had it guaranteed next day. That is the point.

But on the other side, almost everything but the Pi4 and some 3A seem to be permanently unavailable.
:(

Where is the promise of years of supply? When will the Pi3B+ and the ZeroW be on shelf again?
Soon, if not already. Demand over all the range is greater than supply, and manufacture is done in batches.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

rin67630

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:33 pm

jamesh wrote:
Why not?
Because Royal Mail took more than a week to deliver here, -within the EU- n.b.!
That will surely not be better in the future.
Only the Belgian mail is worse!

jamesh

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:33 pm
jamesh wrote:
Why not?
Because Royal Mail took more than a week to deliver here, -within the EU- n.b.!
That will surely not be better in the future.
Only the Belgian mail is worse!
Surely if you want fast delivery you just need to pay more? Royal Mail is cheap and slow, other carriers are more expensive and faster. Swings and roundabouts.

gkreidl

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:47 am

There are very good suppliers in Germany. My favourite one is now https://www.welectron.com/Raspberry-Pi_2 because he's got the Flirc cases in stock.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “General discussion”