hvc123

Re: If the first batch is to stimulate interest in development...

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:57 pm

i think that most if not all the first buyers of RPi are going to be 'hacker' not the hacker as in network but as in hardware project builders. and as such the may be detrimental is a massive MAY . take a look at Openwrt (one of my projects is going to be meshing in my and my neighbours hous with dual dsl, RPi is the cheapsest router i can source)  i know its an OS but look at the forums they are massive and bug bashing is foremost.

and hardware issues,well unless hardware gets cheaper than this is whats available.

Benedict White

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:59 pm

liz said:

I'm guessing that what the OP would really have liked is just enough PR for him to find out about it, and then NO MORE EVER AGAIN.

Unfortunately for me, the PR on this thing is a full-time job which I don't expect to have an opportunity for a break from for quite a while!

Er.. Liz, on the PR front, your are not doing a great job... you appear to be doing a fantastic job.

PR people would charge arctic  loads of cash to get the exposure you have. I suspect that the first batch will sell out in seconds and you will have site crash issues. I hope the second batch is on it's way.

ArborealSeer

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:01 pm

hvc123 you may well be right, i raised this issue because currently most of the recent news stories on this site, and the ones being reported by the non-"hacker" (tinkerer whatever) sites.. are along the lines of the XBMC and quake 3 ones.

As its been on gizmodo and slashdot I think more people know it for those things than anything else and dont know or even care about the goals of the project.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

hvc123

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Benedict White said:

liz said:

I'm guessing that what the OP would really have liked is just enough PR for him to find out about it, and then NO MORE EVER AGAIN.

Unfortunately for me, the PR on this thing is a full-time job which I don't expect to have an opportunity for a break from for quite a while!

Er.. Liz, on the PR front, your are not doing a great job... you appear to be doing a fantastic job.

PR people would charge arctic  loads of cash to get the exposure you have. I suspect that the first batch will sell out in seconds and you will have site crash issues. I hope the second batch is on it's way.

second that !

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:05 pm

The good news re the site crashing is that we're migrating to another server (donated to us by Webfusion, for which we're hugely grateful - I'll be making a big splash about it next week and kicking off a Supporters page) over the weekend. I believe management types call the sort of panic we're having about database errors and the length of time the first batch might last a "success disaster"; apparently you're meant to be grateful for success disasters. Ho hum.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

hvc123

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:08 pm

well thats what happens people have their own opinions and stuff if they care or not about the foundation, i have no doubt some people could not care less about anything but getting a piece of the Pi.

i have to agree with Benedict White the first batch will sell in seconds and crashes are inevitable. i think the Pi is massively more popular than you may think.

plus whos to know what deals are going on behind closed doors with education market and the government. in 5 years kids might not be using books anymore the may be using a Rpi + touch screen mash up instead

ArborealSeer

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:11 pm

ahh success disaster thats a new one on me..  kind of the opposite to one of my faves - "happy accident"

just don't let stephen fry tweet about Rpi til youre sure he can handle it.. he's worse than slashdot for killing sites!
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

axiomprime

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:11 pm

The OP has a totally legitimate concern that the, salt of the earth, unpaid coders, that sit up all night ironing bugs out of free software, won't be able to get their hands on a Pi and port a bunch of useful tools because too many machines will be sitting under HDTVs playing pirated movies.

There are some people that deserve a Pi that will have to wait for the second or third batch but I believe the overall benefit of the "HTPC effect" will be huge.

grumpyoldgit

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm curious about this "deserve" concept. When I go to Tesco to buy the weekly shop, I don't expect to be grilled at the checkout by a man with a clipboard who attempts to establish what I am going to use the various products for. Is he going to tell me that the recipe I intend to use is not worthy of the extremely fine ingredients I am trying to buy and that the customer behind me has a really nice St. Delia in mind, so please can I put the products back on the shelf and leave the premises?

fireraisr

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Gah! this thread is playing havoc with my dyslexia. Everytime I see PR I think RP and have to consciously shift acronyms.

fireraisr

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I'm curious about this "deserve" concept. When I go to Tesco to buy the weekly shop, I don't expect to be grilled at the checkout by a man with a clipboard who attempts to establish what I am going to use the various products for. Is he going to tell me that the recipe I intend to use is not worthy of the extremely fine ingredients I am trying to buy and that the customer behind me has a really nice St. Delia in mind, so please can I put the products back on the shelf and leave the premises?

I think black friday sales rules apply: If you didn't punch, trample or kill someone and you can pay for it, it's yours.

Speaking of deserve tho. Grumpyoldgit, if you get one can you please put it back on the shelf so I can buy it?

grumpyoldgit

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 pm

As I said on an earlier occasion, I intend to sellotape mine to a brick and use it as a door stop

liz

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

As I said on an earlier occasion, I intend to sellotape mine to a brick and use it as a door stop

I wonder if *that* would blend.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

axiomprime

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I don't think anyone's going to grill anyone about what they intend to use any product for. However, me and another guy at the checkout had a basket full of pineapples each. He was going to make something with them for a charity event and I was going to throw them from the sunroof of my Mercedes at children and old people.

scep

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 pm

Two years ago I was in a three month queue to buy a Kindle. There was no specific release date, just an estimate - you got it when you got it. Of course people quietly bitched because they really wanted one and were excited. But no one was ever confused enough to tell Amazon that they shouldn't sell the first batch to people who only read a few novels a year because they weren't hardcore readers and writers.

If every single one of the first 10k Pis go to people who just velcro them behind their telly and use it watch films - great! The next batch would be funded and the Foundation gets a bit closer to achieving its purpose: to sell a tiny, low cost PC that plugs into your telly to anyone who wants one.

TheEponymousBob

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Axiomprime said:
I don"t think anyone"s going to grill anyone about what they intend to use any product for. However, me and another guy at the checkout had a basket full of pineapples each. He was going to make something with them for a charity event and I was going to throw them from the sunroof of my Mercedes at children and old people.

Mmm... grilled pineapple...

Oh! Sorry. Carry on.

scep

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:46 pm

axiomprime said:

There are some people that deserve a Pi that will have to wait for the second or third batch

It's OK - Bono, Gwyneth Paltrow and the Dalai Lama have all had one put aside for them. Only one mind.

fireraisr

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 pm

hmm, I wonder how much 100 PO boxes would cost and whether or not the ebay proceeds would cover them....

Steady_Bear

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:08 am

liz said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

As I said on an earlier occasion, I intend to sellotape mine to a brick and use it as a door stop

I wonder if *that* would blend.

You see, some things deserve to be put through this ^^^. I think putting a RasPi through would be just wrong. I know it's an inanimate object, but I can't help but... you all know where I'm going.

I see the OP's point of view but I feel the pros and cons have not been weighed fairly. I'm from the H/W side of the industry BTW, so the following is from experience.

Alpha boards can be made to work, very easily (because an engineer is sitting there and forcing it with very nasty threats and language).

Beta boards can be outsourced and acquired in low volumes, and barring a small issue here and there, they work quite well.

The first run of production? In software this is normally called the pre-release stage, for a damned good reason.

I'm guessing the 10 Betas were manufactured over here. The next 10k will be printed in a new company, assembled in a new company (with a whole new pick'n'place setup), and then shipped out - sans-testing*.

Although the XBMCXYZ (I'm lousy with letters) is certainly not going to go a long way to helping the education sector it will give lots of people a chance to do some preliminary testing on what should be considered a whole new set of boards - the Betas count for squat; the Foundation may have it right, but who can speak for the manufacturers. So some basic testing is done.

Then, there's the old fogies** like me who intend to push it to the limits (okay, after I've turned it into a t'inter-web radio server so I can wake to Radio Caroline). We can feedback on the somewhat more hidden bugs and generate some nice packages - software and learning aids - for education purposes.

After this, well then it's safe to start selling to the schools.

There's no way of knowing who will do what with it so there is no way to discriminate (ask people and you'll only ever help the liars). By limiting to 1 per order the foundation has taken every means to make it more fair.

Now onto PR, and I'll try and keep this bit shorter...

Without PR the best of products won't sell (well they do, but the take up is slow, and many crash due to this). With PR the worst of products can sell like hotcakes - people genuinely believe the rubbish put on between and during shows, it's scary.

Also, there would be a lot of people saying "I'll wait until people can show me something working before I buy one", these people have now seen it; people=me BTW.

Buy one to play with, and if that doesn't work for you, you now have a super cheap 'home theater***' server.

* sans - Latin for without, I believe (it's those pesky fonts!). There will be some basic DC testing of the PCB, but they won't be testing each built unit. Not for <£25.

** I'm not old, and I'm too young to remember Radio Caroline. I was, however, brought up on tails of this fantastic ship! Always disappointed that I missed out.

*** I hope this has digital audio over the HDMI (not for my sake). Not the end of the world if it doesn't, but it would be a good to have.

If this were shorter people would read it; short and punchy=good PR. I love irony.

Answer to the maths question was incorrect?  WHAT! 7 + 10 = 17, surely! I took too long to type didn't I.

cowfodder

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:31 am

Well, being fully in the XBMC camp, you can probably guess what I think about this thread.  I first learned about the PI via the XBMC forums, and am eagerly awaiting a chance at one of the first units.  That being said, I plan on buying at least 1 more for myself to play around with, and as many as I can afford for the local hackerspace to teach people with.  I fail to see how all the PR about this unit as a potential media player can hurt.

scep

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:37 am

Steady_Bear said:

*** I hope this has digital audio over the HDMI (not for my sake). Not the end of the world if it doesn't, but it would be a good to have.

It does.

reallynotnick

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:31 am

Honestly I have no doubt it will work out no matter what happens, though I wouldn't mind like 10-50 being set aside for people who are able to make killer apps such as XBMC. I'm not sure what qualified XBMC to get early access to the Raspberry Pi but it would be nice if we got more developers like that on board early on so they have time to get working software out by the time the second or third batch is ready. I have no clue how you would qualify people and whatnot for such a special privilege though but I figure it's just a good idea to get at a least a few boards in the hands of people who are going to help further sell the system due to their software early on.

scep

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 am

reallynotnick said:

but I figure it's just a good idea to get at a least a few boards in the hands of people who are going to help further sell the system due to their software early on.

I think that we can rest assured that this will happen. But by defnition, anyone demanding to be at the front of the queue does not deserve to be there

hvc123

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am

i do like the "dont deserve it" part fantastic.

i wonder if the op is worrying about the massive take up of the pi that he/she wont be able to get one in the first batch because all us loonies in hacker space and the "cheap media player" hunters will get there first?

as far as i see as per my additions to this thread the more exposure to the general public and people who just want a RPi for a htpc the better. I.E more sales

even look at the amount of interest in the forums, theres nigh on 10k users, true i cant wait for mine to turn up but im not about to beg an plead. i will do the British thing and queue up

i also think this thread is pointless and needs to be closed.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:46 am

ArborealSeer said:

You think PR didn't bring it to the attention of the big american blogs in the first place? The slashdot story hints at a press release about the XBMC being mailshotted out.

The homepage reinforces the point. The second two stories on there are about using it as a media device. Nothing on there leaps out to people that the primary focus of the foundation ISN'T to supply a cheap HTPC.

Would you have prefered no news at all?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”