Botspot

Kernel updated, now fails to load kernel modules?

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:16 pm

I just did an update & upgrade last night. These packages were upgraded:
qtbase5-dev-tools libraspberrypi-bin rc-gui libraspberrypi-dev libqt5test5 libraspberrypi-doc qt5-gtk-platformtheme raspi-config libqt5opengl5-dev qt5-default libqt5dbus5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5widgets5 libqt5xml5 libqt5printsupport5 raspberrypi-kernel libqt5concurrent5 raspberrypi-bootloader libexif12 libqt5gui5 qt5-qmake libqt5core5a libraspberrypi0 x11-xserver-utils qtbase5-dev libqt5opengl5 libqt5network5 qt5-qmake-bin libqt5sql5
This morning I booted my Pi and got some errors, including Failed to load kernel modules.
The mouse and keyboard are not detected so I had to connect via VNC.
Running systemctl --failed yields three sytemd modules that failed to load:

Code: Select all

UNIT                          LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION                                  
● proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount loaded failed failed Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System
● hciuart.service               loaded failed failed Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART 
● systemd-modules-load.service  loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules
Not using the 64-bit kernel.
Last edited by Botspot on Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Introducing Pi-Power-Tools: The All-In-1 GUI Tool for Raspbian Images & SD Cards.
Boot in a VM, Flash directly from the Internet, Mount, Edit, Shrink, Expand, Repair, and much more.
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools
PS. Want to download an Img ASAP? PPT's Download mode is 2x as fast as Chromium. :mrgreen:

hippy

Re: Kernel update, now fails to load kernel module?

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Can't help, can only say it seemed to work for me when I upgraded last night and rebooted. I appear to be on the latest now. Pi 3B (non-plus), Buster with Desktop -

[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux Pi3B 4.19.97-v7+ #1294 SMP Thu Jan 30 13:15:58 GMT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

[email protected]:~ $ systemctl --failed
  UNIT                  LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION                  
â [email protected] loaded failed failed Raspberry Pi bluetooth helper
I don't know if the last is an actual error as I don't have Bluetooth enabled. Seems to work other than that; mouse, keyboard are fine.

Botspot

Re: Kernel updated, now fails to load kernel modules?

Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:04 pm

For all future readers who are having the same problem, this is what I did to fix it:

sudo apt install --reinstall rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images qtbase5-dev-tools libraspberrypi-bin rc-gui libraspberrypi-dev libqt5test5 libraspberrypi-doc qt5-gtk-platformtheme raspi-config libqt5opengl5-dev qt5-default libqt5dbus5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5widgets5 libqt5xml5 libqt5printsupport5 raspberrypi-kernel libqt5concurrent5 raspberrypi-bootloader libexif12 libqt5gui5 qt5-qmake libqt5core5a libraspberrypi0 x11-xserver-utils qtbase5-dev libqt5opengl5 libqt5network5 qt5-qmake-bin libqt5
Essentially I just reinstalled everything that was upgraded, + the RPi EEPROM, then rebooted. The keyboard and mouse are now recognized again, and systemctl --failed lists only one failed service which I don't care about anyway.
One of the packages during the upgrade must have not installed correctly. Reinstalling all of them did the trick.
Introducing Pi-Power-Tools: The All-In-1 GUI Tool for Raspbian Images & SD Cards.
Boot in a VM, Flash directly from the Internet, Mount, Edit, Shrink, Expand, Repair, and much more.
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools
PS. Want to download an Img ASAP? PPT's Download mode is 2x as fast as Chromium. :mrgreen:

Return to “General discussion”