Botspot

Re: New "Can't update Chromium" message?

Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 pm

peter.quiring wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:01 pm
I have the some problem on a kiosk with only a barcode scanner attached.
Problem is the popup steals the focus and the next input causes a popup asking user to install Google Chrome???
At that point the kiosk has to be rebooted which has caused great frustration.
Have you missed the solution?
This one-liner forces chromium to wait for a year before you see the message again.

Code: Select all

sudo touch /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/01-disable-update-check;echo CHROMIUM_FLAGS=\"\$\{CHROMIUM_FLAGS\} --check-for-update-interval=31536000\" | sudo tee /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/01-disable-update-check
Want to make your own Raspbian image?
  • Hard way: Mess with confusing terminal commands.
  • Easy way: Let Pi-Power-Tools do it all for you!
Boot your image in a VM, Flash from the Internet at top speed, Mount (to drop files in), Edit partitions, Shrink/Expand, Repair, and more. Enjoy! :)
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools

peter.quiring

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Botspot wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 pm

Have you missed the solution?
This one-liner forces chromium to wait for a year before you see the message again.
One Year? Ok, that should be good enough for now. Thanks,

dr.matt

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:03 am

If the RPI does not have internet connection / access to NTP server how does this command line work when the time gets reset on each boot up?

My assumption is it will reset the 1 year date each time the RPI is turned off (or Chromium is shut down?) and time is reset? So if you force the RPI to reboot at a time period less than 1 year it will never show the block up?

Or does the system somehow remember when the command is made (maybe by some saved internal count down timer) and it will show the popup exactly 1 year from when the command is issued?

If you want to have this last for 2 years do you just reenter the same command after one year and it resets this functionality?

Thanks

kerry_s

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:26 am

dr.matt wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:03 am
If the RPI does not have internet connection / access to NTP server how does this command line work when the time gets reset on each boot up?

My assumption is it will reset the 1 year date each time the RPI is turned off (or Chromium is shut down?) and time is reset? So if you force the RPI to reboot at a time period less than 1 year it will never show the block up?

Or does the system somehow remember when the command is made (maybe by some saved internal count down timer) and it will show the popup exactly 1 year from when the command is issued?

If you want to have this last for 2 years do you just reenter the same command after one year and it resets this functionality?

Thanks
chromium has to be open for a year for you to ever see that message again. to even see it the first time you have to have the browser open for 2 hours. so every time you open and close it resets the counter.

dr.matt

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:45 am

Super, thanks.

So if running in Kiosk mode I just need to force the system to do at least one auto reboot during the year and it wont show up.

I have just made the code addition so will leave it running in Kiosk mode and see what happens over next day, currently it pops up after 2 hours.

beta-tester

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:05 pm

what happens, when changing update interval to -1?
in many cases this will be interpreted as "all bits are 1" and this is the a number/date you normally will never experience.
(i don't have chromium installed anymore, so i can not test it by myself)
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

Return to “General discussion”