George441

Raspberry Pi 1 B booting Problem.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:50 pm

On my Pi B, I'm facing a booting problem. Greenlight is ok but Red light problem. Sometimes it is shown for 3-5 sec, then automatically off but the maximum time it did not show.
Please advise may i solve this manually or may i go to the customer care?
"Save a Tree - Save The Environment - Save Your Life "
=========================================================

Burngate

Re: Raspberry Pi 1 B booting Problem.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:09 pm

Your other (similar)post implies it's actually a Pi 4B, and the red LED going off supports this.

Whatever, it's almost certainly a power supply problem - the red LED should never go off.
What are you using to power your Pi?

The Troubleshooting subforum should be your first port of call, with https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151 as your bible

B.Goode

George441 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:50 pm
On my Pi B, I'm facing a booting problem. Greenlight is ok but Red light problem. Sometimes it is shown for 3-5 sec, then automatically off but the maximum time it did not show.
Please advise may i solve this manually or may i go to the customer care?

There is a summary of all the knowledge accumulated from these forums during the past 8 years about difficulties getting an RPi to boot, see - STICKY: Is your Pi not booting? (The Boot Problems Sticky) - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151

In particular, note this:
Check that your power supply and its USB cable is working and fit-for-purpose
This is sufficiently important that the B+ and Pi 2 PI3 and PI4 (but not the zero models) now contain a detector that signals bad power. On the model A and B the PWR LED was simply connected to power, but on later models of the Pi it is controlled by a "brownout detector" which will switch the LED off whenever the Pi receives insufficient power. The condition can also be read from software; the software can also override the brownout detector, and control the PWR LED directly. New software will now show a "rainbow square" in the GUI when a brownout event is detected. Brownouts are caused by an insufficient power supply and/or by a weak microUSB cable (one which is too long, with internal wires which are too thin). It is very important to ensure your power supply is fit-for-purpose, as brownouts can lead to SD card corruptions and boot problems. In any case, if the PWR LED ever goes out, or blinks, you have a power problem you need to solve. Note no RPI contains a battery, and so you should not use a charger, as even the best chargers are not designed to deliver a steady 5V under load, you will need a real power supply which is fit for use, note that newer models need more current than older models, the best solution is to buy an official RPI power supply, from the buying page on the blog. If the PWR LED goes out (or you get a low power warning icon) then your power supply fails to deliver good power, or you are using a power cable that is too long and/or too thin. There is one other reason for the appearance of the under-volt icon, an that is when you are stuck on the "rainbow screen" because you are trying to use old software for a RPI3B+ that is unfit for it.

Edit: to acknowledge almost identical advice posted at the same time as this...

George441

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:08 pm

Burngate wrote:
Your other (similar)post implies it's actually a Pi 4B, and the red LED going off supports this.

Whatever, it's almost certainly a power supply problem - the red LED should never go off.
What are you using to power your Pi?

The Troubleshooting subforum should be your first port of call, with https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151 as your bible
I powered my Pi using the USB port.
Let me check the Troubleshooting link.

George441

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:26 pm

Sorry, guys
Red light flickering 2-3sec then stopped. But i don't understand why my green light is still On. When the red light Off it means power Off then why i am seeing this...

drgeoff

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:39 pm

George441 wrote:
When the red light Off it means power Off .
No, it doesn't mean that.

It means the voltage is not above an acceptable minimum. That is quite different from being absent altogether.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

George441

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:51 pm

drgeoff wrote:
George441 wrote:

It means the voltage is not above an acceptable minimum. That is quite different from being absent altogether.
Do you please give me a suggestion about how may i solve this damn problem?

Timescale

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:27 pm

A 1B is a pretty old puppy. A whole slew of things could have gone wrong. The board go be bricked, the PSU could have gone bad or there could be an issue with the SD card.

I'd try another powerbrick and another SD card with a fresh image on it. I'd also check if the old SD card still is recognized by a computer via a USB reader. If it does, it doesn't mean it is ok, but if it doesn't that is likely the culprit. If it doesn't, sometimes broken SD cards get hot fast. If that happens, It is very likely the cause.

If you can't get it to work at this point, I'd suggest just to call the RPi totaled and replace it with a new board. If you can rule out the PSU and the SD card, then it has to be the board, which is old and probably hard to troubleshoot and fix.

drgeoff

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Timescale wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:27 pm
A 1B is a pretty old puppy.
True but there is some doubt whether the board is a 1B or a 4B. (See the second post, the one from Burngate.)

drgeoff

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:08 pm

George441 wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
George441 wrote:

No need to swear.

You have told us almost nothing about your setup. What would your reaction as a nurse be to being blindfolded and wearing earmuffs and then asked to diagnose what was wrong with a patient?

Timescale

True but there is some doubt whether the board is a 1B or a 4B. (See the second post, the one from Burngate.)
So not only was the provided information... sparse... it was unclear. I'm so glad I do not work as an IT admin anymore!

Is it clear if the unit even worked in the first place?
How can we know?
Do we know anything?
Can we know anything absolutely?
What is the purpose of it all?
What does blue taste like?

Regardless, even a bricked 4B is cheap by any standards..

George441

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:54 pm

drgeoff wrote:
George441 wrote:
drgeoff wrote:

No need to swear.

You have told us almost nothing about your setup. What would your reaction as a nurse be to being blindfolded and wearing earmuffs and then asked to diagnose what was wrong with a patient?
Sorry to say, Did you checked my upper post what kind of problem i am facing?

davidcoton

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:13 pm

George441 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:54 pm
drgeoff wrote:

Sorry to say, Did you checked my upper post what kind of problem i am facing?
Sorry to say, have you read any of the replies? Have you tried the advice given?

To spell it out:
Is it a Pi1B (old) or a Pi4B (new)?
What are you using as a PSU? When you say "USB port" do you mean on the Pi (input), or from another computer, or from a PSU?
What are you using as a power cable? How thick are the power wires? Is the cable marked with something including "AWG"? What does it say?
If it's a Pi4B, are you using a recent download of Raspbian Buster, or something older?
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

drgeoff

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:25 pm

What card? What OS and version or NOOBS. How put on the card? If a 4B, is it doing the 4 flash and repeat pattern of the green LED with no card inserted, etc?

Timescale

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:46 pm

I'll bite.. Just start with posting a picture of your setup..

Burngate

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:43 am

George441 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:08 pm
I powered my Pi using the USB port.
George441 wrote:
Buy a decent PSU - preferably the official one.
The USB port on your laptop is very good for what it is, just as the salesman described, but what he didn't tell you is that it isn't good enough to to power a Pi.

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing the "1" in the thread title actually means it's a Pi 4B with 1GB memory.
If so, a photo won't disclose that, but hopefully it will show that you've not conected anything untoward to it.

Moonmarch

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:50 pm

If you plan to spend more money on solving the RPI1 computer problem you can instead purchase a brand new RPI computer any model if the problem is the power supply or the SD card, if you have plans to purchase any of these accessories from a electronics store I will tell you right now these accessories can be used on any RPI computer which means you replacing the RPI1 will be problem free, if you needed a RPI computer with similar computer characteristics 1 core processor, 512 MB of SDRAM, VideoCore IV GPU, then purchase the Raspberry Pi Zero W "RPI0W" starter kit which will cost $34.99 with free shipping what a surprise the kit includes all of the accessories you need to use the RPI computer out of the box here is a link to the product:

Raspberry Pi Zero W Complete Starter Kit--Official Case Edition
https://www.ebay.com/i/312290644505?chn ... kJEALw_wcB

tavuong

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:12 pm

Hello RPI-Friends,
I would like to share you my experience
I have changed my working PI3+ Board with a new Pi4 Board , and thought that it will work immediatly, but it was not.
Green light was bliked but HDMI-Motitor flash one time than stay black!
I have resolved with 2 steps:
1) Load the new bootloader as in https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
(still not working)
2) Change my USB-Cable for Powersupply. The USB-Cable used for PI3+ came from cheap store (1 EURO Shop in Germany ) and the new one is my smartphone USB- Cable. Et voila it works! :mrgreen:
Also it is not only to check the power supply or Bootloader. It couls be the USB-Power Cable!!!
Have a goot satrt with PI4 :D

Return to “General discussion”