CFWhitman

Re: RS and Allied Update #6

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I ordered from Allied in July and have yet to receive a shipping notice. My order status at their site still shows "pending" for shipping. I have gotten a number of ad emails for other things from Allied, but no word on my order. Just after I first made this post I emailed them to see if they could provide me with any information. We'll see.

GlamSmile

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:30 am

Hi everyone,

I've finally decided to get myself my very first r_pi. I'm beyond excited, though was unsure of where to order from so had a look on this forum. Now I wasn't sure if I should order it from Elementary 14 they mention next day delivery (I live in the UK) while RS says 3-5 business days. Reading all your comments on here I find myself wondering which of the two companies is the safer bet. Added problem is that I will be moving soon (say a month from now) so I'll want to make sure that my Pi arrives with me before I vacate my current property.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone would have any suggestions. Also I do hope this is the right thread for this (apologies if it isn't, I'm new here and this seemed like a sensible place to post it in)

GlamSmile

itimpi

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:18 am

Element-14 has definitely been the more reliable in giving decent speed of delivery during last year. Having said that it now looks as if RS is also delivering in a decent timescale.

There are also other third party options such as NewIT which have been getting good reports in this forum.

GlamSmile

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Thank you for your reply - I went with RS in the end. Element 14 needed me to have my card registered to my delivery address, which doesn't work for me in this case. Also RS allowed me to pay via PayPal, much easier that way. Any chance anyone could tell me how long it usually takes before they dispatch the Pi? I'm beyond excited to get it and start playing around with it :)

Cheers, GlamSmile

b1636232

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:31 am

Just to let you all know:

- Ordered the Pi (with RS): Dec 30, 2012, Payed with PayPal (Ordernr: 1010225xxx)
- Received confirmation mail immediatly (Despatch expected in 1 week)
- Did not hear anything, so send an email to raspberrypi at rswww.com on Jan 14, 2013
- Got a response on Jan 16, 2013, telling "Good News!' my order was dispatched Jan 8, 2013, and expected to be delivered within 5 working days.
- On Jan 18, 2013 my Raspberry Pi was indeed delivered. (I'm in the Netherlands)
Overall i'm very happy with it, althought the one week despatch, en 5 working days delivery are not completely met.

erio

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:19 am

I ordered my RPi in % Jan from Hong Kong thur RS, 10+ days passed but nothing happened. No email, no RPi.

zalion0

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:33 pm

Anybody know what the returns are like with RS? Waiting for a replacement since my original Pi was faulty

m11439

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Ordered from Allied on Jan 07
Shipped on Jan 16
Should arrive Jan 21 (according to the tracking info.)

All in the USA, fedex ground shipping.

typing this now, because I'll be too busy tomorrow. :P

AshrafE

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 am

Post update: RS Components in SA resolves issue :)
I am happy to say that I received my PI today. A huge thanks goes out to Danise Smit from RS Components in SA who placed another order on my behalf on the 11/01 after learning about the problem through their complaints email address.

I am eagerly waiting to power it up and explore the device's possibilities when I get back from work today.
AshrafE wrote:Whatever you do, DON'T BUY FROM RS. :roll:

I placed my order on the 26th September and to date have still not received anything not even a dispatch notice. When I contacted [email protected] they apologised for not sending me a dispatch notice but stated that it was shipped on the 10th December and said it would take 21 days for countries outside of Europe. They also said it was shipped via DHL mail which incidentally has no track and trace. So you will be left in the dark as to when your pi will arrive if it ever arrives.

Any South Africans looking at this forumn take heed of all the warnings posted. RS service is pathetic to say the least. They will give you the run around with some of the most lame excuses you ever came across. If I had known that Electrocomp is able to source the pi I would have bought directly from them or even from Farnell

Herewith excerpt of the last email received...

"Good Afternoon,

Good News! Your order was dispatched on Monday 10/12/12, we sent a dispatch confirmation to all orders that were to be sent out, apologies if you didn't receive one. The email stated that we are expecting shipping to take 5 working days for European countries, and 21 working days for Countries Outside of Europe. As for tracking information, we are sending via DHL Mail, which has no track and trace capability.

If you do not receive your package within this time frame please email [email protected] with your order reference and we will investigate into the location of your package. If you require a change of details I am afraid we cannot amend shipping addresses at the point of dispatch. However once delivery has been attempted and failed we will attempt to get in contact with you regarding either an updated or alternate address.

Thank you for your patience
Kind Regards
Raspberry Pi Team"

kimkara

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:35 am

firstly greetings from South Africa.
now for the rant:
reading through this shows me one thing, a lack or respect for customers and little or no honesty as far as stock shortages.

I ordered my RPI with the understanding that dispatch will take one week (according to the order) after one week no email or notice.
I contacted [email protected] with a simple request and received an automated reply that they will get back in four working days. you guessed it, nothing.

I’m blown away at the ostrich syndrome of sticking their heads in the sand and hoping the problem will go away. if there is a problem let your customers know when they are ordering and we can make alternative plans.

fneves

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 am

Ordered mine on 21/01. I hope it doesn't take too much time like the reports here... If I only knew about this before ordering. Well, fingers crossed.

GlamSmile

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Ordered my RPi with RS on Jan 18th (at about 04:00 AM) - recieved confirmation email immediatelly with expected dispatch within one week. It got despatched by PARCELFORCE at 07:00PM last night and arrived safely at mine at a bit past 01:00 PM with me today.

I live in the UK (Mainland) and could not be happier with service I recieved. The RPi arrived safely in it's own little pink plastic case (yes, RS still sends them out in them) and one of those airfraight bubbly enevelopes. Transit time from order to delivery has been 6 days and I'd personally recommend RS for ordering. I was worried it wouldn't get delivered on time especially after everything I had read on here, but it arrived even before it was meant to be dispatched. In comparison, I'm still waiting for my SD card to arrive which I ordered at the same time from Amazon.co.uk - never thought I'd get my RPi before my SD card.

hbence90

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:55 pm

I placed my order on 15th of January and a have received my RPi today (24th of January) without any notice about dispatch. I am absolutely satisfied with the service and can recommend RS for everyone. ( I live in Hungary)

sonomadiver

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:00 pm

I placed an order for an RPi from Allied Electronics on 21 Jan 13. It appears to be on back order, with no idea when they'll be resupplied.

I live in the US (CA).

Anyway, just an FYI.

- Larry

usatf1290

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi,

I ordered an RPi from Allied on January 17th, and just received it today (the 24th). I had to email someone about the status of the tracking of my order. Very quick service, I'm very pleased!

I'm in the US (OH).

kimkara

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 pm

I would love an official explanation on why there are so many discrepancies with regards to orders taking so long and why some seem to take a few days. why is it some people get replies form [email protected] and some don’t. I contacted RS South Africa and all I got told its not in their control.

Mepherotus

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 pm

I've bought 2 RPis from RS on october (One as a gift and one for me, sent to 2 different adresses) and they was dispatched on 11/12/2012. Today is the 24/01/2013 and anything is arrived (I live in EU, Italy) xD

2*Raspberry Pi Type B
2*Raspberry Pi Type B Case
2*Micro USB Euro power supply

so i've lost 104€ xD

omoser

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Here is one more presumably lost order with #1010199252. I ordered 4 Pi's and cases, so it's about 180 Euros (That is a lot of money for a student!). I live in Austria, so dispatch should take at most 14 days.

Maybe a RS representative could look into it.

Ordered on Thu, 25 Oct 2012, 07:22 AM.
First inquiry on 11th of Dec.
Shipment notice on 12th of Dec.
Nothing received - Next inquiry on 27th of Dec.
Still nothing received - Next inquiry on 3th of Jan.
Nothing received :-) - Next inquiry on 8th of Jan.
Still - guess what - nothing received!

Waiting on a reply since 8th of Jan.

kimkara

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 pm

does any RS rep actually come in here and read the complaints or even offer solutions / explanations ?

Nori0s

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:48 pm

I bought the raspberry pi on Janunary 18 (order number: 1010236347 )

It's been a week since that and haven't recived the dispatch email yet... Has anyone who bought it on similar dates recived the email??

GlamSmile

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:26 pm

@Nori0s

If you ordered your RPi from RS on the 18th January, see my post a bit further up. Ordered it from RS on 18th January, delivered on 24th January on UK Mainland.Hope this helps.

ETA: I recieved my dispatch email at around 07:00PM on the 23.01.

- GlamSmile

Nori0s

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:04 pm

GlamSmile wrote:@Nori0s

If you ordered your RPi from RS on the 18th January, see my post a bit further up. Ordered it from RS on 18th January, delivered on 24th January on UK Mainland.Hope this helps.

ETA: I recieved my dispatch email at around 07:00PM on the 23.01.

- GlamSmile
Thanks for the info, I did order from RS.

They were really fast with your order, maybe because you are from UK , I am from Spain so maybe because of that the delay...

I will send them an email if I don't rececive the dispatc email soon

SCAJETAN

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:38 am

I placed by order on 18/1/13 under Order 1010236096. I was told that it will de delivered in a week and am still waiting a confirmation from Allied.
Can you check on this as I forgot to order the power for Australia and intend to run XMBC.

DaveSemm

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 am

Last year I canceled my order after months of delays. On the 16th of January, RS said there was stock and orders would ship within a week, so I placed a new order and got an automated response which also promised it would be shipped within a week. After a week and a day, with no word from them, I emailed them to ask about the status, and got an automated response saying they would respond within 4 working days. I have 2 days to go before they respond to the email, but I won't hold my breath.

Why do RS have to make this so unpleasant?

mmoller2k

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:23 am

Can I file an order cancellation after I received a dispatch notice?
The Pis never arrived, and RS cannot tell me what happened to the parcel.

Return to “General discussion”