jdh88

Re: Actionscript 3 development possible?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 am

Couldn't find any other threads regarding Flash or AS, Will Actionscript 3 and Flash development be possible on the device, Obviously not a full blown adobe flash builder app, but just the actionscript compiler itself.

If Java is going to have problems running on the device the next best option for myself would be using Actionscript 3 especially for games development.

cnxsoft

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:15 am

You'd get a better chance running Java applications than Flash applications on this device, since it's unlikely flash will be properly supported.

I would not use it as development platform (writing and building the code on it) for Java though, as there is probably not enough RAM for that.

dtomi

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi. I found this webpage showing Adobe flex SDK for linux. It may work on the PI. I will give some feedback on it. I will try it now. I hope it will work. :)

https://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/ahazelden/e ... flash_dev/

4thdwarflord

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:17 pm

The flex download is for all platforms, so it should work, but the problem is using the swf files. you can do it using gnash, but it is horrificly slow on the pi.

As for AS3, its based on C (i think), so that is what i would try.

Heater

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Adobe is busy fazing out FLASH and killing it off. We should do likewise. It's a dead end.

The world is turning to HTML5, CSS and JavaScript to create such apps for the web.

With libraries like ivank and three.js stunning things can be done rather easily in 2D or 3D in JavaScript.

If you can do ActionScript you can do JavaScript.

Of course if you are looking for non-web applications things like the Qt GUI tool kit now support JS as well. See QML.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

thradtke

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:53 am

Two years ago, Java on the Pi was a problem. It isn't anymore.

OT: May I add how amazing it was to see my classes (a Swing application) from 2003 running 10 years later unchanged on the Pi? Feels like a native GUI.
Rocket Scientist.

ghans

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:39 am

I guess it's because Oracle is committed to expand Java coverage
and Adobe doesn't wan't that for Flash ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

thradtke

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:27 am

It's maybe due to Java has been the pioneering technology on mobile platforms and developers are apparently pleased with the situation. Adobe, otoh, would need strong faith in flash being accepted for web-ads and gaming on mobile platforms to invest. But we can only speculate.

I'm quite happy with the situation. While owning a Flash license (or two) as part of the CS, I welcome more open technologies.
Rocket Scientist.

Return to “General discussion”