gladoscc

Re: Does it REALLY have twice the power of a 4S?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:07 am

The 4S features a pretty powerful GPU that runs extremely good looking games on a high definition resolution (960 by 640). How the hell can RPi beat it, since the RPi is $25?

TheEponymousBob

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:17 am

Well for a start, it won"t be trying to beat it while hoping to achieve 7 hours on a single battery charge, with that battery also powering the screen, several wireless circuits and more besides, all stuffed inside a thin glass box...

gladoscc

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:20 am

Lol, my 4S gets 1 hour 30 minutes of battery life playing games that maxes out the hardware.

Jessie

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 am

In most tests yes the GPU in the R-Pi is stronger.  These are just synthetic tests though, a better picture will be had when the device is avalible.

How can this be?  Well there are several factors to this.  First of all the main cost of a SOC like these is the cost of licensing the ARM core from ARM holdings.  ARM licenses their IP on a sliding scale older cores and less capable cores cost far less than modern cores.  Ever wonder why no one has released a ARM Cortex A15 product into volume yet?  It has to do with the fact that the license is expensive, and some of them are still working on integration.

To put it simply the 4S has a processor with two more modern A9 cores in it.  So its general computing ability is way stronger than the Raspberry Pi's ARM11 many year old design.  The cost savings is in the much slower older ARM core in this device.  Well that and the iPhone uses exotic materials and a much higher level of integration, not to mention the screen and battery.  They just arn't in the same class of devices, even if Apple's A5 or A4 SOCs were avalible for the foundation to use in a R-Pi like device they would cost more than double what the Broadcom SOC costs just due to ARM licensing costs.

AFAIK Broadcom does not license the Videocore series GPU so I don't think you will ever see it in a competing product.

austincurr

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:26 am

Itouch 4s? Sorry, not familiar with many things of Apple's. If my assumption was correct, there is a much better graphics resolution in the pi, it's much much cheaper, and it's open source, plus has the ability to be hacked and fiddled with.

edit:And now i see all the other posts. ok then.

johnbeetem

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 am

Jessie said:

Ever wonder why no one has released a ARM Cortex-A15 product into volume yet?  It has to do with the fact that the license is expensive, and some of them are still working on integration.
IMO, it has far more to do with the fact that it's a new core (announced Nov 2010 IIRC) and it always takes a year or two to go from a new ARM core to actual chips.  Personally, I'm amazed that TI has already announced the Cortex-A15 based OMAP 5.  The A15 is brutally complex, using every trick in the book to get decent performance out of a long pipeline.  And that only gives 40% better than an A9 according to one study.
Yes, the Cortex-A15 is indeed a lot more expensive to license.  Personally I'd rather have a couple of A9's or A7's.

abishur

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:10 am

Well it helps to remember that A) dollar for dollar Apple overcharges it's clients for it's cellphones (no offense iPhone fans), what you're ultimately paying for is a status symbol.  And B) The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a non-profit organization whose goal is to release a $25 computer to improve computer science awareness of youth in the United Kingdom and across the globe.  The fact that they used a rocking GPU is just icing on the cake!  Indeed the fact that they opened their board up to everyone is both icing on the cake and another cake whose entire substance is pure icing besides!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

MonitorMan

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:17 am

I have always thought the term 'power' in the technology is a word used when people cannot articulate what they specifically mean, ie, it has to be taken in context of the discussion to make sense of it. (No offense intended to anyone here.) The success of the R-Pi will be the platform that supports it. A system that has a multitude of peripherals available and an extensive range of software to my mind much more 'powerful' ('useful' in content) than one that has nowt. The processor, the amount and speed of memory on board, the OS and so forth become meaningless, but is often the gauge of 'power' ('better spec' in context) if there is no application and hardware support.

What could ultimately make the R-Pi successful in the education world will be the availability of cheap (sic free) software and extensibility add-ons for it. The format and and especially pricing and aim of the R-Pi capture the imagination in a way I don't think I have seen since the BBC Micro was released and that didn't do to badly, did it?
Raspberry Pi Assembly Language now available in book and eBook formats.
For details, go to www.brucesmith.info - examples and programming hints and tips.
Check out the Raspberry Pi Resources page on the website for more information.

Return to “General discussion”