rizwan133

Raspberry pi 4 not booting after plugin camera ribbon in wrong side

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 am

Hello! i mistakenly inserted camera cable in wrong side.The pi suddenly restarted after that and has been stuck on rainbow screen. I also purchased a new sd card but still it has been stuck on rainbow screen. Before that my pi was working fine. Please help me if you got any solution. I have tried multiple online solutions but couldn't able to find issue regarding wrong inserted camera ribbon

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry pi 4 not booting after plugin camera ribbon in wrong side

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 am

That's odd. I would not expect that plugging it in the wrong way round would cause any damage, I've done it enough! But it does sound like some sort of board damage. . Are you using the GPIO's for anything? Sounds more like a shorted GPIO issue than a camera issue, but shorting protection on the Pi4 is pretty robust.

So, not sure what has happened here.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Lewis-H

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 am

Raspberry PI`s do not usually stop working for no reason: in the majority of cases, not booting points to an issue with the SD card, not to a defective Pi. It is also important to note that the Pi might be booting, but there may be another reason why you are not getting video output.

Heater

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:35 am

rizwan133,
...i mistakenly inserted camera cable in wrong side.The pi suddenly restarted ...
Am I to understand that you were plugging the camera cable in whilst the Pi was powered up and running? One should never connect and disconnect things like that when power is applied. Power down, connect thing, check connections, check connections again, power up. I would not expect this to have killed your Pi though, perhaps something else got shorted out as you were doing that.

Or, am I to understand that you were plugging the camera cable in whilst the Pi was powered down, but as you connected the cable it 'suddenly started'. If so something else was definitely going on as you connected the camera. The camera cannot power up a Pi by itself.

What exactly did you do?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

geektechstuff.com

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:14 pm

rizwan133 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 am
Hello! i mistakenly inserted camera cable in wrong side.The pi suddenly restarted after that and has been stuck on rainbow screen. I also purchased a new sd card but still it has been stuck on rainbow screen. Before that my pi was working fine. Please help me if you got any solution. I have tried multiple online solutions but couldn't able to find issue regarding wrong inserted camera ribbon
Hi,

Is the camera connected?
Have you tried a different power supply?
www.geektechstuff.com

Imperf3kt

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 pm

I assume by "wrong side" they mean they plugged it into the display port, instead of the camera port, on the other "side" of the Pi.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “General discussion”