gladoscc

Re: Will the RPi have some use to me if I'm not a programmer?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:09 pm

I haven't written code for a few months now, mostly because I don't find it fun at all. Will the RPi have any use to me?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Depends on what you find fun, and what you find useful. If you want to run a media centre, then yes: you can run XBMC on it. (If you look at the front page, you'll see you can stream media to it wirelessly from an Apple device too.) And if you think robots, home automation and the like are fun, then you'll have fun with it. If that's not your idea of fun, you may be better off with a Playstation!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

alpaca

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:20 pm

A low-power always-on quick internet thing on the second input of your monitor? (a setup I'll be using I think)

Donno, everything where you can use a cheap computer that doesn't ask too much from it.

grumpyoldgit

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:47 am

Sellotaped to a brick, it would make a handy doorstop.

Moor

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:29 am

There are two main advantages I see in the RasPi, over pretty much anything else:

(1)Low cost/power. As mentioned before, its a cheap, low-power computer that you can easily make into a media center, a little background-downloader-thingee, a paperweight...

(2) Its brick-ability -- Or rather, lack thereof. You can do pretty much anything to it, software-wise, and always be able to recover. So, if there are any cool things people put on the forum that you want to try -- I believe someone is working on making it an NES emulator -- then you can try it, with no more tech knowledge than how to copy some image onto an SD card. If it works, then you have an NES emulator. If not, then you still have a fully functioning RasPi, that all you need to do to reset it is to take the SD card out.

Or, if somehow it actually manages to harm the RasPi permanently, then point (1) comes into play, and you can get another one for $35, tops.

Plus, also, it lets you feel like a really hoopy frood for having given $25/$35 to an uber-cool non-profit.

erhardm

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:30 am

I'll put it like this: If you don't have fun coding, than It's not about having fun while coding, it's about having fun achieving something with coding.

There are a lot of projects that you can do just using the existing tools, not having to code, but surely when you start poking with linux and will gain knowlegde about using the CLI and various tools, you'll start seeing the coding being something natural, the next step of it.

Gert van Loo

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:05 am

It IS a fully working computer.  You can boot into a windows system and do text editing, web browsing, spreadsheets the lot. It does not have as much CPU power as some so it may be a bit slower in some things, but it will get the job done. And NO it does not have a hard disk so you can not store your 120 Gbyte photo collection on it. But you can pick it up and put it in the pocket of your coat. You can play with it to your hearts content and never, never be afraid that you will do something which will make it die permanently. (Just make sure you make backups of your SD-cards).

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:43 am

Gert said:

It IS a fully working computer.  You can boot into a windows system and do text editing, web browsing, spreadsheets the lot. It does not have as much CPU power as some so it may be a bit slower in some things, but it will get the job done. And NO it does not have a hard disk so you can not store your 120 Gbyte photo collection on it. But you can pick it up and put it in the pocket of your coat. You can play with it to your hearts content and never, never be afraid that you will do something which will make it die permanently. (Just make sure you make backups of your SD-cards).

Actually....

While it doesn't have a hard disk, its easy enough to plug an external, powered hard disk into the USB port and keep the 120 GB photo collection on that.  (120?  Thats a bit small, though my digitally originated photo collection now covers over 10 years of snapping, but I digress)

Anyhow.  When you're not using the Pi for anything purposeful, it makes a rather wonderful digital photo frame when coupled to your humongous TV.  Considering that a 7" DPF costs in the region of 30 quid, the Pi is cheaper and more flexible.  A few lines of code in Python or whatever and it'll randomly chug through the collection displaying all those mistakes you'd forgotten about.... 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

tom_eaton

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 am

Boot into windows? Not easily, if at all!

Dapa

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:29 am

tom_eaton said:

Boot into windows? Not easily, if at all!

As the poster said 'windows system' without a capital 'W' - AKA 'windowing system' I'll presume that they meant Gnome, KDE, etc.

gladoscc

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:42 am

erhardm said:

I'll put it like this: If you don't have fun coding, than It's not about having fun while coding, it's about having fun achieving something with coding.

There are a lot of projects that you can do just using the existing tools, not having to code, but surely when you start poking with linux and will gain knowlegde about using the CLI and various tools, you'll start seeing the coding being something natural, the next step of it.

I used to have fun coding, not anymore, now I actually dread it. I do get lots of satisfaction with the results, but the process feels like work.

WereCatf

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am

doesthenameappear said:

I haven't written code for a few months now, mostly because I don't find it fun at all. Will the RPi have any use to me?

I can definitely see plenty of use for it even if you're not a coder; HTPC projects via XBMC etc., running MegaDrive/SNES/NES/GameBoy games via emulators, music players etc. etc. Also there's bound to be hundreds of various projects made by other users that you can play with.

But again, you must ask yourself: do I want to just play around with it or use it as an HTPC, or do I want something more serious?

gladoscc

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 am

WereCatf said:

doesthenameappear said:

I can definitely see plenty of use for it even if you're not a coder; HTPC projects via XBMC etc., running MegaDrive/SNES/NES/GameBoy games via emulators, music players etc. etc. Also there's bound to be hundreds of various projects made by other users that you can play with.

But again, you must ask yourself: do I want to just play around with it or use it as an HTPC, or do I want something more serious?

I just want to play around with it, and seeing the uses I'll definitely get one since it's $35.

JamieR

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Whats so specail about this that make it good to learn programming? because if your not a programmer like me and this is good to learn it on then it should be of use. Is they any program language thats useful and easy to learn to make video games for the pi?

Return to “General discussion”