kot7k

RPi4 wake up after power failure

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi,
I just bought a RPi4 as an upgrade to my previous banana pi. I liked banana pi cause it had a 1Gbit ethernet port and now that Rpi4 also have it it was a good time for me to upgrade. The thing is i use it as a server and it has to be powered on all the time. The other day there was a short power failure in my town, the thing is my banana pi boot up itself when it noticed it had a power source again but raspberry pi 4 stayed on a shutdown state.
Is this the normal behaviour? I have an "argon one" case wich has a button to power it on, might it be because of that? and if it is... do i have any option to change this behaviour? I would like the Rpi4 to boot when the power is up.

W. H. Heydt

Re: RPi4 wake up after power failure

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:21 pm

Get a UPS. Short power outages can corrupt the filesystem for the usual reasons.

gkaiseril

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:29 pm

The power button most likely prevents the restart after a power failure. Some consider this a benefit since the device is powered off during the period of many power spikes when power is restored and the many heavy draw devices power up causing power surges. As noted a ups can also help in this situation if it filters the power line supplied voltage.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

klricks

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:32 pm

kot7k wrote:
Hi,
I just bought a RPi4 as an upgrade to my previous banana pi. I liked banana pi cause it had a 1Gbit ethernet port and now that Rpi4 also have it it was a good time for me to upgrade. The thing is i use it as a server and it has to be powered on all the time. The other day there was a short power failure in my town, the thing is my banana pi boot up itself when it noticed it had a power source again but raspberry pi 4 stayed on a shutdown state.
Is this the normal behaviour? I have an "argon one" case wich has a button to power it on, might it be because of that? and if it is... do i have any option to change this behaviour? I would like the Rpi4 to boot when the power is up.
Normally the RPi will boot when the power comes back on. If the power outage is too short or a 'brown out', then it may or may not boot properly.
Does the RPi boot when you remove and replace the USB-C power connection? Or must you also press the power on button? If so then the power switch is to blame.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

kot7k

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:23 pm

klricks wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:32 pm
kot7k wrote:
Hi,
Normally the RPi will boot when the power comes back on. If the power outage is too short or a 'brown out', then it may or may not boot properly.
Does the RPi boot when you remove and replace the USB-C power connection? Or must you also press the power on button? If so then the power switch is to blame.
Thank you, thats what i wanted to know. I'm not currently where the pi is so i can't test it that right now but will report when i can. Even thou, i'm 90% sure that i will have to press power button for booting even if i unplug and plug the usb-c cable. It is really an inconvenient to me as i didn´t want this behavior, not sure if i could disable that power button someway...
Anyways will report again.

PD: about ups, i saw some posts here about people connecting pis to power banks and then the power banks to wall. It seemed like a good solution for me but i dont have much space where the pi is and i wouldnt want to have more things there.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:10 pm

kot7k wrote:
PD: about ups, i saw some posts here about people connecting pis to power banks and then the power banks to wall. It seemed like a good solution for me but i dont have much space where the pi is and i wouldnt want to have more things there.
That's a difficult solution. Most powerbanks can't be charging and discharging (that is, powering something) at the same time. And, indeed, powering a device, as opposed to recharging the battery in a device is NOT what they're designed to do. It's just convenient that many models of Pis have sufficiently low power requirements that it works at all.

kot7k

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:16 pm

Just tested unplugin and plugin back usb-c and pi4 doesnt boot automatically with argon one case. I have to press power button.
Any chance someone with same case know how to bypass this? I would prefer not having power button at all as i'm not even near the pi most of the time. Shame on me not thinking about this when i bought it... :/

gkaiseril

Re: RPi4 wake up after power failurean

Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:46 pm

One should be aware that power losses that result in an uncontrolled power down can cause a loss of data that includes the corruption of the boot process.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

Heater

Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:48 pm

kot7k,
Just tested unplugin and plugin back usb-c and pi4 doesnt boot automatically with argon one case.
Let me get this straight. You are not plugging/unplugging the USB C to the Pi board itself?

Rather through whatever connectivity there is in the case?

Why not ditch the case and be happy ?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

BlackKnight_UK

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:12 am

Keep the Argon One but ditch the board that extends the power socket, etc. to the back panel?

JesterSoft

Sat May 09, 2020 11:41 am

Faced the same problem, you need to manually turn on the device through the button Argone One Case. Did someone solve the auto start problem after powering up?

tanako

Tue May 26, 2020 6:00 pm

I just got into this issue today. My first day with ArgonOne.

The case ventilation seems to be awesome according to many reviews but like others my Pi is, most of the time, not near me.

I already have UPS as power source but normally it lasted only 40 mins at best (I have other Home Server using the same UPS)

And for time to time, power outage take hours. So I would be very handy to be able to get it back up ASAP.

peterscargill

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:26 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:21 pm
Get a UPS. Short power outages can corrupt the filesystem for the usual reasons.
Even with a UPS there might be a reason the power is lost - most cheap UPS are usless after several hours of lost power - lead acid ones end up dead as the batteries don't always recover. UPS on its own is not the solution for unmanned opetation, the unit must come back on when power is restored. Also UPS which have control over restoring power will not help as there is no interface betwen the button in the Argon ONE and a UPS. I can confirm the Pi2, 3 and 4 will auto power up on their one without that case. I've don it a thousand times. My Pis have a function for graceful shut down. Remove powre and re-apply it and they come on just fine - but not with the Argon case. If someone has solved this withour hacking the argon case I'd love to hear from them.
Regards

Peter Scargill (tech.scargill.net)

bjtheone

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:33 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:10 pm
kot7k wrote:
That's a difficult solution. Most powerbanks can't be charging and discharging (that is, powering something) at the same time. And, indeed, powering a device, as opposed to recharging the battery in a device is NOT what they're designed to do. It's just convenient that many models of Pis have sufficiently low power requirements that it works at all.
This and intelligent charging are the main differences between a power bank and a UPS. UPS are specifically designed to allow you to "float" your device off the UPS, so that the UPS deals with over and undervoltage conditions, as well as power outages.

If you only have the Pi and are looking for a cheap kinda/sorta solution you could buy a powerbank that specifically allows for charging and discharging at the same time. Note it may have less filtering ability and less battery management, but is a workable solution for short duration power outages, especially if they are more brownouts that real outages.

rmckenzi

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:25 pm

I came here to look for the same thing .. I love the argon case but it's no use for remote power control via Wifi plug or if the power goes out :( Hoping someone finds a solution or a way to mod the board easily to by-pass the switch .. honestly I don't need a button to power off, never had one on any of my pi's before so not needed.
If you're one of those forum users that like to just leave shitty responses to people, how about not doing it.

Just a thought

Heater

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:55 pm

Well, if the case is "no use" for what you want to use your Pi system for then why not chuck it in the bin and be happy :)

Alternatively, surely it is not so hard to bypass whatever crappy circuit is handling the power in that case and power the Pi directly.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”