picandies

Why is datasheet missing?

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:57 pm

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... tasheet.md says:
We no longer recommend using the CM or CM3 in new products, please use the CM3+ for all future designs.

Going to compute module hardware design guide:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... gnguide.md
says: For design guidelines please see the Compute Module datasheet.
clicking on that link takes you here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... CM_2p0.pdf

WHY?? Hasn't the 3+ been out for some time?
Last edited by picandies on Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt

Re: Why is datasheet missing?

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm

As I understand it, the CM3+ is functionally identical to the CM3
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

picandies

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:08 pm

Then it should say so...not say forget about the 3, use the 3+ instead, and by the way , here is the old 3 datasheet!

davidcoton

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 pm

You could try here.
First link is DATASHEET Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+

Oh, my first link is also yours -- eyesight problem?

I agree the link from your second link is out of date, but the datasheet for CM3+ is not missing.
Signature retired

picandies

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:02 am

I agree the link from your second link is out of date

WHY out of date??? This is a main page for the module. If you tell someone don't use this anymore, switch to that, shouldn't the link to the associated hardware guide at least contain the info you are espousing? I read the 3+ has been out for months. It seems like an area for some TLC.

I've been unknowing using the wrong datasheet for a few weeks!

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:47 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm
As I understand it, the CM3+ is functionally identical to the CM3
Pretty much. The CM3+ uses the B0 stepping of the BCM2837. It also comes with 8GB, 16GB or 32GB of eMMC flash storage on board, as compared to 4GB on the CM3 (and CM1).

And for the OP...there is a sub-forum devoted solely to the Compute Modules.

picandies

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:15 am

Why are things not set up properly? It's hard to believe nobody at raspberry pi would notice that it misdirecting to the wrong document. Isn't the website being maintained?

wildfire

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 am

Despite the number of sales the RPF is actually quite a small group of people and obviously oversights slip through the cracks.

Now that the issue has been brought to their attention (albeit incorrectly via this forum) I'm sure it will be resolved soon.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:26 am

picandies wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:15 am
Why are things not set up properly? It's hard to believe nobody at raspberry pi would notice that it misdirecting to the wrong document. Isn't the website being maintained?
Rather than ranting away on the forums the correct approach when you find a fault in the docs is to report it via the github repo. Follow the link on every docs page.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

jamesh

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:46 am

I've updated the design guide page to point to the datasheet page instead of the datasheet itself. Should be future proof that way.

In github, main website will update in an hour or so.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

hippy

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:54 pm

wildfire wrote:
Despite the number of sales the RPF is actually quite a small group of people and obviously oversights slip through the cracks.
With some 133 staff in 2018, including subsidiaries, RPF is quite a large group, but it doesn't matter how many people there are, how meticulous anyone strives to be, something will always slip through the net.

With hundreds of pages of on-line documentation, technical and other details, and growing all the times, there is always going to be something which is wrong or missing, or just plain not as well done as it perhaps could have been, which those dealing with those pages are not aware of.

That's simply a fact of life. It's how those issues are resolved when they are pointed out which is the important thing. And, in this case, it seems the issue has been promptly addressed - Resolved some 3 hours after becoming aware of the issue. One can't really ask for much more than that.

jamesh

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:48 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:54 pm
wildfire wrote:
With some 133 staff in 2018, including subsidiaries, RPF is quite a large group, but it doesn't matter how many people there are, how meticulous anyone strives to be, something will always slip through the net.

With hundreds of pages of on-line documentation, technical and other details, and growing all the times, there is always going to be something which is wrong or missing, or just plain not as well done as it perhaps could have been, which those dealing with those pages are not aware of.

That's simply a fact of life. It's how those issues are resolved when they are pointed out which is the important thing. And, in this case, it seems the issue has been promptly addressed - Resolved some 3 hours after becoming aware of the issue. One can't really ask for much more than that.
The doc repo (www.raspberrypi.org/documentation) is maintained by Trading (well, me mainly, plus some very useful help from some community members), not Foundation, Trading has about 60-70 employees (a few contractors in particular areas) of which I am one. That 60-70 does not include the Magazine teams but does include Comms. And of course, that is also spread between Da Management, hardware, and software. So the actual number of people working on, for example, software, is about 10. And I do docs in my spare time.

That said, you are right, there is always something slipping through the cracks. We are slowly beating it all in to shape, but still lots to do.

rpdom

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:01 pm

jamesh wrote:
The doc repo (www.raspberrypi.org/documentation) is maintained by Trading (well, me mainly, plus some very useful help from some community members), not Foundation, Trading has about 60-70 employees (a few contractors in particular areas) of which I am one. That 60-70 does not include the Magazine teams but does include Comms. And of course, that is also spread between Da Management, hardware, and software. So the actual number of people working on, for example, software, is about 10. And I do docs in my spare time.

That said, you are right, there is always something slipping through the cracks. We are slowly beating it all in to shape, but still lots to do.
If you want someone who like poking at Docs on a part time basis for a small fee, give me a shout :)

jamesh

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:44 pm

rpdom wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:01 pm
jamesh wrote:

If you want someone who like poking at Docs on a part time basis for a small fee, give me a shout :)
Noted!

Return to “General discussion”