jimjulian

Spamhaus issue

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:51 pm

I got this message after an attempted post:

Your IP 24.158.83.2 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=24.158.83.2

I tried to delist but the system is not designed for consumers on a dynamic address.

Is this a virus or something RPO has installed?

Thank you

scruss

Re: Spamhaus issue

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:18 pm

Ugh. Spamhaus is the worst, and I didn't know they'd moved their extortion to websites. They don't care about people on shared hosts. Someone needs to slap them and their slimy ilk with a tortious interference suit.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

trejan

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:06 am

You've got something on your network which is sending spam. It could be anything on your network though. A Pi or IoT device that was poorly secured and something has infected it. A computer/laptop that somebody opened a malware email or visited an infected site. The router itself is another possibility.
This IP address was detected and listed 4 times in the past 28 days, and 1 times in the past 24 hours. The most recent detection was at Tue Jan 7 20:05:00 2020 UTC +/- 5 minutes

trejan

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:09 am

scruss wrote:
They don't care about people on shared hosts.
Pressure the people running your shared host to clean up the other hosted sites then. If something is spewing spam because it was hacked then it needs to be fixed.

scruss

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:15 am

Doesn't work. Tried it. Numerous times. Shared hosting companies only care if what you're doing is going to get them sued.
Changing host is too much trouble. It's the RBL companies that are the problem.
Anyway, what's Spamhaus doing blocking http when they're worried about SMTP spam? The two services are unrelated.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Paul Webster

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 am

This appears to be a domestic broadband IP address (from Charter in USA) not a shared hosting system.

Microtek router?

Presumably RPF or their web hosted are using Spamhaus for IP reputation checking because high volumes of spam originating from an IP address indicates that there is some sort of compromise in place which /might/ also be able to post rubbish to forums (although that is a bit of a stretch).
What is does do, however, is alert the legitimate poster to the fact that their IP address is listed as a problem somewhere which then merits investigation.

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 am

scruss wrote:
Ugh. Spamhaus is the worst, and I didn't know they'd moved their extortion to websites. They don't care about people on shared hosts. Someone needs to slap them and their slimy ilk with a tortious interference suit.
I would offer a subtle form of physical violence but that's banned on here.

I've had the Spamhaus problem on Cross Country trains and LNER trains using their free WiFi. So I switched on my phone's data (disconnected from the WiFi) and still couldn't post using Hutchinson's Three service. It's a bloody annoyance that they're blocking benign address blocks.

I got to York and it worked OK on York FirstBus and in the Hampton by Hilton hotel on their free WiFi. So it's also bloody annoying that the blockage is random & inconsistent.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

RuskinF

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:07 am

I got a Spamhaus issue as well, sometime back. They blocked me when I was using a public Wifi. Their blocking measures are passively voilent and plateaued.
I was on the seventh day at work when they blocked me.

Return to “General discussion”