fsuk

Re: Will there be a heads up about the launch?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 am

Before I annoy anyone I am NOT asking when the release date is. I have also done some searching and looking at FAQs to check to see if this has been already answered.

My question is:

Will there be any warning about when the boards go on sales (i.e. an email 24 hours before) or will it just happen?

If there is a warning then there are going to thousands of us geeks pressing F5 in the shop at release time, possibly overloading the site. If there isn't then there's going to be thousands of geeks who wake up one morning and annoyed find that the whole first batch has been sold.

I don't envy the decision you have to make regarding this.

crundy

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:37 am

I suspect they'll add the stock on the .com site and then send an email out to the mailing list, so provided you're on there you should find out about it in time.

tek-monkey

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:00 am

Mailing list?

grumpyoldgit

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:04 am

tek-monkey said:

Mailing list?

Top right hand corner of home page.

fsuk

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:04 am

tek-monkey said:

Mailing list?

Yes I'm aware of the mailing list, I'm even signed up and have been for a while.

But how will the mailing list be used?

Will an email be sent out before hand (i.e. 24 hours before launch), or will an email just be sent out the second the boards are on sale?

fsuk

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:12 am

tek-monkey said:

Mailing list?

Sorry, thought you meant it as "Have you tried the Mailing list?" not "What Mailing list?"

Edit: Included wrong quote

Burngate

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 am

You'll get an email an hour after launch, saying "We've launched, we've sold out, you missed it!"

RaTTuS

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:43 am

Burngate said:

You'll get an email an hour after launch, saying "We've launched, we've sold out, you missed it!"

more like

1 email it's available in the shop

20 mins later another saying it has sold out please wait for news of the next lot

[depending on when you get up]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

grumpyoldgit

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am

It will be interesting at what point of the day the email will be sent. Any time of day will hack off at least one continent but will be to the advantage of insomniacs.

Dapa

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Imagine the fuss if they scheduled the product to listed in the shop at 3am GMT - that would be quite evil

fsuk

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Dapa said:

Imagine the fuss if they scheduled the product to listed in the shop at 3am GMT - that would be quite evil

I'm sure the Americans wouldn't be too upset, they're 7 hours behind right? 8pm would sound perfect.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm not convinced they will bother, but I wondered whether they should split the sale into two halves and schedule them to start at 9am and 9pm GMT. That would be comfortable for most people, and reasonably practical for all.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:16 pm

rurwin said:

I'm not convinced they will bother, but I wondered whether they should split the sale into two halves and schedule them to start at 9am and 9pm GMT. That would be comfortable for most people, and reasonably practical for all.

This idea was stamped on a little while back.

hippy

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:37 pm

rurwin said:

I suggested similar tranche sales but it wasn't too popular. "First come , first served" seems to be the order of the day.

Perhaps roll a D24 to decide what time they go on sale so who it favours is luck of the dice ?

vesku

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:39 pm

My hopes for getting one from the first batch are pretty low. I just hope that I can make an order for one from the next batch even though they are not in stock. If I need to keep watching the store for another month (or something like that) for the next batch to hit store I will surely go mental.

BTW: What is that blank key between F4 and F6? Does your keyboard have one of those?

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:52 pm

It doesn't matter what time the Pi is announced, someone is going to miss out given the level of interest.  However FWIW, Liz tends to be a bit of a night owl - she often posts announcements on the front page around midnight......

Its just a case of being in the right place at the right time, and always carrying your Pi Shoppe password and your credit card details for instant buying action!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

TheEponymousBob

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:57 pm

The temptation to write something along the lines of "Heads up?  They're live now!" nearly killed me.  But then I realised that certain people actually would kill me, so I held it in.

Jongoleur

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:07 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

The temptation to write something along the lines of "Heads up?  They're live now!" nearly killed me.  But then I realised that certain people actually would kill me, so I held it in.

Yes - just like shouting "Fire" in a crowded theatre.....

We're all getting cabin fever, there's people going to be trampled in the rush when they do come out.  It might be a good idea to invest in an American Football outfit......

nelson

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:19 pm

no worries, there will be a launch event on the main page detailing how all the units were sold before they could finish writing the release post

cnxsoft

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Dapa said:

That would not be evil. That would just be perfect !.. for me.

Jongoleur

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:40 pm

nelson said:

no worries, there will be a launch event on the main page detailing how all the units were sold before they could finish writing the release post

Alternatively, potential buyers may hold back, because they think they'll have no chance of getting a RaspPi in the initial rush, causing uptake on the first day to be less than it might be.  Keep your nerve and you may get one!

I see - back to 9+4..... 

Dapa

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:58 pm

One danger is that if the release news gets published / tweeted / re-tweeted by one of the large blog sites e.g. Engadget and their readers think "Cool, a $25 media device - I'll order one for the hell of it!" you might have a situation where the majority sell out to hordes of gadget fans, while many loyal contributors here don't even learn of it before it's too late.

The only practical way I can think of around this, is to ask everyone here to pre-register for a store account, then close the new sign up option for a number of hours after the announcement.

Engadget

crundy

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Reminds me of the days when CokeZone wasn't crap, and they were releasing the Xboxes at random times throughout the day, so I wrote a perl script which checked the page's HTML every 10 mins and if it couldn't find the "Sold Out" gif referenced then it sent me a text message. Got two xboxes and a fatboy with that little beauty

Jongoleur

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Dapa said:

One danger is that if the release news gets published / tweeted / re-tweeted by one of the large blog sites e.g. Engadget and their readers think "Cool, a $25 media device - I'll order one for the hell of it!" you might have a situation where the majority sell out to hordes of gadget fans, while many loyal contributors here don't even learn of it before it's too late.

The only practical way I can think of around this, is to ask everyone here to pre-register for a store account, then close the new sign up option for a number of hours after the announcement.

Its something the Foundation might take into consideration, I suppose...

As for the gadgeteers, they may back off when they find that the first batch will all be the $35 version.  (fingers crossed!)

SergeantFTC

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Dapa said:

I for one hope that they do something like this

Return to “General discussion”