andrum99

Re: 64bit and hardware accelerated video?

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:12 pm

6by9 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 am
This view of ZFS from Linus just popped up in my news feed. https://itsfoss.com/linus-torvalds-zfs/
Luckily that's just one person's opinion. I don't see anything close to ZFS in the filesystem space at all. Nothing comes near it, certainly not in open source.

andrum99

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:16 pm

ejolson wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 pm
6by9 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 am
This view of ZFS from Linus just popped up in my news feed. https://itsfoss.com/linus-torvalds-zfs/
Although Linus doesn't spend much time discussing 64-bit video drivers for the Raspberry Pi, his perception concerning the nature of Oracle as a company is becoming common among software developers. In my opinion, Oracle has lost a significant amount of good will due to the Java lawsuits, the closed again nature of Solaris, discontinuing the SPARC hardware, purchased control over the development of MySQL and a confusing licensing scheme.
All true, but ZFS has nothing really to do with any of that, since it was open-sourced by Sun before Oracle bought them. Also, at least one of its creators now works on the open-source version, not Oracle's - many of Sun's top engineers left once Oracle took over, at various times since.
Last edited by andrum99 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dickon

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:19 pm

Most of the team, AIUI. It's why Oracle's version has stalled: the bulk left for Nexenta, which was started (I think) by one of the ZFS architects.

andrum99

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:20 pm

dickon wrote:
Most of the team, AIUI. It's why Oracle's version has stalled...
That plus the fact that Oracle have done a "silent EOL" of Solaris now as well.
dickon wrote:
...Nexenta, which was started (I think) by one of the ZFS architects.
That's not the case - they simply made (and make) good use of ZFS, and the rest of OpenSolaris, in their systems.

Edit: actually, that's probably correct - I was getting mixed up with Joyent.
Last edited by andrum99 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlhung

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:49 am

Giga_Pi wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:53 pm
Manjaro KDE works very well on a Raspberry Pi 4 (speed wise anyway) it is 64bit, and I've been able to listen to music on youtube whilst doing other taks in chromium. It comes with firefox quantum as well, if that suits you best.
support GPU acceleration in Firefox and media player?

X-Gen

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:39 am

I don't own a 4B with 4GB of RAM, but does it use the same amount as Windows (3,3-3,6GB), or does it use the entire 4GB?

And if not, does following command work on Raspbian?:

Code: Select all

sudo sudo apt-get install linux-headers-server linux-image-server linux-server
it should enable 32bit operating systems to support up to 64GB of RAM. So it should certainly enable a full usage of 4GB.

The main reason operating systems went to 64bit, is because of RAM.
But if you're looking at a pi, which uses reduced instructions, low memory footprint, and is used for mostly simple applications (compared to desktops or servers), 32Bit (4GB) is all you really need.
And with the PAE extension, 64GB should be good enough for the next 10 years or so.

MS, Intel and other large manufacturers are holding conferences, about going back from Python sloppy and inefficient code, to C/C++ (efficient code); meaning that a lot more programs now can be coded more efficiently, needing less ram and CPU resources.

A lot of code is written with inefficient algorithms, just because the coding language is easy.
And it was necessary, because software was changing so rapidly.
But with C/C++ most code will run like drivers do. Blazing fast, even on old hardware.

Giga_Pi

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:58 am

carlhung wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:49 am
Giga_Pi wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:53 pm
Manjaro KDE works very well on a Raspberry Pi 4 (speed wise anyway) it is 64bit, and I've been able to listen to music on youtube whilst doing other taks in chromium. It comes with firefox quantum as well, if that suits you best.
support GPU acceleration in Firefox and media player?
I think so. It seemed to work well with all websites, and (not sure how) I was even able to install openRA through their package manager, and it ran fine (windowed mode, not sure what size).
As soon as the DM smiles, you know it's too late...

Return to “General discussion”