pitbulltrainer10

Raspberry pi zero w

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:01 am

I'm just curious if you can watch movies and TV shows on the raspberry pi zero w

deepo

Re: Raspberry pi zero w

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:34 am

The official TV hat (for DVB-T and DVB-T2) produced by Raspberry Pi (Foundation?) shows images of it mounted to an RPi Zero:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... pi-tv-hat/

So I think it's possible. But I don't know whether that's how you receive TV signals.
The hat supports the terrestial signal, not the cable version called DVB-C.

/Mogens

thagrol

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:55 pm

it largely depends on what you actually mean by "movies and TV shows".

Over the air digital TV broadcasts? OTA analogue broadcasts? Satelite broadcasts? Locally stored files? Files on another machine on your LAN? Internet streaming services? DVDs? Blu ray discs? DRM free or not?

If you can get the video in to the zeroW it should handle playing it though some formats may benefit from having the codec licenses. VIdeo playback on a A+ pi is fine and that predates the zeroW though they both use broadly the same CPU and GPU.

The TV hat will get you OTA digital TV in most places but check the specs against those in use where you live.

For most other broadcast services you'll need a USB device to recieve the signal and pass it digitaly to the Pi.

For streaming services, that'll largely depend on whether they can be acessed by a web browser or whether they're restricted to a service specific client. Even with a web browser, it'll depend on what features the browser must support and which browser you're trying to use. If you need a service specific client, it's unlikely a linux version exists and where one does, it's unlikely that a suitable ARM Linux one is available.

Locally stored files may perform better on USB storage than when stored on the SD card but that's dependent on the performace of the USB storage device.

If your intent is to bypass copyright (e.g via downloads, VPN, unofficial streaming services, torrents, etc) please don't ask for tips on that. They won't be forth comming. At least not from me.
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

Moonmarch

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:59 pm

The RPI0W can run Chromium the browser will take several minutes to load which means the Chromium browser is almost unusable unless you know which websites you need to access internet browsing using Chromium will be challenging, if you needed a internet browser to access the internet or search the internet you can use Dillo-3 which is included in Raspbian you can load dillo using the dillo command in the terminal, Dillo does not play any videos, and has questionable web page rendering which means most web pages will load with several errors.

You can watch YouTube videos using VLC media player on the RPI0W if you know the web address of the video, VLC will be able to play the YouTube video.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:46 am

pitbulltrainer10 wrote:
I'm just curious if you can watch movies and TV shows on the raspberry pi zero w

LibreElec Operating System:

https://libreelec.tv/about/

Though to watch TV you will need a TV Tuner / TVHeadEnd:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Tvheadend
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

rin67630

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 am

pitbulltrainer10 wrote:
You probably won't be happy with the results and regret having spent $12 for such a miserable result.
The Zero is not really targeted at high res videos.
Get at least a 3a+ and you will not regret the few extra bucks.
[/quote]

Return to “General discussion”