cowpat

Re: Solar Power

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:20 pm

That is true poing - I only ruled out a wind/solar combination for my project because of the DEFRA report on wind turbines and bat casualties that is presently ongoing.  I'm looking at terrestrial species on an SSSI nature reserve, it would be a bit embarrassing to kill anything in the air while we're at it! For other projects, it has potential.

poing

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:47 pm

OK I can see that. But I guess you could make a casing for the rotor with some wire mesh(? what they use to fence chickens) to prevent mashed bats.

Another possibility is a vertical axis wind turbine. Not as effective, but it should be recognized as an 'object' by the bats.

cowpat

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:47 pm

That's true... I should probably do some more research there before I rule wind out completely. I've seen the vertical axis turbines around - i'd be more interested in going down that road than trying to build anything, but to be honest 60W of solar power doesn't frighten me too much - and i don't need to run in winter... the biggest problem is not getting it stolen or vandalised, which is no doubt equally relevant to a wind generator.

morphy_richards

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:00 pm

"turbines and bat casualties that is presently ongoing."
You might want to double check this but I understood it was the really large offshore style turbines that cause bat casualties and that is due to the air pressure difference on the trailing edge of the rotors causing their delicate ears to implode. If you are considering the smaller turbines you see mounted on canal barges and caravans I"m sure that wouldn"t cause a problem.

cowpat

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:37 pm

From what I gather, you're right in that barotrauma is linked to the big turbines. I found some material on microturbines on the Bat Conservation Trust website, which - given what i'm doing, and where i'm doing it - is enough put me off using them. With due consideration it might be ok for other projects though...

http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/m.....ssues.html

particularly, from the above

http://www.bats.org.uk/publica.....s_2010.pdf

Return to “General discussion”