mak

Re: IDE for Pi Development?

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Whilst I realise that as always, coding can be done with any old text editor and compiler, I was wondering if there were any more comprehensive offerings available for the Pi?

From my university days, I remember using Keil's software, which combined an editor with a Watch window for port outputs, monitoring of clocks etc, and generally provided a level of awareness of the hardware the code would be running on as well as the standard compilation and execution of C code.

Keil is a very expensive article, and I was wondering if there were open source equivalents that both existed and were compatible with the Pi?

avishorp

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Eclipse for C/C++ (actually eclipse with the CDT extension) is a very good IDE for that purpose. You only have to specify the correct compiler (which can be download from CodeSourcery or compiled from source). It will also give you full debugging capabilities, provided you know how to set up gdb for remote debugging.

There are other IDE such as Kdevelop and Geany (both for linux). I'm not familiar with them, but they will probably work as well.

spurious

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:25 pm

I think Eclipse is Java based.. but might be wrong?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 pm

You will struggle with Eclipse of the Raspi itself, much too memory hungry. Ok on a decent spec desktop though. I quite like it although others don't....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

spurious

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:35 pm

Just done a Google.. This looks like it might be OK as a simple lightweight IDE:

http://www.geany.org/

Not used it, but hey this is all new, trying to find stuff that will work on limited memory and low processing power. It's a challenge... maybe the community needs to write an IDE that is tailored to the R-Pi?

ArborealSeer

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:42 pm

I looked this up myself and found geany previously.. what i'm now wondering is.. are there any that provide remote network debugging (msvcmon/msvsmon style)
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

spurious

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:56 pm

ArborealSeer said:

I looked this up myself and found geany previously.. what i'm now wondering is.. are there any that provide remote network debugging (msvcmon/msvsmon style)

http://lists.uvena.de/geany/20.....04663.html

This may have the details needed to get remote debug to work with Geany

ArborealSeer

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:01 pm

awesome.. may be able to build on one machine (or even another pi!) debug from that, but have the code from there running on another one. my main reason for this is i want to play with opengl.. and debugging that kind of stuff on the same box aint fun!
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

spurious

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:07 pm

The plugins seem reasonable too... god I sound like I'm selling this and I havn't even used it!  LOL

http://plugins.geany.org/geanygdb.html

kaedroho

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:22 pm

If Geany works on the Raspberry Pi, I would recommend that. I use it for all my Python and C/C++ work.

It has many advanced features like folding, class browser, autocomplete, etc. But it still feels lightweight.

mak

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Ah, having re-read my original post it wasn't as clear as I had wanted it to be.

I'm not talking about an IDE which will run ON the RaspPi, I'm talking about an IDE for a desktop machine which will allow monitoring and debugging of the code FOR the RaspPi.

Hope that clears it up, I'll edit my original post. Thanks for the replies guys, going to check out Geany and remote debugging (never heard of that before!).

na1pir

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 pm

R-pi doesn't have any dedicated jtag/jlink or somthing similar(it is but i belive it is for video core programing, but that is closed for users). Posible solutions are debuging with network via ssh, maybe with tty connected to usb 2 rs232, or with gpio.

Just google gdbserver.

Tomo2k

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Remote debugging for this kind of system is usually over Ethernet, so that should work fine on a Model B.

(Remote debugging drivers notwithstanding)

jamesh

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:53 pm

I'd run Eclipse on the desktop and remote gdb to the Raspi over Ethernet. Commonly used for embedded development.

Although you can of course run gbd on the Pi itself with no problems.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

codeluggage

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:20 pm

I was just lurking on the forums, and figured I'd try to contribute What about something that is not connected to the OS itself, but rather portable like this?http://www.kickstarter.com/pro.....f=category

Return to “General discussion”