rowan.bradley

download jessie ????

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:28 pm

The reason that I started reading this thread was that the instructions that I've got (Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi Zero W) specifically mention Jessie, and since I am a complete beginner at this, I have no idea whether these instructions will work with the latest version of Raspbian (which seems to be called Buster), or what to do if they don't. I am currently trying to use Buster, but if it doesn't work, I will have to go back to Jessie (unless someone can tell me where to find an equivalent document to Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi Zero W which uses Buster).

Thank you - Rowan

DougieLawson

Re: download jessie

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Forget Jessie ever existed.

The history is: Wheezy retired when Jessie was released (2015). Jessie retired when Stretch was released (2017). Stretch retired when Buster (& the RPi4) were released (2019).

So you're pondering something that's now four years out of date and doesn't support all models.

Just grab Buster and install that, it is fully supported on all RPi models.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

rpdom

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:55 pm

rowan.bradley wrote:
The reason that I started reading this thread was that the instructions that I've got (Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi Zero W) specifically mention Jessie, and since I am a complete beginner at this, I have no idea whether these instructions will work with the latest version of Raspbian (which seems to be called Buster), or what to do if they don't. I am currently trying to use Buster, but if it doesn't work, I will have to go back to Jessie (unless someone can tell me where to find an equivalent document to Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi Zero W which uses Buster).

Thank you - Rowan
Use Buster. If you encounter problems, ask here. It is easier for us to help with something that is current, rather than something that is no longer supported.
Unreadable squiggle

B.Goode

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:28 pm

rowan.bradley wrote:
The reason that I started reading this thread was that the instructions that I've got (Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi Zero W) specifically mention Jessie, and since I am a complete beginner at this, I have no idea whether these instructions will work with the latest version of Raspbian (which seems to be called Buster), or what to do if they don't. I am currently trying to use Buster, but if it doesn't work, I will have to go back to Jessie (unless someone can tell me where to find an equivalent document to which uses Buster).

Thank you - Rowan

Perhaps it would be useful to provide some sort of citation or reference for your publication Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi Zero W ?

Is it a book? Is it online? Did it come with a Starter Kit?

A lot depends on your own attitude to learning. Most things will probably be broadly similar, but if you need absolutely precise word-perfect documentation it would be preferable to seek an updated version. (That seems a preferable approach to starting your learning with an obsoleted, unsupported and potentially insecure Operating System.)

Edit: partly duplicated by other responses as I was typing....

Return to “General discussion”