mattmiller

Where have the PiZeros gone?

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:44 pm

So, there seems to be a shortage of PiZero in the shops in the UK .......

HawaiianPi

Re: Where have the PiZeros gone?

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:01 pm

mattmiller wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:44 pm
So, there seems to be a shortage of PiZero in the shops in the UK .......
If you actually meant the Pi Zero (not W).
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero

There are some shortages of other models due to the overwhelming popularity of the Raspberry Pi 4B (production was shifted toward the new model to try and catch up with demand). The Pi Zero models and the 1GB Pi 4B are made by Raspberry Pi Trading, while other models are made by various manufacturers (Sony, Premier Farnell, and others I can't recall at the moment). Not sure who decides what get's made, but other models have been in short supply recently (not just the Pi Zero, people have been complaining that the 3B+ is hard to find as well).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

drgeoff

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:24 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
The Pi Zero models and the 1GB Pi 4B are made by Raspberry Pi Trading, while other models are made by various manufacturers (Sony, Premier Farnell, and others I can't recall at the moment)
I think that is not quite correct. My understanding of the situation is along the following lines at least in concept:

The Zero models and the 1 Gbyte RPi4B are made for (not by) RPT. The orders to the manufacturer(s) are placed by RPT. The devices are sold to RPT. RPT pay the manufacturer. RPT sells the devices to distributors/retailers. They pay RPT.

The other RPi models are manufactured under licence. Orders are placed by the distributors. The devices are sold to the distributors and they pay the manufacturers. Someone (probably the manufacturer) pays the licence money to RPT (or RPF?).

It is entirely possible and indeed likely that the two sets (Zero models/1G RPi4B and other models) are made by the same manufacturers.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:27 am

drgeoff wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:24 am
HawaiianPi wrote:
The Pi Zero models and the 1GB Pi 4B are made by Raspberry Pi Trading, while other models are made by various manufacturers (Sony, Premier Farnell, and others I can't recall at the moment)
I think that is not quite correct. My understanding of the situation is along the following lines at least in concept:

The Zero models and the 1 Gbyte RPi4B are made for (not by) RPT. The orders to the manufacturer(s) are placed by RPT. The devices are sold to RPT. RPT pay the manufacturer. RPT sells the devices to distributors/retailers. They pay RPT.

The other RPi models are manufactured under licence. Orders are placed by the distributors. The devices are sold to the distributors and they pay the manufacturers. Someone (probably the manufacturer) pays the licence money to RPT (or RPF?).

It is entirely possible and indeed likely that the two sets (Zero models/1G RPi4B and other models) are made by the same manufacturers.

It is stated who the manufacturer is on the Revision Code web page:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

andrum99

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:00 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
The Pi Zero models and the 1GB Pi 4B are made by Raspberry Pi Trading.
Is the 1GB Pi 4B really made by RPT? That's interesting. There obviously isn't enough margin in it for Premier Farnell and Allied RS.

GOTO GOSUB

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:17 pm

I would suggest that one drain on available stock has been the more widespread availability of the GameBoy inspired RetroFlag GPi handheld case that uses Pi Zero's. They have been available for a while but usually on import only (how I got mine), but several UK stockists now exist which has probably boosted demand for these little beasties.

http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:47 pm

GOTO GOSUB wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:17 pm
I would suggest that one drain on available stock has been the more widespread availability of the GameBoy inspired RetroFlag GPi handheld case that uses Pi Zero's. They have been available for a while but usually on import only (how I got mine), but several UK stockists now exist which has probably boosted demand for these little beasties.

http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

I really want one of those....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Raspberry Paul

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Wonder if the shortages have anything to do with this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50434759
we whizz past a research lab where a secret project that he won't tell me about is under way
Pimoroni also out of stock on the Zero W and Zero WH.
http://www.raspberrypaul.co.uk

trejan

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Raspberry Paul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:38 pm
Wonder if the shortages have anything to do with this?
FWIW there was a recent interview with Eben Upton and he said nothing planned at present for the Pi Zero.
https://notenoughtech.com/news/eben-upton-talks-about-raspberry-pi-4-space-but-definitely-not-rpi5-interview/ wrote: Any upcoming revisions to Raspberry Pi Zero series?

Nothing planned at present. It’s hard to fit the later chipsets (BCM2836, 2837) into the Zero form factor as they have external RAM. It would be great to find a way to offer an ARMv7 (or even ARMv8) device in that form factor and price though.
Decide for yourself if this is a cunning attempt at distracting people from the super secret Pi Zero+ project or there are no actual plans.

DougieLawson

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:14 pm

Oh my, we're getting pink ponies and unicorns for Xmas.

I'm aghast, can I get one with rainbow ribbons on backorder?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

davidcoton

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:36 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:14 pm
I'm aghast, can I get one with rainbow ribbons on backorder?
Pony, Unicorn or Pi Zero?
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”