ewm3

Re: What have we missed?

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks. I am looking forward The Release Day :).

Arbelzapf

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Is it possible to add built-in speakers to the Raspi? I mean, without using the headphone jack for that.
If not, that would be a nice addition for all sorts of handheld projects.

abishur

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Sure! I would imagine all you would need to do is solder the wires onto the 3.5mm posts... though it would be a lot easier (and safer!) just to use the headphone jack itself ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

emercer

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on August 10, 2011, 22:44
I don't want to hijack the thread with my concerns, I've said my piece. I'm in the market for a cheap corded keyboard with a well-supported, integrated pointing device, and a Damn Good USB hub ^^

We're on the same page here on wants/needs... No USB hub (yet), but I found a pretty decent keyboard with integrated touchpad... This thread has the rundown on the search: http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....8;t=134.11 forwards.

unholythree

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:55 am

Do not forget that a low cost server for education and training would be in line with the foundations goals
Hear, Hear! The kids need servers too!

In all seriousness I bet the R-Pi comes in many flavors as time goes on. After all the sheevaplug server was a successor to the guruplug. It only makes sense that commonly requested features would find their way into future reincarnations. Let's keep our fingers crossed and think of compelling reasons a server edition would serve the objectives of the foundation.

But I still want a Raspberry Server dang it. LMAO
Agreed!

scologic

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:19 am

An easy way to connect ports via headers so a board can be housed in a case and the power switch etc can be case mounted, or headers so internal usb devices can be connected rather than a BIG Usb A cable.

epax

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:38 pm

forget about wifi, gps, dvb, dab and 3G! the future is SDR (software defined radio).
reciver: http://www.national.com/pf/DC/.....l#Overview
transmitter: ?? 380-2500Mhz at 100-200mW+ (or at least 1700-2500Mhz)
multiple RX and TX connectors (min. 1 RX & 2 TX for future full duplex)
And its a simple way to circumvent gsm/dab/wifi patents & licence fees.
and (e)SATA please...

Chris Tyler

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:20 am

A battery-backed real-time clock (RTC) could be really useful in a number of contexts. Most Linux distros assume that time is available from somewhere (typically RTC or network).

Montekuri

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Everyone who want use a Remote Control over R-Pi can build a homemade Serial Port Receiver:
http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

Well, it is assumed that we will have access to serial headers on the R-pi device.

robhague

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:10 pm

Maybe a bit close to the wire, but one thing that would be really handy: a power switch. This would save pulling out the power jack to turn off the unit, which can't be good in the long term. A switch on the board would be ideal, but failing that a switch on the power brick (as there is, I think, on the ones that come with ThinkPads).

abishur

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Quote from robhague on October 5, 2011, 19:10
Maybe a bit close to the wire, but one thing that would be really handy: a power switch. This would save pulling out the power jack to turn off the unit, which can't be good in the long term. A switch on the board would be ideal, but failing that a switch on the power brick (as there is, I think, on the ones that come with ThinkPads).

Unless they've changed things around, the model A/B will not have a power switch, but I've made a thread in the projects sub-forum here describing how you can add a switch to your PS. Very easy to do, costs a buck or two.

robhague

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks - I'll have a look at that.

nullstring

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 pm

I just wanted add votes for-

(in order of priority)
-Sata (2 ports would be awesome)
-gb ethernet
-4 usb ports
-second gb ethernet.

Scribe

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:21 pm

I think gigabit ethernet's a good one, as it wont increase board size but 100mbit just doesn't cut it these days. USB 3.0 would be nice, one port is fine, I'll use a hub =P SATA for all variety of hard dists inc SSD for sure!

veronicathecow

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Could I please ask for D to and A to D, some simple digital O/P pins, options of more RAM, low power or pause and wake up on signal mode. Also Puppy Linux would be perfect for this although it's x86 not Arm based. Many thanks.

Lob0426

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:11 am

@scribe the USB 2.0 is part of the BCM2835 it is not a separate chipset. USB is very processor intensive so I have doubts that even if the a SoC had USB 3.0, that it's performance would be very good, certainly not up to full USB 3.0 standards. The Ethernet is derived from the LAN9512 on the model B. A gigabit Ethernet attached to a LAN9512 "style" chipset, which is a USB hub, would not reach full gigabit standards. USB 2.0 maxs out at 60MBps and Gigabit is capable of 125MBps. The SoC itself would have to be brought up to USB 3.0. The 700MHz ARM would probably not be able to run USB 3.0 to it's fullest and that is before there is an OS and programs running on it. Another way to think of it that USB 2.0 runs at 480Mbps which is slightly less than half of the speed of gigabit Ethernet.

Do not get me wrong it would be great to have a SoC that had USB 3.0. It would be a very versatile little device. High transfer rates for storage devices. Gigabit Ethernet. Plenty of bandwidth for multiple tasks. Full duplex rather than half duplex. The real question would be what ARM would be able to run USB 3.0 efficiently and at it's full capacity. I am thinking it would take one of the dual core cortex's around 1GHz. To do it. The price would jump to at least quadruple what RasPi is now.

USB 3.0 is just too new for it even to be thought about for an ARM based device yet!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

nomis

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:23 pm

One thing that this needs is a way to capture video through the rca cables. If it is going to be a DVR, it needs to be able to record the show.

abishur

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Who says it's going to be a DVR? :P

kattle87

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Can I only ask one last question about RAM?
I know for sure 256 MB + swap is just fine, I can tell you since I own a N900 (runs Maemo-that is, Debian-) on that much ram and everything's fine.
But with the model A having "only" 128, do you think one might have some problems with programs like Firefox? You know, it's rather RAM-hungry...
And for you saying "just get B model then", well, I actually wanted to get both models, one A and one B, the A model being the one I will always have in my pocket. I'm just wondering how much of a difference it might be, and if it might be worth just getting 2 B instead.

abishur

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Well, Firefox has released an ARM version which works on most cellphones, I don't know how versatile it is but I would image that it would run on the model A. My actual suggestion though is to not use firefox at all :P There are several other browsers that will work on the r-pi even with 128 MB RAM. Part of using the r-pi will definitely be learning to fit within memory constraints, yes that means you have to give up some programs you've always used, but that doesn't mean you have to use an inferior program, just a *different* one. Assuming, of course, that firefox does prove too large for the Model a ;)

veronicathecow

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:32 am

Might I request that it is made as environmentally friendly as possible, I.E. recycled packing materials, lower power modes.
Also a connector that will allow the use of that old PSU we all have laying around that belonged to a phone (etc) that died 2 years ago like this.
http://www.onlinesecurityprodu.....-jack.html
Thanks

n1ywb

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:24 pm

PREEMPT_RT patch set.
GPIO input interrupts.
Kernel configuration tuned for real-time performance.

This thing will be used in a million embedded controller applications where the above items will be highly desirable, and they should have no measurable impact on non-realtime users.

n1ywb

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Quote from Chris Tyler on September 13, 2011, 04:20
A battery-backed real-time clock (RTC) could be really useful in a number of contexts. Most Linux distros assume that time is available from somewhere (typically RTC or network).

If you have network, you can sync with NTP at boot. After that the kernel doesn't really need the RTC to keep time. So at boot your clock would presumably start at the epoch, and then jump to the current time at some point, after that you're fine.

veronicathecow

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:34 pm

I would also agree a RTC would be most useful, if nothing else for a wake from sleep function that would keep power consumption low. Very useful for remote sensing where power is limited.

albert007_d

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:04 am

If RP doesn't support RTC, then my plan is to add a tiny board with battery + 8pin i2c RTC chip on to RP so that after linux boot, i can invoke a script to read the date and time from this i2c chip to update the RP's Date and Time.

Infact one of the i2c RTC has an alarm feature to generate an external interrupt to wake-up the RP
this should serve my purpose for low power remote applications.

Return to “General discussion”