rduo

Test software update manager

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm involved with the open source Mender.io OTA update manager, to be able to update software remotely in a safe and easy way to the Raspberry Pi. We have some new ideas we would like to get feedback on!

If you're interested in deploying remote software updates to the Raspberry Pi, please consider to sign up for a user test here: https://mender.io/help-test-mender

No preparation is required and participants will receive a $50 Amazon gift car as an appreciation for your time. Thanks!

neilgl

Re: Test software update manager

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:05 am

Looks like a scam?

deepo

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 am

neilgl wrote:
Looks like a scam?
Why?

B.Goode

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:34 am

neilgl wrote:
Looks like a scam?

"On the Internet noone knows you are a dog... "

Healthy scepticism always a useful skill.

But it would be an elaborate scam involving a website, GitHub repository, long-term Twitter feed...

But $50 seems cheap for a gift car - I would hold out for a Land Rover Defender...

B.Goode

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:58 am

rduo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm involved with the open source https://mender.io/ OTA update manager, to be able to update software remotely in a safe and easy way to the Raspberry Pi.

Fixed the URL for you.

Heater

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:12 am

neilgl,
Looks like a scam?
That's a bit harsh isn't it? And jumping the gun a bit.

I did not look at it in detail but Mender seems to be offering a service like https://www.balena.io Formerly resin.io https://www.balena.io/ Which may well be a very useful thing if you need that.

I do feel that a 1 hour test is absurd. That is no time at all to evaluate it, especially from a security perspective.

Personally I'm not into these services. Even if they offer desirable features. I do not want my systems to be permanently tied to some third party that is seeking to collect rent for them in perpetuity I do not want to risk my fleet becoming unavailable when the service operator has burned through all it's venture capital ans shut down. As has happened with numerous IoT/cloud offerings already.

It's essentially the same problem as tying your work to a closed source proprietary operating system.

What would make this kind of idea attractive is if I could deploy software and updates to my fleet of remote Pi and other machines but I could choose which operator I want to use and I could change operator if need be.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

bjtheone

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Heater wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:12 am
What would make this kind of idea attractive is if I could deploy software and updates to my fleet of remote Pi and other machines but I could choose which operator I want to use and I could change operator if need be.
The problem is that without some form of lockin how would they monetize it? This is one of the biggest issues with FOSS and where I suspect my views differ significantly from Stallman's. However, the lockin had better be a service contract, rather than a proprietary solution than I can't get my stuff out of.

There has to be "something" in it for the developer. Could be fame, reputation building, brand recognition, or could be money. But the cold hard reality is that it takes a time investment to develop software, and for the vast majority of us, time == money. Contributing at a hobby level is workable for lots of folks, but doing the heavy lifting serious development requires much more time and than means someone needs to pay for it. There is also the issue of support. For some stuff I am good with self support, with other stuff I want the ability to buy 24x7, high availability to subject matter experts.

I am fine with buying software (paying developers) and paying for services. However, I want to make sure I have a clean exit strategy, should the supplier close up shop. My data is mine. Sticking with open formats, and Linux mostly means if some package developer shuts down, either someone else will pick it up, fork it, or worst case I can take my data and use another tool.

Return to “General discussion”