RossDv8

Chromium SNAP Package warning - AND Question

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 pm

I noticed that the files required to install and run snap packages are in the Raspbian Buster repo.
I also discovered that the latest Chromium Browser in some Linux distros, particularly Ubuntu based distros, have begun transitioning from deb packages to snap packages for distribution and update.

Now, Raspbian Butter users are still on Chromium version 74.x, and it is still a deb package. But on one of my Ubuntu based systems, the latest update of Chromium Browser to 78.x was ONLY available via snap!

And herein lies the 'Warning'.
The Chromium snap package is NOT usable on some systems. I just had to update some of the information on one of our resort's web blogs, and the mouse cursor in Chromium (yes, I'm lazy and use Blogger) was so tiny I could barely read it. Like a full stop or a comma being moved around the screen.
A little googling suggests this mouse cursor problem has been an issue for a while.
So for anyone running a Ubuntu based Linux on the Pi, be careful updating Chromium if you get an advice that the latest update can only be made using 'snap'. It is STILL IN TESTING, even though it is being used by some releases.

So on to the 'Question' in this post. Is the team that produces Raspbian considering packaging Chromium as a snap package in the near future?
I realise Raspbian and Ubuntu are miles apart, but trends happen. It would be nice, if Chromium goes this way, to at least hold off until some of the annoying issues are sorted..
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

trejan

Re: Chromium SNAP Package warning - AND Question

Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:16 am

RossDv8 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 pm
So on to the 'Question' in this post. Is the team that produces Raspbian considering packaging Chromium as a snap package in the near future?
No. Snaps are Ubuntu specific as the whole system is designed and run by Canonical. The sandboxing doesn't work properly on anything other than Ubuntu anyway with only partial confinement being available. Flatpaks are the distribution agnostic equivalent of snaps. The .debs packages aren't going away anytime soon.

RossDv8

Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:44 am

Thank heaven for that, although it surprised me to find the requisite files for snap in the Raspbian repo, which was the reason for this post.
I wonder why they are there, if snap is not likely to be any use in Raspbian...
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

Heater

Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:59 am

Snaps are not Ubuntu specific.

From the Snap home page:

"Snaps work across Linux on any distribution or version. Bundle your dependencies and assets, simplifying installs to a single standard command."

https://snapcraft.io/

Whether it actually works as advertised is another matter. Clearly the intention is that it should.

Personally I think it's another layer of disgusting bloat and Canonical junk that I hope we can avoid in Debian.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”