Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Re: New Pi 4B v1.2?

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:56 pm

So... The question asked in this topic's title has been answered. Does it make sense to continue going circles around something so simple?

BTW, I don't recall this much noise back the in the Xenon Flash era... That was far more serious - having a Pi that could be shutdown with a camera flash! At least with the USB-C thing, once you get it running it will stay on!

Did the flash thing ever get solved?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:14 am

Tzarls wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:56 pm
Did the flash thing ever get solved?
I think so, by encapsulating the bare Silicon chip involved. There were a number of ad hoc solutions like tape and nail polish. The problem certainly didn't recur with the Pi3B.

o635789

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:11 am

PeterO wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 pm

I don't like the attitude of some folks here from the community. They just seem to want to push their own agendas. I mean "I have to say the power design is a mess" seems to be just an insult to the RPT folks, and who are you to declare it "a mess" ? As far as we know you are just some random guy with no real experience of designing power supplys who is jumping on a bandwagon because someone on reddit said so !

PeterO
As far as I know the foundation is not a charity, I am a consumer giving opinions not for financial benefits, and I say it's a mess.

Speaking of the knowledge of power supply, I followed Benson Leung when USB-C charging first became a thing and knew the pull up resistor issue for years. Yes I'm not a power supply engineer, I'm just a consumer and knew exactly that issue years before you did, and that is the problem: the engineering team is less informed than the consumers.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:31 am

o635789 wrote:
PeterO wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 pm

I don't like the attitude of some folks here from the community. They just seem to want to push their own agendas. I mean "I have to say the power design is a mess" seems to be just an insult to the RPT folks, and who are you to declare it "a mess" ? As far as we know you are just some random guy with no real experience of designing power supplys who is jumping on a bandwagon because someone on reddit said so !

PeterO
As far as I know the foundation is not a charity, I am a consumer giving opinions not for financial benefits, and I say it's a mess.
On the contrary. The Raspberry Pi Foundation most definitely IS a charity. Their charitable goal is increasing the number of children studying STEM subject in general and CS in particular. However, Raspberry Pi (Trading), Ltd. is a wholly owned for-profit subsidiary of the Foundation, so I can see where some confusing might occur.

Heater

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:02 am

o635789 wrote:
As far as I know the foundation is not a charity...
Wrong. The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a registered charity in the UK. I should probably stop reading your post at this point.
o635789 wrote:
...I am a consumer giving opinions not for financial benefits, and I say it's a mess.
I say it was a silly little mistake. Which bothered almost nobody and did not prevent the device working as advertised. And has been pretty promptly fixed. Such things happen all the time. Nothing to fuss about. Far worse things have happened, like my exploding Microsoft Surface Pro 4, but that is another story.
o635789 wrote:
...the engineering team is less informed than the consumers.
That is absurd.

Sure, no doubt there are many highly skilled and experienced engineers among the Pi user community. I bet they all make mistakes from time to time as well.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Imperf3kt

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:12 am

Whats wrong with the power design? A single missed resistor? That is not a mess, its a mistake, a mistake that affects an extremely low percentage of users, was admitted to and fixed (still without actual confirmation) and doesn't stop the board from functioning via other suitable methods of delivering power. Additionally, it can be manually fixed by a skilled individual with standard de/soldering tools, some tweezers, and a steady hand.

Whats the issue?

Buy the official power supply, like any other company would force you to do (or they'd void your warranty) and you won't have any issue at all.
Be grateful that you can use any power supply of your choice, and still retain your warranty and claim free support when it doesn't work because the chosen power supply is insufficient.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:39 am

I've had enough of this nonsense.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”