stevenbtje
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Is it possible to instal mac os 10.2 on it?
It works on a mac with 256mb and 500mHz.
Or is it possible to run other os software on it?

An another question, can i use an usb dvd player?
Thanks

Deekkarn
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:03 pm

No, Mac OS 10.2 will not run on the Raspberry Pi since it's an ARM based computer. Something that Mac OS 10.2 doesn't support.

Any other OS that supports the use of an ARM processor might run, but it will most likely require a port for it too fully work.

You will most likely be able to use a USB DVD player. Maybe not at launch, it depends on the amount of drivers available.

spurious
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:10 pm

OSX - no

Other OS - Linux

DVD - ?

KristerPI
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:17 pm

OS X will not run, but I wonder if GNUStep might run on the Rasberry PI?

Not the same thing, but from a programming point of view, somehow related!

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Even slashdotters know that you can't run any variety of OS X on hardware that hasn't been blessed by Apple!  Nevermind, there'll be several flavours of Linux and perhaps RiscOS too to keep the adventurous happy....

As for the DVD, it'll probably be accessible as a data device at least...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

adlambert

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Hackintosh.com can help you get Apple OS X running on loads of non Apple PCs and laptops, but all are x86. Nearest Apple software running on ARM is iOS....I doubt we will see a version of OS X for arm just yet though, and never again with such low processor and RAM specs.

Jaseman
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:59 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 am

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha......

User avatar
rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4258
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:37 am

stevenbtje said:


Or is it possible to run other os software on it?


QNX possibly with a bit of work. But you wouldn't want to; it's just like Linux except it's hard real-time.

Bengaul
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Jaseman said:


Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha......


That's not fair!

You are not born with the knowledge. As you know, the device was made for educational purposes, and a question answered is a fact learned. People should be able to do this without judgement or fear, thus enabling the learning process to go without hindrance!

Jaseman
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:59 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Apologies.  I assumed it was a joke question.

I think you should stick with Linux on this baby.

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Bengaul said:


Jaseman said:


Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha......


That's not fair!

You are not born with the knowledge. As you know, the device was made for educational purposes, and a question answered is a fact learned. People should be able to do this without judgement or fear, thus enabling the learning process to go without hindrance!



Given the number of responses above that indicate that it is highly unlikely that you'd ever get an Apple operating system running on the Raspberry Pi, manic laughter is pretty fair comment.  Its widely known that Apple DO NOT like people running their operating systems on hardware that they have not authorised, and that it is, in fact, impossible to GET a "legal" copy of OS X unless you own a suitable Apple computer to run it on.

None of the people here were born with the knowledge either, but there are other ways to find out answers rather than posing rather naive questions and complaining when someone gives a robust response.    This isn't the only forum, there are lots around the internet.  Try Google (a good place to ask basic questions btw) and read around.  Its fun and you'll learn lots too!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6101
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Can we not go with the time-honoured reply:

"Read the FAQ"

Though the FAQ is now rather large, and Mac OS is only mentioned towards the bottom.

Maybe someone should edit the FAQ, to put somewhere near the top that it won't run  Mac OS any more than it would Windows!

Dapa
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:07 pm

It is widely believed that Apple have internal builds of OSX running on ARM MacBooks and it is a possibility that they will consider switching from Intel... or are simply keeping their options open and using the demos as a stick with which to beat Intel and get first dabs on new chipsets

Drew
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:50 am

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Dapa said:


It is widely believed that Apple have internal builds of OSX running on ARM MacBooks and it is a possibility that they will consider switching from Intel... or are simply keeping their options open and using the demos as a stick with which to beat Intel and get first dabs on new chipsets


Even so the ARM chips that *may be in test Macs* would be more powerful than the ARMv6 that is in the Pi.

I think the FAQ info for Windows 8 (ARM version) would apply (probably not enough memory). The same is true for the older Android builds which are considerably newer than Mac OS 10.2.

Dapa
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Drew said:


Dapa said:


It is widely believed that Apple have internal builds of OSX running on ARM MacBooks and it is a possibility that they will consider switching from Intel... or are simply keeping their options open and using the demos as a stick with which to beat Intel and get first dabs on new chipsets


Even so the ARM chips that *may be in test Macs* would be more powerful than the ARMv6 that is in the Pi.

I think the FAQ info for Windows 8 (ARM version) would apply (probably not enough memory). The same is true for the older Android builds which are considerably newer than Mac OS 10.2.



Plus, given that Apple have an ARM licence and hundreds of their own people working on the chip design, it's highly likely that any ARM version of OSX would look / use the characteristics of their own chipset.

User avatar
psergiu
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:36 am
Location: TX, U.S.A. (was: RO, E.U.)
Contact: Website

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Yes, you can, up to 10.3. But it will be very, very, very slow.

BlueClogger
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Whether there is any reason to do so is not really relevant - people will want to install Mac OS and others just to see if they can.  I see that being entirely in line with the aims of the Pi.

On the subject of USB DVDs I've tried one on Fefora 16 and Debian on a desktop PC.  Both read data discs without any problem with no additional drivers.  Fedora will, just about, play a non-encrypted DVD with MoviePlayer if I click on a .vob file, but trying to run direct causes a 'missing dvd subpicture decoder error.'  Haven't had time (or need) to sort this out but there are solutions online, and I would be disappointed if the Pi wasn't up to this task.

User avatar
Jessie
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: C/S CO USA

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Burngate said:


Can we not go with the time-honoured reply:

"Read the FAQ"

Though the FAQ is now rather large, and Mac OS is only mentioned towards the bottom.

Maybe someone should edit the FAQ, to put somewhere near the top that it won't run  Mac OS any more than it would Windows!


The FAQ is just a exercise in futility.  Ask yourself "If a tree falls and no one or nothing is around to hear it did it make a sound?"  Then ask yourself "If a FAQ is written and no one reads the damn thing, does it matter how long it is or where the information lies within it?"

If we condense the FAQ then it takes from the few that actually take the time to read it.  At least if it covers most frequently asked questons then we can ask people why they didn't take the time to look at it?  As I have stated many times when people say "Please read the FAQ" ... they arn't generaly doing it to be rude.  The FAQ serves two purposes.  One, it cuts down on repeat posts which dillute the knowlege base and usefulness of the forums.  Two, it helps to maintain the sanity of long time forum members who get tired of seeing the same redundant garbage every day instead of meaningful discussion and questions.  If we can't keep a strong base of useful forum members than no one will be here to answer real questions when they arise.  With the impending release comming long time forum members are valuable.

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

The problem is that when people read the FAQ it is obvious that it is out of date. It was clearly written a couple of months ago and does not appear to have been updated.

When will the device be available to purchase?
We were hoping to have the Raspberry Pi available to order by the end of 2011. We still expect to be auctioning some of our first batch of beta boards before the end of the year (keep an eye on the site after Christmas); we’ll be moving to main production in January.

The Wiki is better in that it is actively being updated

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Jessie said:

If we can't keep a strong base of useful forum members than no one will be here to answer real questions when they arise.  With the impending release comming long time forum members are valuable.

What we need is an indication on how useful the "long time forum members" are going to be post-launch. Its something that could, perhaps be added to the profile for the member to self assess. 

I'd suggest a range from "Guru" down to "Chocolate Teapot", with indications for specialism, eg Hardware, Kernel, Serious Programmer, Hobby Programmer, Tinkerer and so on.

I'd class myself as a Chocolate Teapot, specialising in witty banter. 

(If only to avoid having to answer hard questions)

Not NOW Grasshopper!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Jessie said:

If we can't keep a strong base of useful forum members than no one will be here to answer real questions when they arise.  With the impending release comming long time forum members are valuable.

What we need is an indication on how useful the "long time forum members" are going to be post-launch. Its something that could, perhaps be added to the profile for the member to self assess. 

I'd suggest a range from "Guru" down to "Chocolate Teapot", with indications for specialism, eg Hardware, Kernel, Serious Programmer, Hobby Programmer, Tinkerer and so on.

I'd class myself as a Chocolate Teapot, specialising in witty banter. 

(If only to avoid having to answer hard questions)

Not NOW Grasshopper!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Dave64
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:38 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 pm

If you want information on a raspberry pi I would have imagined it would be perfectly reasonable to ask questions on the Raspberry forum. I would have thought it would be nicer if those questions could be answered without silly comments and looking down the nose at others. I imagined that there would be a lot of younger people interested in this project but if when they ask a question they get laughed down they will probably not revisit (cmon did you not see that it said new member at the side next to the name)

Or is this going to end up another closed insular forum where no one dares ask a question unless they already know the answer.

SeanD
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:25 am
Contact: Website

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Dave64 said:


If you want information on a raspberry pi I would have imagined it would be perfectly reasonable to ask questions on the Raspberry forum. I would have thought it would be nicer if those questions could be answered without silly comments and looking down the nose at others. I imagined that there would be a lot of younger people interested in this project but if when they ask a question they get laughed down they will probably not revisit (cmon did you not see that it said new member at the side next to the name)

Or is this going to end up another closed insular forum where no one dares ask a question unless they already know the answer.


Dave,

No this is a very open and welcoming forum.  The problem is that due to the media coverage that RPi is getting we get huge numbers of people coming and asking questions that have already been answered many, many times before, but are usually answered in the FAQ.  We also get our unfair share of Trolls.

Perhaps the FAQ is not as explicit as it needed to have been to answer this specific question, and there are certain amounts of assumed knowledge (like knowing what an ARM processor is vs an x86 one) that perhaps we should address.

Come to this forum with a question that has not been asked befor or covered in the FAQ and on the whole all you will get is constructive answers.

manicgeek
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Jongoleur said:


Bengaul said:


Jaseman said:


Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha......


That's not fair!

You are not born with the knowledge. As you know, the device was made for educational purposes, and a question answered is a fact learned. People should be able to do this without judgement or fear, thus enabling the learning process to go without hindrance!


Given the number of responses above that indicate that it is highly unlikely that you'd ever get an Apple operating system running on the Raspberry Pi, manic laughter is pretty fair comment.


Whereas I'd have said it was a damned rude response to someone who the responder knows absolutely nothing about.

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Dave64 said:


If you want information on a raspberry pi I would have imagined it would be perfectly reasonable to ask questions on the Raspberry forum. I would have thought it would be nicer if those questions could be answered without silly comments and looking down the nose at others. I imagined that there would be a lot of younger people interested in this project but if when they ask a question they get laughed down they will probably not revisit (cmon did you not see that it said new member at the side next to the name)

Or is this going to end up another closed insular forum where no one dares ask a question unless they already know the answer.



A new member can be anything from a teenager (or younger) to a grumpy old git.  "New Member" only indicates that they have just signed up.  I see you've been a member since the beginning of January, so you're "newer" than some here. Should I make any assumptions about your age?

Asking if the Raspberry Pi will run a notoriously locked down operating system tends to raise eyebrows. Have a look in other forums (not at RaspberryPi.org, I mean) where the "can it run linux" type question is usually a "funny".  Most of the responses above dealt with the question in a brief and informative manner. One made a humorous response.  The rest tried to make sense of the proposition " how can new members be steered to pertinent information so they don't have to ask basic questions".

As for your comment, its fair enough, but in my experience, people here are unusually friendly and helpful.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Return to “General discussion”