MmmmmPie

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:46 am

I'll buy several units just to start:
One for a portable tablet/reader/browser that will likely morph into a wearable computer.
A second for a home NAS.
A third for a garden irrigation controller
A fourth for a spare/development/lightweight browser/general machine.
Off-grid power generation controller, coordinating solar, wind, IC generators and grid/battery systems for reliability and efficiency.
Another for a dedicated electronic card catalog for my personal dead-tree library, running http://tellico-project.org/.
A few more to drive several CNC machines in the shop.
Then at least one for a carputer, GPS moving maps(http://www.openstreetmap.org/), engine management...
Of course, I'll need one for an open source autopilot project...
The ham radio uses abound...
Home automation...
Set top box with various game emulators and DVR, Mythbox/XBMC?
Robotics, from roomba to Quadcopter.

JoeTarrant

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:29 am

Anyone suggested that 1024 of these could be the world's cheapest cluster?

JoeTarrant

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 am

ANother thought. A server version.

I suggested above that these would be great in developing countries. but if the school/college has no internet access, it wouldn't be do useful.

However, if there was a server in the room that could act as a wifi base station and central storage, you could have a classroom wiki, wifi in the classroom, a chat server, etc. A pi version of the Mac Mini server, in essence. If you can't provide the internet, you can have at least a local LAN.

Lob0426

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:32 pm

MmmmPie: please leave a few for the rest of us!
JoeTarrant: take a look at the clustering thread.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Pbit

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 pm

In our factory setting, having a really inexpensive thin client would be great. Especially one that doesn't generate much heat, nor has moving parts. I wonder whether the Ubuntu version you all are testing would run a terminal services client, whether RDP, ICA, or Xen, I don't really care. Our factory workers just need terminal emulation, open office, and browser for e-mail. These sound ideal for that.

I can get just such a device now, pre-packaged and ready to go, but they cost about $400USD. A basic PC is that much! R-pi represents a possibility of making this a more cost-effective way to have controlled, yet ubiquitous computing throughout our organization.

I'm looking forward to the actual sale of these little guys. I agree with a post waaay up from here that they can't get out soon enough! ;)

SergeantFTC

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:49 pm

If possible, I would love to run a router distro on it. The only issue I can think of is needing 2 nics.

Johan

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Thin client or "X client" using LTSP.

For the ethernet-equipped version, that is. It seems like te perfect fit. Even if r-pi doesn't come equipped with PXE, which I don't know that it doesn't, you should be able to get it to boot with Etherboot. I'll probably be posting about this on the general discussion board.

concretedog

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Although mentioned before I'd like to build a nice handheld/portable possibly wearable system from this maybe using one of these tiny cheap media players with av in as a monitor. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/j.....-2gb-73529

Maybe a solar powered/charged server also!

Adeptium

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:58 pm

Would you like to see a R-Pi in space?
We're running a series of near-space missions (>100,000ft, or >30km): see http://stars-project.adeptium.com. The first of these, STARS-1, will almost certainly be using an mBed (http://mbed.org/) as Command and Controll processor, to collect and store data for post-mission processing. However, we're considering the idea of in-situ processing for future mission profiles. Something like the R-Pi that has enough processing power to crunch in space, but a low enough power requirement that we can use our preferred power source (http://www.scosche.com/consume.....oduct/2073), would be ideal - particularly if we can put the video hardware into low-power standby and use it headless.
If that sounds like a good idea, ping us (email at our website) - we should both get some useful publicity from it.

bnolsen

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:16 am

To use in space you'd have to shield it. High speed particles blow holes in stuff which is why a lot of computers in space use very large transistor sizes and/or lots of redundant paths.

To get kid's attention I'd like to go with a cheapo home gaming and video console which also happens to be programmer friendly! Too bad an HDMI capable monitor costs many times what an rpi costs. Maybe rpi's success will find a way to also drive down interface device costs as well!

Adeptium

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:32 am

Quote from bnolsen on August 30, 2011, 01:16
To use in space you'd have to shield it. High speed particles blow holes in stuff which is why a lot of computers in space use very large transistor sizes and/or lots of redundant paths.

If we were going to be there for a long while, that'd be true - but STARS-1 is only a short trip, a few hours, and it's not an orbital mission, just launch-and-return. We can't shield much if at all, as we have to keep to a very tight (ideally <1kg) all-up payload weight. One of the experiments in the instrument package - and we're still designing it - is radiometrics, to try to understand and quantify how hostile the environment is, ideally logged against the altitude profile.

The thing that's the greatest danger at present is CME - solar coronal mass ejection. Even though our atmosphere and magnetosphere protect us from the worst of it. a CME pointed in our direction could still fry everything electronic on board, so we'll be using space weather information from NASA's WIND and STEREO craft as part of the final go/no-go launch criteria.

iAreNewb

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:38 am

It seems there's some miscommunication here. A quick online search reveals that the atmosphere of Earth extends (excluding the exosphere, which is mainly very very low densities of hydrogen/helium which barely acts like a fluid) up about 700 km. Slightly over 30 km is well inside that range, so there are no space debris collisions :P

As for usage in an atmospheric voyage, with <1W power consumption @ 6-20V, it's probably easy to power it via solar (although it'd be very unwise to have that as your only power source). As for that battery link you posted, it's good to know about. I haven't seen such a high capacity battery for that price before.

EDIT: Hmmm... The site's specs on that battery says :
Battery Type: 3.7v - 50000mA Lithium polymer
Output: 5v – 5000mAh

I'm wondering if this means a 10C discharge rate 5000 mAh battery, because the output should be in amperes and the type in ampere hours, right? A bit confusing. If it's just 5Ah though, then never mind, it's a rip off. :(

abishur

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 am

You could always use the composite (RCA) out or get a cheap HDMI to DVI-D convertor. You don't have to get an HDMI capable screen.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Dalamar

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 am

I'm definately thinking HTPC with a HD Dock and Wireless USB keyboard/mouse. Could have one on each TV in the house for that price.

Elta

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:25 pm

As many have pointed before, the Pi would make an excellent lightweight home server.
Add a hard drive in a fanless USB 2.0 enclosure and it could run 24 / 7, totally silent.

I would see on it:
- Some Linux distro (Angstrom Linux or Ubuntu server?)
(I wonder if there will be an 'official' Linux distro that comes with the device.)
- SSH to log into the box remotely
- SAMBA to access the HDD contents. Bonus: SAMBA could also share any USB printer plugged into the Pi on the network :)
- ProFTPd as an alternate way to access the HDD
- HTTP / Bittorrent downloads with Aria2
- apt-cacher-ng so I can update all the Linux PCs on my network with one download.

Eventually:
- LAMP (maybe replacing Apache with lighthttpd?)
- Aria2Web to control Aria2 from a web browser
- Webmin to be able to do common administrative tasks from a web browser too

jdaragon

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:22 pm

I have several applications queued:

0) Asterisk or FreeSwitch. PBX on a credit card!

1) I'd like to look at building a UAV autopilot along the lines of the ardupilot - I had thought this might need hardware hackery, but there are nice, cheap USB-based servo controller boards out there...

2) Having just planted half an acre of undulating grass, I could really do with an robot rabbit - a small, autonomous lawn mower.

3) A dedicated Haskell machine. Actually, a rabbit programmed in Haskell would be *very* satisfying.

chrisa62401

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:09 pm

I would like to create a better Roku type streaming device. Roku is limited to the apps available but the Raspi could be a HTPC in the same footprint as the Roku. Add ir remote and navigation similar to the onscreen navigation on the Roku.

jasonl

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:43 pm

I've liberated an old Apple M0116 keyboard from the attic. It's pretty solid with quality ALPS keyswitches. I intend on renovating it and converting it to USB using a Teensy or some other AVR. There's a lot of space left in the keyboard, so it'll be good to put a Raspberry-Pi in there to create an Amiga/Atari-st style computer. Apple-Pi? :-)

If I come across another IBM Model-M I'd like to create a standalone machine from that, too.

chrisa62401

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm sure I could stick one in my old Mac Plus

mikcatta

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:15 pm

I would like to use the R.Pi as a chance to learn more about the inner workings of the Linux kernel.

Any suggestions how/where to start?

The recording live vid to SD card would also be pretty kewl.

Bloodred

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:31 pm

This idea just dawned on me, I think a RasPi would be perfect for running Murmur (the Mumble server). I'll definitely install that so me and my friends have an always-on server so we can get rid of the much hated Skype.

Duke Of Earlsfield

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Definitely want to get one of these to use as a Squeezebox Server. Running the software on my main computer is a real pain as every time I start to do do something intensive on my computer, my music starts stuttering. Having a low powered, always on computer dedicated to the task would be amazing.

I might even think about getting a second one, adding wifi and some cheap speakers and make myself a cheap, diy portable Squeezebox radio.

batjac

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:33 am

I'd use it for a Brother-in-Law proof unit. He can break almost anything. Also, he's never graduated from school, and needs to get his G.E.D. to get into a Plummer's Apprentice program. I gave him a PC to study for his G.E.D., but it got pawned. Ditto for the laptop he was given. About the only thing he doesn't pawn are his Star Wars collectibles. So, I thought I'd get a Star Wars toy that opens up, maybe a Millenium Falcon like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Millen.....2eb77ecb79), and build a computer for him. I'd put a PSOne screen in the lid, and maybe some kind of small keyboard in the lower half if possible to make it a Star Wars laptop. Also, I'll look for keyboard and mouse with Star Wars theme so it can be used as a desktop with an external monitor. Put the R-Pi in the base with the power cord, USB, and monitor connections at the back. That I know he wouldn't pawn, and might finish his G.E.D.

As an aside, can someone tell me how to make a single work a hyperlink in a post instead of pasting in the whole URL?

singapura

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:35 am

Stick it into an arcade joystick and run Mame and Snes9x for retro gaming goodness.

HermanStehouwer

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:19 am

NAT/Masq. box (with a wifi-usb-thing).
Music-generation box.
Small box for fieldwork (especially for areas where power and network are in very short supply).

Return to “General discussion”