deepthought42

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:31 am

handheld 3d scanner. hook a gyro and accelerometer to the gpio pins for position and orientation data, add a camera, and put on a laser and diffraction grating to project dots. the camera will then find distances from the  position of said dots. download from the SD card later.

wiggy

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:51 pm

Could the resberry.pi devices be used as dumb computer terminals running virtually hosted machines on a server? (esxi 5),
Could save a company thousands in hardware and energy?

dh04000

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Going to teach my self networking, NAS, website hosting, ect. All of the non-user computer stuff that I've never had a platform to learn on before.

AmirS2

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:47 pm

wiggy said:

Could the resberry.pi devices be used as dumb computer terminals running virtually hosted machines on a server? (esxi 5),
Could save a company thousands in hardware and energy?

Hopefully ... that's my plan, using rdesktop to connect to VirtualBox

Turner95

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 pm

just a few things i would like to have,

1. Jarvis from ironman with face recognition software status updates etc

2. playing into previous; security cam system

3. deticated electrical weather monitering system eg, static electricity in the atmosphere, lightning activity in the area (even over the horizon) RF interference etc.

4. deticated mumble/murmur server for gaming

5. NAS/Backup server located at my house and parents set to sync

6. Tivo of sorts for TV

7. Smart car similiar to jarvis or maybe a extension there of

8. Smart boat, no jarvis just computerized with retractable seating etc. (purely fantasy ATM but still thinking about it)

9. Experimental box with producing the most minimal linux systems i can manage.

10.Ghost snort box for fun (invisible data logger for network traffic)

on a side note why not make one into a dead man switch? use one of these systems ghost snort and stash it in remote locations where it will have access to wifi, if you dont login at set intervals it wakes up and fires off a digital payload.

i probobly wont get to half of these but all are projects i can think of to try out

Piezo

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Using this as a media player with XBMC on it. Hoping that when Windows 8 comes out I can get Windows 8 ARM on this too.

abishur

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Piezo said:

Using this as a media player with XBMC on it. Hoping that when Windows 8 comes out I can get Windows 8 ARM on this too.

Nope, Windows 8 ARM will *never* run on the r-pi.  The bare minimum requirements for Windows 8 ARM involve at least 512 MB of ram and dual core processors.  So even if someone were to somehow overcome the fact that Windows 8 ARM isn't designed for the processor used by the R-pi, the hardware of the R-pi would 100% be unable to support it.  Sorry mate   For more information search the forums for windows 8, there's been a lot of talk about it.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Nestor

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:41 am

Hi, I am a reporter with ITBusiness.ca. We are publishing a series of articles on what can be done with the Raspberry Pi. Recently we posted this article about Leon Brown's jPlay online learning app for the Pi.

Do you have a Raspberry Pi-related project? Do you have some cool ideas on how the Pi can be used? Tell me about them. Email me at [email protected] or post it at https://www.facebook.com/itbusiness

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Nestor

abishur

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:35 am

Nestor this is the fourth time you've posted the same information.  If it weren't mostly relevant I'd delete it all and ban you as a spammer.  In the future please only post things like this once.

photogold

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:06 am

would you ever be able to run Photoshop Touch on an Android tablet with Rpi ?

garnet

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:46 am

Hi all

I'd like to invite you to the new RASPBERRY PI USES dedicated forum.

Lets lessen the load to this server, and you will have a bit more options there too.

All welcome to show off their Rpi uses

abishur

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Well, seeing as how the server load issues were solved I think the reigning issue is that you forgot a hyperlink.

jamodio

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:36 pm

When the first one arrives I'll put it on a marble pedestal under a bullet proof crystal cone, pressure and proximity sensors, and laser beams tied to the security system and a plaque with the legend "The Coolest and Cheapest ARM board that took forever to obtain"

I'll wait for the second one to do something serious ...

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:04 pm

jamodio said:

When the first one arrives I'll put it on a marble pedestal under a bullet proof crystal cone, pressure and proximity sensors, and laser beams tied to the security system and a plaque with the legend "The Coolest and Cheapest ARM board that took forever to obtain"

I'll wait for the second one to do something serious ...

jamodio I hope you're going to use it to run the security system ;p

If you add a gertboard, you could have machine gun turrets too.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jamodio

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:45 pm

alexeames said:

jamodio I hope you're going to use it to run the security system ;p

If you add a gertboard, you could have machine gun turrets too.

Not a bad idea, add gertboard for a ray gun controller.

Raspberry wino

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:46 pm

I'd like to use one to end my garden's use as the neighbourhood feline crap-zone.

It would have IR sensors to control LASER-turrets, which don't kill or injure the beast but just singe the fur, not with the three strokes of Zorro's Z but  a ?

(Re: gun turrets idea above)

Pygar

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:39 am

I intend to put mine in a clear 3x5" file card box, along with some goodies, in one of those laser-cut acrylic cases- assuming I can get one without the Raspi logo. The board already has one, and when I look at computer guts, that is what I want to see...

I am mainly hoping to use OpenELEC to help me dub off some old VHS's before they go bad forever. Some seem to have a white dust on the tape, when you look inside. Somewhere I have a precious tape of my family and dog... I am far too close to being the only one left, i can't let this tape die. I just wonder what I could use to cheaply (and well functionally) attach VHS to Raspi for the purpose. If OpenELEC can run a browser and/or VLC, hot diggetty! If the browser is Iron, or Iron Portable, so much the better. I thought firefox was a fast browser, I honestly did, till I switched to IronPortable this week.

If I can find a decent 6 inch screen, something that will fit nicely on top of the file box, so much the better- I can take it places, using the one-handed keyboard and mouse, both of which will fit in the filebox, I think, along with a powered/powering USB hub and a couple of 30-GB mini hard drives I have to do *something* with...
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Fighty kitty, bitey kitty!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"

robholfter

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:39 am

Well yes, i"ll probably have one running OpenELEC/Xmbc to run the kids movies through, but i"m also hoping that a few of them (5 from 3-12y/o) will have a go playing around with some of the software people will be developing!

I"m also interested in getting Gert"s board and playing around to develop a marine aquarium controller. We developed one a few years ago based on some software developed by an English guy Richard Crossland using a simple pic (16F873A) with the following features:
• Remote display screen with control buttons and function LED’s
• A simple two button control for the menu system and data entry
• A temperature range of 21.0°C to 29.9°C with a resolution and accuracy of 0.1°C
• Minimum and maximum temperature recorder, plus 14 day temperature data logger
• User definable temperature set points for heating and cooling
• User definable Alarm for over and under temperature
• Alarm output for use with telephone/SMS dialer (dialer not included)
• Two lighting channels, channel 1 with light off when over temperature alarm is activated
• Two timer channels with optional switch inputs for auto level, feed timer, etc.
• Two user definable cooling channels
• One heating channel
• 9 volt Battery backup, Screen still viewable with power outage

It ended up being sold as a kit through an "at cost" Group Buy on a Marine Aquarium Forum and quite a few are still in service! I think we made up about 80 kits - it was one of those projects that ate up huge amounts if time, but quite satisfying once all the kits were packed and sent off!
Being web-enabled would allow much easier remote monitoring of a Raspberry based controller!

pygmy_giant

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 pm

I would use the Pi as the brain for a robot buggy because it is small and light.
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

Nikkie

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:10 pm

I'm planning to use mine as an onboard car Raspi. If any of you guys see any problems with this rig, please do tell :>

Equipment

- Raspberry Pi model B

- 12v phone charger

- USB hub

- External HDD

- USB dashcam (probably some sort of webcam)

- Dongle with external antenna (range are limited on those things, especially inside a tin can)

- 12v - 230v inverter to supply the HDD and possibly the USB hub

- 12" tuchscreen (12 v) (I assume there will be problems with the tuch functions. Anyone know if any of the OP's could support that?)

Functions (im hoping there will be enough of power to suffice)

- Dashcam (constantly recording to the HDD) and possibly live stream

- Web browser (Maps/directions, enquiries to the swedish license plate online registry etc.)

Does this sound possible or will it need some mad coding skills etc?

I plan to place most stuff behind the dashboard and just place a powerswitch.

(I can do wiring in cars, i can follow online tutorials but my coding is sub par.)

Best Regards

Nik

yell

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:16 pm

^ dont use harddrives inside a car. Use flash media (USB Stick, SDCard, SSD)

fernan13malaga

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:35 am

Gwil said:

Quote from BobTheMailMan on August 31, 2011, 20:41
small cloud or cluster of these could also have a wide range of applications and each with a wifi networking adapter could enable some white-hat use.

Would a cloud/cluster of Raspberry Pi"s be called a Raspberry Ripple?

+1 adding an USB webcam !

Danbury Shakes

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:41 am

I've been thinking about what I want to do with my Raspi when it arrives.  After thinking of loads to do with it, I've come down to:

Idea 1 – Pi POD, personal MP3 audio plaver and Portable Media Player (for hotels etc)

-          Raspi & 32gb SD card, 2gb for system and the rest for files

-          Possible a 2.5”/1.8” usb hdd

-          LCD screen over UART or I2C

-          Push buttons connected to GPIO for control

-          Samba for audio/video  file  transfer

-          Lightweight web server for configuration

-          Batteries and battery controller/charger circuit

Idea 2 – Portable WiFi Access point, allowing multiple PC’s/laptops  to connect over a mobile broadband via WiFi or the Ethernet port – also share files over the local connection and the internet.

-          Raspi & 32gb SD card, 2gb for system and the rest for files

-          Possible a 2.5”/1.8” usb hdd

-          LCD screen over UART or I2C

-          Push buttons connected to GPIO for control

-          Samba for file  sharing

-          Lightweight web server

-          Batteries and battery controller/charger circuit

-          Lightweight FTP server

-          DDCHP to enable connection via the web

-          USB Wifi card capable of running as an access point

-          USB Mobile Broadband card

In fact looking at them now I’ve gone through the parts list the Pi Pod  is a sub system of the Access Point.  Maybe I should add Icecast to that list

Still have to sort out the apps I'm going to use.

mintylambburger

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:38 am

I want to run my weather station under the Raspberry Pi and link the data I gather to worldwide weather sites.

fatalpi

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:23 am

nobbit wrote:In that case two external USB drives will do the trick :) One with primary storage, then a cronjob that synchronizes to the other one every now and again. (I know, I know, RAID is the way to go. But this would be cheap, simple and work fairly well in any case)
Considering the cost, you could just get a second Pi and have it in a different physical location (hidden in the loft, etc) and sync it like that.

Return to “General discussion”