SoloDev

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:23 am

My usage for it is that i have a TON of movies in XviD/mp3 in a .mkv formatted file. Many relatives want to watch these movies (all legal i might add) and it gets very, very expensive having to burn the files to a DVD, and the time i waste on converting from .mkv to DVD is horrendous, even with a Quad core PC.

So I figure get a Raspi, use a Linux OS (Huge Fedora fan, most likely my OS of choice), write an auto-detecting script that if any flash drive with a movie file is inserted, it start up MPlayer or XBMC or even VideoLAN, and starts playing the movie.

So pretty much, if i can get this idea working correctly, I will buy several of them, outfit it with the needed software, and they should be Christmas / Birthday gifts!

PotatoHandle

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:24 am

I'm hoping the Raspberry Pi will save me a mint in electricity, by performing all of the "always on" functions of my laptop. Including IRC, sharing of USB devices such as external HDDs, queueing/scheduling downloads, maybe running some basic servers, and running network diagnostics. Haven't done much research yet on how much of this stuff is possible with an ARM processor using existing binaries, but if I can keep my laptop purely for gaming and travel, then I'll be a very happy man.

If I can find a way to get it to output to VGA, then it (Or maybe a second one) is also likely to be come a media center device as well.

I have a bunch of other ideas as well but I'm limiting myself to one or two first to check it out first before I go too mad on the idea, haha.

serge

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 am

- low power, ultra mobile sun powered device
- portable web server
- synchronisation server between multiple ftp
- surveillance device
- programation tool

NRoach44

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:44 am

I would use one for a general purpose file server (literally drop in/drop out) as a replacement for me lugging my hard drive everywhere. I also plan to do some C++ programming on it, as it will be on a separate input to my monitor. If I could grab a second one I would use that for me to play around with making a custom tablet/carputer/somethingniftylikethat.

Asmodeus

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:42 am

Star Trek the Original Series Tricorder (science)
=^=

PeteT

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Sounds basic but as a low effort keyboard pc to use with TV to stop doing my OU degree on a 10" netbook! Later add battery power and a media player with composite in for small mobile system for Alphasmart ish device. (Though might need to type in some ridiculous font size to be comfortable!) Eventually might buy another one to learn to program with my sons they are a little young at mo.

abishur

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Quote from PotatoHandle on November 16, 2011, 04:24
If I can find a way to get it to output to VGA, then it (Or maybe a second one) is also likely to be come a media center device as well.

At the moment the only way to output it to VGA is to either buy an active HDMI -> VGA converter (a passive cable will *not* work!)

Or

Buy an active RCA->VGA converter (a passive cable will *not* work!)

The pro's/con's

If you go with the HDMI->VGA then you'll get a very nice picture. It obviously won't be HDMI but it will be HQ (assuming you buy a half way decent converter), the downside is you'll probably end up spending a pretty penny to get it!

Conversely, the RCA->VGA will be a good deal cheaper (I've seen them for around 25 USD), but you'll be limited to RCA quality (800x600).
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

PotatoHandle

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Quote from abishur on November 16, 2011, 20:29
Quote from PotatoHandle on November 16, 2011, 04:24

At the moment the only way to output it to VGA is to either buy an active HDMI -> VGA converter (a passive cable will *not* work!)

Or

Buy an active RCA->VGA converter (a passive cable will *not* work!)

The pro's/con's

If you go with the HDMI->VGA then you'll get a very nice picture. It obviously won't be HDMI but it will be HQ (assuming you buy a half way decent converter), the downside is you'll probably end up spending a pretty penny to get it!

Conversely, the RCA->VGA will be a good deal cheaper (I've seen them for around 25 USD), but you'll be limited to RCA quality (800x600).Thanks for that! Very nice information. My cousin has a HDMI-VGA cable that I'm going to try, but I think you're right, it'll just be a regular non-active one and won't work, but I may as well see what happens. I'm not too keen on spending a huge amount of money on these little projects; besides, if the converter costs me $50, then I could buy another two r-pis instead, haha.

Aside from that, I'll play it by ear once I have my hands on one; might find that some clever person comes up with a cheaper alternative once it has been officially released too, if I'm lucky.

kkolev

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:18 pm

PotatoHandle, I assume your display device of choice doesn't have DVI? Personally I just bought a cheap'n'crappy HDMI->DVI-D adapter (sub $5, IIRC), which I'll be using on an equally crappy 15 EUR monitor if I manage to get my hands on a raspi.

dclaar

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:42 pm

Take most any hobbyist project: things in magazines like Elector or Nuts & Volts. Why wouldn't you do it on the pi?

There's a web service here where people stream local public safety channels from their scanners to the web so that people without scanners can listen to them. One way be a provider is to run a program on your pc, which then needs to be up 24/7/365. What a waste of resources! I thought about going the microcontroller route, but I'd need to pick out a microcontroller: one with enough power to run a rudimentary networking stack, so it might not be through-hole. Lay out a board & have it made. Start hacking on the microcontroller manufacturer's sample network stack to make it actually work. Then write interrupt code, etc in c, or maybe assembler so that it all fits into the limited program space available on the chip, plus code up the streaming protocol, plus make sure that I seamlessly transfer the audio input to the networking code. (shudder) I can assure you that just the hardware will cost more then $35, not to mention the time that would take!

...Or I can use the pi, use the linux-based tool that already exists, and be up in a couple of hours, rather than...never! Maybe for a hardware guy, all the above rates as fun, but for me, the pi will let me focus on the end goal, not all the fiddly stuff required even before I can start; things that I don't care about.

PotatoHandle

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Quote from kkolev on November 16, 2011, 23:18
PotatoHandle, I assume your display device of choice doesn't have DVI? Personally I just bought a cheap'n'crappy HDMI->DVI-D adapter (sub $5, IIRC), which I'll be using on an equally crappy 15 EUR monitor if I manage to get my hands on a raspi.I've actually just recently had a house built, so I've done some of my own cabling, and I have VGA points on several of the walls, with all the cabling going back to a single point in the garage.

I chose VGA because it's generally more versatile, easier to find splitters and KVMs for, etc, etc. (The idea is that I run multiple devices into a KVM, then the output of the KVM into a VGA/audio splitter, so I can get any device from any screen in the house.) So I'm unfortunately stuck with VGA, if I want the r-pi to go through the same system as all of my other equipment.

The monitors I've bought do have DVI though, so the backup solution is to have two devices for the two rooms I'll be likely to watch movies in. However, if I can get it outputting VGA, then I'll also be able to use the device for basic websurfing in the other rooms, which would cut yet more laptop dependencies out of the picture.

Random fact for those interested; I worked out the 24h/d, 365d/y yearly running cost of the two. The r-pi (At 1W, which it should actually be less than) at the current electricity rate will cost me $1.88AU/yr, whereas the laptop at 120W is currently setting me back $225AU/yr. That obviously doesn't take into account the lack of a screen on the r-pi though, but I can still turn that off while the device is running, haha.

abishur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 am

I wonder if you could use a passive HDMI -> VGA cable, go over the VGA, then use a passive VGA->HDMI cable to hook it back up to HDMI. I mean obviously they'd have to do the same pin movements, but could HDMI go that far?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

wrn55

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:18 am

I agree with the comment on “Nuts&Volts” projects! As a long time avid reader and project enthusiast, I can think of several past projects that this board would have provided dramatically simpler solutions.
As for larger projects I am anxious to get my hands on several boards to supplement and replace existing hardware in a semi-mesh network. A small group of us have been developing this network of devices (primarily old laptops), using under utilized residential broadband connections throughout the states. Pricing of this board would certainly allow us to eventually expand to hundreds of devices and provide distributed processing far beyond our current capabilities

PotatoHandle

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:44 am

Quote from abishur on November 17, 2011, 00:05
I wonder if you could use a passive HDMI -> VGA cable, go over the VGA, then use a passive VGA->HDMI cable to hook it back up to HDMI. I mean obviously they'd have to do the same pin movements, but could HDMI go that far?Now there's something I hadn't thought of, no idea if that would work, the longest cable is 20m, most are 15m though. Food for thought, I'll keep it in mind!

My first concern will be to get it to do all the basic stuff that I need anyways; hell I haven't even chosen an OS yet, haha. Should prolly get to work on that...

Thanks for taking an interest, got some good info to work with!

lalexe

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:25 pm

Such device should be used by a children. This is the outstanding part and idea of this project. And I would extend the usage, but keep it for the benefits of children. For instance, I would include the children who are addicted to computer gaming (a new kind of "drug" , sometimes very damaging) and I would try to deviate their attention in the direction of a programming language.
Could be found many applications and usages for these computers, but the nicest would be if they will really get in the hands of children. Just an opinion...

dh04000

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:29 am

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/201.....installer/

A private radio station to play my favorite tunes.

ffuentes

Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:08 am

Quote from dh04000 on November 18, 2011, 02:29
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/201.....installer/

A private radio station to play my favorite tunes.

I would prefer to not using a graphical interface to that, specially if you want your radio being listened on the Internet and for other people. It's RAM wasted.

Airtime is radio software for GNU/Linux platforms, but once installed can be controlled from anywhere using a modern browser. We recommend installing on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS or Debian Squeeze on a computer with at least a 1 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM for a Server Edition OS or 1GB of RAM for a Desktop Edition OS.?

http://www.sourcefabric.org/en...../download/

txnghia

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:45 pm

I plan to use it as Vietnamese spelling machine for kids living aboard. This machine would integrate video monitor, audio amplifier/speaker, and a Vietnamese custom keyboard in one unit.

jzu

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:27 pm

My home computer is currently always on because I use it to read my mail with mutt (ncurses MUA... yes, I'm an old fart) and sometimes transfer files. A Raspberry Pi could easily replace this power-hungry monster in this context. Plus, I could set up the WoL feature and send a magic packet to boot it from the RPi should the need arise.

ga5p0d3

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Minecraft Appliance! A little black box you hang off your network to host a minecraft world. :OD

siaho

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:55 pm

i don't know if this would work or not. i'm new at linux (as in, at this very moment in my life i've usded it for about 43 minutes, total)
one thing i'd like to try, if it would work, however.... is installing DOS on it.
could i? would it work?
if so i would a a $35 computer for all my dos-gaming needs, or at least just to show it would work.

ah, a question: with the multiple usb ports on the $35 board, could i plug a usb drive into one and run an operating system off of that, or should i use an SD card?
i have a 16 gig usb drive i'm not using, and i don't own any SD cards, so, well, hopefully my reason for asking is obvious

Adeptium

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:04 am

@siaho: MS-DOS won't work, for two simple reasons - it's not an x86 processor, and it's not PC architecture! However, you might want to take a look at FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org/) if you decide to run DOS on some kind of low-energy PC.
That said, it might be possible to use something like QEMU (on Linux on a RasPi) to attempt to simulate a PC, and run FreeDOS on top, and your DOS games on top of that. I'm not convinced the RasPi's got the horsepower, but the original PC was 4.77 MHz - I guess it really depends _which_ PC you need to emulate!

radu

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:09 am

DOS should work just fine, with DosBOX. However, the games will be pretty slow, you will get probably the equivalent of a 386SX @10MHZ or so. At least this is what I get on my N900 phone @850 MHZ.

radu

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:18 am

ah, a question: with the multiple usb ports on the $35 board, could i plug a usb drive into one and run an operating system off of that, or should i use an SD card?
i have a 16 gig usb drive i'm not using, and i don't own any SD cards, so, well, hopefully my reason for asking is obvious

No, the OS MUST be on the SD card, it is loaded via some strange hack by the GPU, so you will need a small SD card to boot, although I guess you could do the actual booting from USB so long as you have the right boot loader on the SD card.

siaho

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:22 am

yeah, i knew emulation would be slow, that's why i was hoping to run actual dos.
i'll be honest. i've had computers around my since i was 7, but in over two decades i've learned sadly little in both software and hardware.

people always tell me i'm good with computers and that i should look for a career there, and all i can do is laugh. i'm good enough to know just how much i have no clue about. like processor types. i've read about the x86 series a dozen times and still come away drawing a black.

oh well. i still plan to get a raspberryPi, i think i'll end up mostly following step-by-step things that other people did with theirs as opposed to trying to much tinkering myself

Return to “General discussion”