Montekuri

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:30 am

I would create a car "black box", a device to record everything what happens inside and outside a car.
With a fisheye camera outside and other inside the car. Maybe with a breathalyzer just in front of the driver.

st599

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:00 pm

1 to replace my 10W Viglen server that organises my (low use) VPNs, IRC server, NFS server and LAMP server. It also runs a few programmes on Cron (Including some Java code - I know, shoot me now)

2nd, I'm interested in using one in some boating environs. I'd quite like to see if I could run some navigation software, a GRIB viewer, maybe a Navtex/Weather Fax decoder software and a basic email client and internet browser. Probably:

http://opencpn.org/drupal/
http://www.zygrib.org/index.ph.....bstract_en
http://hamfax.sourceforge.net/
http://links.twibright.com/features.php

Blub

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:46 am

- Fileserver
- Media server
- Box to log in from over the net from the outside to maybe wakeonlan the PC if needed. (Leaving the PC running requires much more power etc., also, with this box I might not even need to wake it up so often)
- To play around with it and maybe port one or two games ;)
- Webserver ... maybe

And maybe a 2nd one I put into the multitouch table I'm building (FTIR)... then I don't need to have it stand next to the PC :) (I hope it's fast enough ;))

Jessie

Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:21 pm

I would like to come up with a stripped (maybe embeded os) and a set of APIs to make a nice little retro console project that is easy to program for. I was also thinking, of a cool touch screen tablet idea ( but that would all depend on the cost of touch screens) at 2W it may be doable? How about a DIY high res digital photo frame that streams off of network drives.

Programible guitar effects and tuner box?
Personal gaming assistant? Kind of like the Logitech keyboards that have thier own screens, but instead the Pi could be used to offload ventrillio to, and display game stats fed by a usb port from a host computer.

R-Pi super cluster? Network a bunch togather with a switch and feed them data from a host server, ala distributed computing.

Questionable uses? Key logger. Car tracker (with a GPS module.) Network packet inspector. Spy Cam.

Digital Clothing?

Talking asistant for the blind?

HgR

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 am

I'd like to be able to see whether it could have applications for financial services / data management. Simple work at first really e.g. analysis like ACL, XBRL. Then expanding to use of the cloud for financial management, and/or use of basic accounting software. I'd be very interested to see what the cheapest setup could be for financial management... in particular for small businesses.

chrisjamesmcd

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:31 am

I'm going to gut an old snes game cartridge. Slap the R-Pi in there. Run cabling for all the ins and outs through the cartridge slot in the top of the snes console and have them accessable out the back of the snes body. Then hook up the controller ports to usb so i can use the snes controllers for playing emulators and such.

Best emulator set up to ever exist.

Mario allstars in full hd.

Arbelzapf

Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:03 pm

My monitor's backlight is dying so I'm thinking about turning the LCD screen into an interactive wall-mounted mood lamp using an R-Pi and some LEDs. I have no idea if it's feasible, but it's worth trying before I throw it away.

If it works out, it would be great to use with an image slideshow of colour gradients or some colourful looping videos. And it would be configurable via Wifi

SlayingDragons

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:51 pm

As a slightly more boring use, I'm going to use a model A raspi to make a new alarm clock. My current one is horribly bland, with the typical LED numbers and such. I want to take a small 4.3 composite-in LCD and raspi together to make a super alarm clock for about $50. It'll be a clock in pygame or pyglet, with some cool physics using pymunk maybe, and can be interacted with in real time. Then I'll have it so it'll display the weather, the position of the moon, some constallations, how charged my laptop, phone, ipod, etc are, what song is playing, a little fact for the day, a little brain challange to wake me up, some suggestions on how to make my coffee, play games, change color and brightness depending on time and date, and all kinds of stuff.

I may also use a model A to automate my coffee pot so that it'll automatically start to make a pot of coffee when my alarm goes off or when I send it a specific message, and maybe have it send instructions to an arduino to make my coffee based on the recommendation for the day. The possibilities are endless! :D

chip273

Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 pm

After reading the first 15 pages or so I must say that for most of the projects offered, a R-Pi makes not that much of a sense.

For any kind of "clustering project" I think that the R-Pi is totally under powered. A regular (new) PC will be much faster than maybe 10 R-Pi's connected together. Maybe also it will be cheaper than those R-Pi's.

For any kind of "Hardware control via Network" type of project the R-Pi seems endlessly over powered. Like for controlling your "coffee machine" is absolutely nonsense to use a R-Pi. Use a Beckchip intead, they have ethernet on board and meanwhile only cost around 5 Euros and have a 186 CPU with DOS on them. For having one command every 10 minutes this is definitvely enough.

Where are the really good Gaming and Multimedia Projects ?
(NAS is also boring, most routers nowadays already have a USB port for NAS purposes. And you cannot skip using a router, since almost allways the modem is buildt into it.)

I am thinking of the R-Pi rather as a regular "general purpose" PC. I will use it as exactly that: a PC for anything.

Moor

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:16 pm

I think what's happening most with the under-powered-for-a-cluster and over-powered-for-a-controller-thingee, is that it'll be used for both.

I think a lot of what's going to happen, is that people are going to use it for a cluster -- that when they get bored with that can be deconstructed to four controllers, a cheap carry-around computer, and a dedicated classic games emulator duct-taped to the TV. The cool thing about R-Pis isn't as much any one thing they can be used for so much as all of the things they can be used for.

A whole Swiss Army Knife of a computer, with infinitely more variety.

Arbelzapf

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:35 pm

It would be fun to see if a R-Pi could be queezed into a GBA SP. Regular GBA would probably be easier, but it wouldn't have the subtle message because of the clamshell form factor

abishur

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:05 am

Quote from chip273 on November 6, 2011, 20:47
After reading the first 15 pages or so I must say that for most of the projects offered, a R-Pi makes not that much of a sense.

For any kind of "clustering project" I think that the R-Pi is totally under powered. A regular (new) PC will be much faster than maybe 10 R-Pi's connected together. Maybe also it will be cheaper than those R-Pi's.

For any kind of "Hardware control via Network" type of project the R-Pi seems endlessly over powered. Like for controlling your "coffee machine" is absolutely nonsense to use a R-Pi. Use a Beckchip intead, they have ethernet on board and meanwhile only cost around 5 Euros and have a 186 CPU with DOS on them. For having one command every 10 minutes this is definitvely enough.

(NAS is also boring, most routers nowadays already have a USB port for NAS purposes. And you cannot skip using a router, since almost allways the modem is buildt into it.)

I am thinking of the R-Pi rather as a regular "general purpose" PC. I will use it as exactly that: a PC for anything.

Well, while I might argue that the point of clustering is like any task performed by two or more people working together is that the performance gained is not a linear progression (i.e. if I can do one unit of work, the performance gained is not x*1, where x = the number of people working on the task), I do also agree that clustering with an ARM system probably wouldn't be the best use as you'd still need a master PC to manage the cluster. ;)

There's actually quite a few multimedia project ideas stretching from the basic media center PC, to a bare bone distro designed just to load various emulators. Some people have even talked about trying to get an emulator for sharing home made games (kinda like RPG maker?)

As for everything else, well I certain agree that it's a little overkill compared to an atmega chip or pix, it does have a distinct advantage in that it's a true, full OS and therefore allows for a more varied programming environment and with a $25 price tag, it's price is on par with the arduino.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

psergiu

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:49 pm

I will use mine as an arduino replacement. A really powerful Arduino :) For starters.

Quote from chip273 on November 6, 2011, 20:47
Use a Beckchip intead, they have ethernet on board and meanwhile only cost around 5 Euros and have a 186 CPU with DOS on them.
Care to give us a link from where we can buy this magical 5 € PC ? The evaluation board on their site is 499 €

BlackAdder

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:27 am

I have another use for RasPi: Robotic Telescope/Camera Controller. Robotic telescopes often have cable management issues when slewing the telescope over its entire range of motion. By controlling the focuser, filter wheel, and camera(s) using the RasPi that travels on the telescope and communicates wirelessly with the observatory controller, all cables except for power can be eliminated greatly reducing the cable management problem,

Cheyd

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:13 am

I really like the old gaming idea. I'm thinking a Mame box taped to the back of a digital photo frame or portable DVD player and Boom, instant Phantasy Star until my wife threatens to stop cooking again!

The other Idea I have is to rig it to an old LCD monitor and set it up as a household message board. The PI and monitor with wireless networking attached to the fridge so that everyone can email their shopping needs, going out plans, etc...

ObsidianEagle

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:10 am

Quote from Cheyd on November 8, 2011, 07:13
The other Idea I have is to rig it to an old LCD monitor and set it up as a household message board. The PI and monitor with wireless networking attached to the fridge so that everyone can email their shopping needs, going out plans, etc...

i really like that idea, very smart.

mine will be more basic: LAN gaming parties, use it if I need to have a powerpoint presentation, stuff like that.

kelytha

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:20 am

I also have many "boring" ideas, like using a Raspberry as a home server...

And one that could be more interesting, if I succeed: I'm going to try to use it as a replacement for the mainboard in my dead Amiga 1200. Hopefully it will run PUAE fast enough :) or JUAE should I choose to walk the Linux hosted AROS way of things.

przybysh

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 am

I would like to use it in home automation/ intelligent house applications.

TinWhisker

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Quote from abishur on November 7, 2011, 02:05
I do also agree that clustering with an ARM system probably wouldn't be the best use as you'd still need a master PC to manage the cluster. ;)

Well, by that, clustering *anything* would need a master PC.

But on the third side of the coin, it really depends on what your doing when clustering.

Admittedly - I don't know any cluster methods - only 'invented wheel' as I built our system to suit the job required. Although it took orders from a central point (started in test mode, but left as such for other reasons), it was actually designed to generate jobs between themselves, quick round-robin of jobs done so each sys could pick its own. It scaled easy as a new system would simply interrogate everyone else for job-types to cache locally - one time - updates broadcast, etc.
Done for, as mentioned scalability, but also durability - removing that 'point of failure' as prior to that, a fault would cost thousands per hour (and I like my sleep/weekends/holidays free of disturbance)

For a 'multi-core' style system, obviously it would work differently.
You could round-robin the server selection - or leave overhead for a busy Pi to point you to a free one.

Anyone wanting to cluster Pi's - what did you have in mind? (why? how?)

noeska

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:05 pm

I think it could make a nice apple tv like device, but then almost all opensource. My secret wish for a device like this is to turn it into a gaming console with 3d opengles graphics. With this one it wont be expansive any more like with the beagleboard.

Nightsurfer

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:25 am

An almost totally silent hardware firewall system springs to mind. My software of choice would be "Smoothwall", a Linux based firewall solution which I currently run on an old 586.

shaurz

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:22 pm

bircoe, I also though about using the RPi for arcade emulation. For the joystick and buttons you could gut a cheap USB control pad and solder the wires on to the board. Or maybe you could connect them to the GPIO, but that would require writing a driver for MAME.

abishur

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Quote from TinWhisker on November 13, 2011, 20:51
Quote from abishur on November 7, 2011, 02:05
I do also agree that clustering with an ARM system probably wouldn't be the best use as you'd still need a master PC to manage the cluster. ;)

Well, by that, clustering *anything* would need a master PC.

Yes, but the point was that by the time you had a cluster of pis working more efficiently than a desktop PC, you had just about purchased a desktop PC. So I was saying "yeah, and even then you'd still have to buy the desktop PC to control the whole thing (I doubt that an r-pi would have the muscle to be a cluster master)." Which means you'd be spending the money twice over so if you wanted a modern level muscle PC you'd be better off just buying or building a modern muscle PC over trying to cluster a bunch of r-pis together :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Dapman02

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:48 pm

I plan on buying a few of them eventually
the firstone will be for tinkering and some developing, but after that i would like to use one for a file server, web server, and a bunch of other things
I'm excited

Dapman02

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:48 pm

I plan on buying a few of them eventually
the firstone will be for tinkering and some developing, but after that i would like to use one for a file server, web server, and a bunch of other things
I'm excited

Return to “General discussion”