Scribe

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:18 pm

projects that require some real application processing that are just too big for 8-bit and low-level programming.

Nick Scott

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:28 am

Things that I am going to be using a Raspberry Pi for.
1: Backup servers (cygwin, backing up every day, to a sleepout at the back of the section, that way its at least semi offsite in worst case scenarios). 1 Backing up my file server, and one at my parents backing up their machines.
2: Router, (adding a USB network card).
3: Asterisk server (not for me, my main server does that, but for a charity organisation that I am the defacto IT guy for).
4: MPD server.

And I'm sure I'll be finding other uses for them, that is without trying.

Bacan

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:52 am

Quote from Scribe on October 7, 2011, 22:18
projects that require some real application processing that are just too big for 8-bit and low-level programming.

You'll never know until you go and do it. Speaking as one who has had to do it with just 8 bit uP and low-level coding.

barnaby

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:33 am

The power supply requirements is the killer feature for me… I'll be using the raspi to add networking capabilities to mobile robots.

Amongst other things :) I was also thinking of making a really cheap iPad voltmeter / oscilloscope / logic analyser with one.

DSP? musical instrument effects multi pedal? I already have one, but it would be pretty cool to make/write my own.

Caveman

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:48 am

I will conect it to my 15 inch television and use it like htpc to watch iptv.

JoeStrout

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:37 pm

I want to use it to control robots, especially humanoid robots like these.

The only hitch is the control link... most humanoid robotics builders (in the U.S. at least) use a PS3 controller, connecting over Bluetooth to a Gumstix board on the bot. I'd rather use Raspberry Pi than Gumstix, but I guess I'll need to use a USB BT dongle, and something like this procedure to set it up. Still, once the kinks are worked out, it should be really sweet!

RichC

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:26 pm

I'd like to connect a USB webcam and continue a project I started a few years ago: a robot submarine.

The plan is I'd have a swarm of micro subs on a coral reef in Fiji, and people/students in the UK could log in and use the subs to cruise the coral or operate science packages.

ssk

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:03 am

Since it uses just 1W, I would:
- set up a Tor node
- troll neighbours with Upside-Down-Ternet
- connect it to an LCD monitor and run a cool looking RSS ticker and info-screen
- HTPC
- WiFi print server

WASD

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 pm

Quote from ssk on October 11, 2011, 03:03
- connect it to an LCD monitor and run a cool looking RSS ticker and info-screen

That would be cool :) I'm not intending to install X on mine, just SSH into it. But with your idea I may install X with some basic WM just to run something cool info-screen like that :)

Rasz

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:16 am

Every hack I made with $40 Wifi+usb openwrt routers before (TL-MR3220):
ip camera
nas (for my xbox)
home automation (turning off TV at night, I kept forgetting and it was on all night)
internet radio/mp3 player/alarm clock
PVR (I have lovely Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB 2.0 that streams MPEG2 over USB so even my weak router can record SDTV)

Additionally Im going to replace my old Xbox 1 with one of those (even if XBMC doesnt run out of the box, ill be ok with Midnight Commander as my interface :P).

Im gonna experiment with MIPI interfaces. Maybe try to build 720p Camcorder using Cellphone camera module (if hardware encoders are exposed).
Ill definitely try finding cheap cellphone mipi LCD that can be attached to it, preferably with touchscreen.

At this price point this board beats all the 8/32bit AVR/ARM dev boards. I can picture myself putting it everywhere where I need automation.
USB video grabbers are ~$8, Ethernet enabled video door intercom at $40 here we come.

Josh

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:11 am

I've already figured out exactly...
I'm going to stick a USB Projector into it, power it up with some batteries and bombs away...
My own little Portable Projector PC... thing.
:D

RobH

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:59 pm

I've put this in the case forum as well, but would definitely make a good Tivo or Apple TV replacement (with the right hardware/software)

malcolmstar

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Initially I would use it as an 'always on' bash terminal and continue my learning in shell scripting. Really I just want to play with one. To find my own limits.

Burngate

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:15 pm

dh04000

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:03 am

I want to make my own private "dropbox" account. I would like to set up the RbPi with ubuntu server edition or a lighter GUI linux, and either sparkleshare (http://sparkleshare.org) or owncloud (http://owncloud.org/) once they add the sync client they have on their ToDo list. I pray that their software works on ARM chips. I imagine a compile is needed, which I've never done..... I'm very much a user, and not a programmer, so here's hoping I can get this set up on my own. :) Also, I'd love if someone doing a similar thing would write a guide for either pieces of software. That way I could just copy and paste terminal commands! :)

Oren

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:23 am

That's a very good idea, dh04000, and I'm sure you'll be able to find help with compilations if needed. I've compiled a kernel before (and Geany, too, actually) but I can't honestly say I understood what was going on. But, hey, they worked :)

nullstring

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Basically everything you might use a beagleboard for.. Cept at $25 apop, you can afford to make alot of the sillier ideas come true!

ffuentes

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:51 pm

I will use it to teach my father how to use a computer and probably as a Smart Tv device too.

jewesque

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Carputer/CarPC, hands down. A small touch screen for the dash, yeah, that wins. I might even be tempted to put one in the headrests with a screen, thus creating in car entertainment systems.

I'll also be searching this thread for many more ideas. Just like pistachios and potato chips, you can't have just one. :D

bakoolguy2

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Here's the uses on the top of my head.

1. As a computer that the poor in my neighborhood could afford. (standard web-browsing machine)
2. A home security webcam server
3. Quadrotor controller board
4. Industrial manufacturing controller

The uses are endless. I'm glad this product will exist.

nobbit

Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 am

I'm thinking about using it as a server to host an irc screen to begin with. I might connect a couple of harddrives to it (usb) and use it as a dropbox server.

I had a discussion with a friend last night about off site backup. If the Rpi can handle it I might encrypt one of the drives and let him use it as his off site backup (and in exchange I would get an encrypted drive at his place). Does anyone know how demanding truecrypt or similar is?

adric22

Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:29 pm

I'd like to try using one as my main computer. Add a nice USB Hub, keyboard and mouse, internet connection via ethernet, and there you have it. It would be an interesting challenge.

I'd also like to try putting one inside of a Commodore 64.

Yolgie

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 am

TOR Server/Proxy maybe even run some Hidden Services

packetship

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:25 am

Commercial and educational use as a low-volume (100's-1000's off) IPTV/VOD set-top box. Also as a consumer TV-based Web/video device for digital excluded households.

The key for this is going to be some easy way of driving it with an IR remote - HDMI CEC for full TV integration and/or a simple RC5 IR diode interface on a 0.1" header and lirc.

MorgUK

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:44 am

Justin.Tv uploader :)

Return to “General discussion”