liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:16 am

Quote from batjac on August 31, 2011, 02:33

As an aside, can someone tell me how to make a single work a hyperlink in a post instead of pasting in the whole URL?

You'll need to replace my angled brackets with square brackets. To make a hyperlink work:

<url=http://www.raspberrypi.org>Raspberry Pi</url>

Good luck with the brother-in-law! You sound like a saint.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

hsalonen

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:19 am

1) I would write my own tiling low memory footprint window manager.

2) I would write some OpenGL ES 2.0 games (once I find a suitable controller).

I was also interrested in emulating old DOS, 286-processor, VGA, etc., but my friend talked me out of it. The tricky part is not the processor or DOS interrupts, but the sound card, DMA, timed interrupts, hooks - the underlying stuff OS does and doesn't worry you about.

Been coding with C/C++ from 1997 to 2004, but kinda out of touch these days. Nice way to refresh my skills.

hsalonen

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:22 am

.. and I could revive my old script that basicly:

1) Takes a shot with webcam every minute.
2) Compares the shot with previous one.
3) If there is a difference, someone has entered the room
4) Use espeak to generate greeting.

So, does UVC work?

hoshi

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am

you should make a special game emulator version as in already with pretested working nes, gba, gbc, n64, ps2, etc... also you should make an interface for controllers maybe even as a low cost mobile world of warcraft computer id love it
it would be a hit with alot of gamers
other than that i would say you guys should just make it into a mobile computer kinda like a DSI with a full keyboard and a trackpad (like the motorola backfilp has where your finger would be either on the left or right side,

jdaragon

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm currently a contractor at a company that's just spent several hundred thousand pounds on a global video conferencing system. RPi will be able to decode 1080p30 H.264 - I'd like to be able to encode video similarly. Is that likely to be do-able? A couple of these could make a very inexpensive video conferencing terminal with all that camera-steering wizardry that people have come to expect...

jd

pgrassia

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm

should compatible IO pins be exposed, a Raspi-daughter card that can accept arduino shields would open a whole new territory in hobbyist robotics and home automation.
This goes quite far away from the initial design goal though.

Svartalf

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Quote from pgrassia on August 31, 2011, 17:32
should compatible IO pins be exposed, a Raspi-daughter card that can accept arduino shields would open a whole new territory in hobbyist robotics and home automation.

While not along those lines (yet), we've been thinking about what to do with the GPIO's and the I2C bus that's available to the R-Pi in the Projects/Collab section.

This goes quite far away from the initial design goal though.

Does it? That sort of stuff is an aspect of computer science as well... ;)

BobTheMailMan

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:41 pm

portable diagnostics computer for cars/pcs/networks

small cloud or cluster of these could also have a wide range of applications and each with a wifi networking adapter could enable some white-hat use.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:56 pm

Quote from BobTheMailMan on August 31, 2011, 20:41
portable diagnostics computer for cars/pcs/networks

small cloud or cluster of these could also have a wide range of applications and each with a wifi networking adapter could enable some white-hat use.

I was thinking of the car diagnostic side of things only today. I have a USB to ODBCII here already - might try it when I get the chance, although there isnt much Linux software to drive it - I had to run the Gendan software under Wine on an Ubuntu laptop, which won't work on a Raspi.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

garryg

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 pm

Should work well for emulating older home-micros and consoles.
Could get the kids interested in laughing at the old games, then interested in the programming side… just like much of us older generation did!

garryg

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:17 pm

Or on the more geek-ish side, how about a person monitor!
It’s small enough to fit on an arm/wrist strap and should be easy enough to hook up with pulse/heart/temperature monitors etc… and the software wouldn’t be rocket-science!

GeoAir.pt

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:16 am

I would like to try to use it as my personal weather server, for logging, storing and sending the weather data from my Davis vantage Pro2 instead of using my desktop pc:)

jamesh

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:22 am

Quote from GeoAir.pt on September 1, 2011, 09:16
I would like to try to use it as my personal weather server, for logging, storing and sending the weather data from my Davis vantage Pro2 instead of using my desktop pc:)

Great idea. You could run it off solar panels too...and with a USB Wifi you could download data from it to desktop PC whenever you wanted it.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

GeoAir.pt

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:14 am

Quote from jamesh on September 1, 2011, 09:22
Quote from GeoAir.pt on September 1, 2011, 09:16

Great idea. You could run it off solar panels too...and with a USB Wifi you could download data from it to desktop PC whenever you wanted it.
The 'issues' I see at this moment are
Davis software Weatherlink currently only windows
Other 'weather server' software like
cumulus
FreeWX
Virtual Weather Station
Only run on windows paltforms
Other like
Weather Display
meteohub,
wview
have linux versions so I guess it would be easier to build a version to run on Raspberry pi.
Cheers!

Gwil

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 am

Quote from BobTheMailMan on August 31, 2011, 20:41

Would a cloud/cluster of Raspberry Pi's be called a Raspberry Ripple?

garryg

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:29 pm

I’ve just had a (very geekie) idea.
I can put one of these inside a Dreamcast and connect it up via an appropriate cable to combine my current DC/PC Linux/Programming setup all under the hood of the good old Dreamcast. Yay!

I want one… In fact I think I want at least three!

Shane Hudson

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Connect a wifi adapter and webcam... connect it to a toy drone. A flying webcam with a lot more control than a normal one!

philipm

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:00 am

I'm looking at using these as a cheap way of getting poor rural communities into serious computing.
step 1: a room with screens, mouse, keyboard that they can plug one into

step 2: source screens etc. that they can take home
Part of the project is to do this with minimal power draw so we can do this in rural areas off the grid. Earlier projects in this community have focused on providing services and pre-packaged solutions. Getting technology into the community's hands is a whole new ball game.

jamesh

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:27 am

Quote from Shane Hudson on September 1, 2011, 14:43
Connect a wifi adapter and webcam... connect it to a toy drone. A flying webcam with a lot more control than a normal one!

Now that's given me an idea......

t0rben

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:04 pm

I just want one for a little home server. feel pretty boring though after reading some of your ideas :D

ErvKosch

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:11 pm

I would connect it to a Teensy USB board and some basic circuitry and make a Christmas lights display.

Pete Burgess

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Media centre... but for the most part I want to run a PBX on it. Run Freeswitch, hook it up to an ATA at one end and Google Voice at the other. Boom, free phone line.

ChAoS

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Over the last couple of years, I've been a keen Practical Shotgunner. We shoot steel targets against the clock. Generally, these targets are passive - they're just stood on the ground and we knock 'em over.

However, it seemed to *me* that it'd be nice to have *active* targets; a 10mm steel box housing an actuator, IR sensor and wifi-connected 'puter could detect when a shooter comes into range, flip up the steel target and either (a) sense that the target has been hit or (b) time-out and lower the target if the shooter ain't quick enough.

I voiced this idea only a few weeks ago and one club member said something like, "well, that's OK if you want to spend a thousand odd quid".

And *then*, a week or two ago, I discover RaspberryPi...

All I need now is a mechanical engineer, electronics engineer, software engineer (I'll delegate that task - I've had enough of programmin' 'puters although RP may change that) and a metal-basher.

So, let's see dem boards, RP-team!

Regards,

Mark.

blc

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:46 am

I've been quite interested in small-form-factor computing for a while. In the past, that's had to be relegated to things like Pico or Nano ITX and some form of x86 platform. I have discovered quite a few even smaller devices, such as the Alix boards or the BeagleBoard, but they've either been expensive or underpowered. The R-Pi however is a completely different kettle of fish.

I suspect that my primary use for one will be as a Media box; I currently use my main PC to watch my media through my TV, but I have been considering getting an Apple TV - if XBMC can be successfully ported to the r-pi, with full hardware video decoding, then that's a winner in my book. XBMC and the r-pi hardware sound like a match made in heaven (see Microsoft? That's what happens when people tinker with your platform. You do get a few evil pirates, but you also get talented hackers who come up with fantastic pieces of software and uses you could have never thought of. Glad they learned that lesson with the Kinect.)

I've also been hanging on to the LCD screen out of an old laptop for a couple of years now. Re-using a laptop LCD has been prohibitively expensive in the past, due to the cost of controller boards, but I've managed to source a retailer on fleaBay who sells controller boards for around £40 - they have previously confirmed that my particular panel is compatible. Therefore for a long time I've been planning some sort of custom-built tablet or all-in-one PC type deal, but the expense of small form factor computing has always put me off (not to mention concerns over battery life and custom fabrication of an appropriate case). The r-pi may be able to somewhat revive that idea; I don't have to worry about a £100 SoC adding to the mounting bill of materials.

Wearable computing is also a very interesting area...

garryg

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:07 pm

I’ve got a dead Mac classic and dead eeePc. I was thinking about combining the LCD PC screen with the Mac case and using the R-Pi to run Mame. The addition of an off the shelf arcade type USB joystick, a screen controller, internally mounted power supply and a new paint-job cold give me a decent little stand-alone Mini-Mame cabinet!

Return to “General discussion”