hordecore

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:45 pm

I can actually see myself keeping one in my work locker for when i'm early or on breaks. Find a fix to get it on the bus and i'll have a decent amount of time to learn python.

Lob0426

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Sticking it inside a case that allows you to easily remove and install the SD card,through a slot in the case, would work well. Placing a connector on that case that will allow you to plug it into different interfaces. Plug it into a mini keyboard, battery and small LCD and it is portable. Plug it into a LAN/USB/power (model B) and you are ready to use it as a personal computing device on your desktop. Of course you will have to plug in a monitor when you need it. With only a few 4GB SD cards you could have half a dozen different uses for 1 or 2 (or 3) RasPi's. You can also hardwire from the SD card slot to the multi connector. Every time you plug into a different interface you would also be plugging into a different SD card. You just leave the appropriate SD card in the external connector.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

jasongreen

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Diaspora has already been mentioned. There's also the https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/, a software stack for privacy. It's Debian based already.

stuporhero

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Mine will become an old-school home computer! I will be learning ARM assembly and attempting a translation of the Amiga 1.2 ROM!

paladin252

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:10 pm

i would use this to host a mumble voip server http://http://mumble.sourceforge.net. i am paying $25 a year for a hosted one now and this would eliminate that cost and pay for itself.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:21 pm

Quote from paladin252 on August 23, 2011, 15:10
i would use this to host a mumble voip server http://http://mumble.sourceforge.net. i am paying $25 a year for a hosted one now and this would eliminate that cost and pay for itself.

Make sure you have the internet connection and location for it. You might have latency and bandwidth issues or a bad route to certain parts of the world.

When I ran a minecraft server I had people from the UK, Australia and USA, so finding a good location was difficult. Europe has a bad connection to Australia and much of the US. Australia has one main cable running to LA from Sydney I believe. This basically limited the location to somewhere close to LA. I was able to get latency down so that only a few people from the Netherlands would have any lag at all. When I didn't have time for it, I handed it over to a guy in the UK who's still running it from his attic, I believe. It's playable, but pretty laggy for me in Australia and for people in America.

I expect the Mumble server to have similar issues if you require lag-free connection from around the world.

Warringer

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Quote from Archangel5089 on August 18, 2011, 12:01
Also, Apache/MySQL can be quite slow to process (especially if you use something like Drupal CMS), chances are you would want more power than an R-pi to avoid developing madness :(

Well, with the cheapness of the R-Pi, you could run Apache on one device and MySQL on the other.

Anyway, I plan for the following things:

XBMC system for the TV
Getting an USB2.0 RAID box to set up a small NAS/Media Server
Using a HD case I still got flying around as a small server
A small surf system when I don't want to turn on my full power system

AshleyBooth

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:07 pm

I would run [email protected] to cut down on the power my PS3 uses.

Svartalf

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Heh... How about an advanced lasertag system, using open hardware and software... That, I can mention...

JoeTarrant

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Put it in a case with a keyboard which has one of those IBM trackpoint nipple mice. You then have a "Pi-Box", which is like a modern Apple ][ with keyboard and mouse included

I've seen articles online that say Africa is flooded with cheap Chinese TV sets. Plug the box into one and you have a very basic desktop with internet access and perhaps a 640x480 screen (maybe only black and white). Plug the Pi-Box into a mobile phone or ethernet and you have a home or business PC that a number of users can log into.

Provide a basic "Works package": wordprocessor, spreadsheet, database.

At this point, the machine becomes useful to homes, students, businesses too small for a "real" PC.

The pi has the potential to be Africa's Apple ][. Powerful enough (hopefully) to be useful for productivity (writing, coding, small business, email) but cheap enough to be ubiquitous. It mightn't be long before Chinese companies start shipping small ten-inch computer screens that run at 640x480. The original Apple Mac had a 9" screen. People can do amazing things with basic kit and a small screen.

That's my idea: r-pi as Africa's Apple ][, combined with ultra-cheap VGA screens (LCD or whatever).

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:44 pm

That's very much what we're hoping for, too! I was amazed at how many TVs there were kicking around in Africa when I visited a couple of years ago; mice and keyboards are a bit less ubiquitous, but they are now very, very cheap.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

crshbndct

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 am

i apologize for the swearing.. but i thought this was fitting fir what i want to do with it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pantherman

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:52 am

I already posted a thread asking the feasiblity of this, none the less.....

A cheap NAS server for me, brother and father. We all found ourselves at one time or another needing to back something up (more than 4 gigs at a time) and burning 20 gigs to DVDs is laborious compared to backing it up to hard drive.

Pantherman

Lakes

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:48 pm

Quote from stuporhero on August 22, 2011, 14:02
Mine will become an old-school home computer! I will be learning ARM assembly and attempting a translation of the Amiga 1.2 ROM!This would totally Rock!

HomeBrew Amiga! ARMiga? RasMiga?? :)

stuporhero

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Heh, it'd be wildly different and need a USB interface to removable media (usb-cdrom?)... Graphics, Audio... and wouldn't be an exact match (even though no-one knows who AmigaOS belongs to!) but would be very cool.

It'd be a big project. And the main programming language on it would be Python... PyGame?

jzu

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:48 pm

You would need to emulate the custom chipset as well (raster graphics with genlock, audio). Not for the faint of heart...

MeGaMoSiMoN

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:55 pm

NAS or some sort of "media center" definetly fpr my TV or beamer....

Lakes

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Quote from jzu on August 27, 2011, 19:48
You would need to emulate the custom chipset as well (raster graphics with genlock, audio). Not for the faint of heart...Or use one of these... http://www.excamera.com/sphinx.....gameduino/ :D

jzu

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:06 pm

Cool device for an Arduino, which lacks pretty much everything in the audio-video area, but I think the Raspberry would match its raw capabilities anyway. The problem lies in writing a compatibility layer with a totally different hardware, including the Motorola 32-bit processor and the famed Amiga chipset(s). Is this at all possible? Let me express some doubts. ;)

secondhelpings

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:16 pm

I'd like to play around and try out a home media server/ web browsing machine to attach to the back of my pc (case with VESA mount would be cool), I'd like to have a portable Pi to carry round with me and try out all sorts of ideas for remote monitoring, timelapse photography, webserver and other stuff too. I work in a school so I am sure there would be lots of interest from kids and I'd probably start a club where we could experiment with Pi for programming. The low cost of the device is amazing, I can't wait to get my hands on one, this really will be a revolutionary device!

stuporhero

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Quote from jzu on August 27, 2011, 19:48
You would need to emulate the custom chipset as well (raster graphics with genlock, audio). Not for the faint of heart...

It would be look-and-feel only. This is a new platform for new miracles, new "shadow of the beast"s to be produced. For everything else, there's UAE. 8-)

DanielSilva

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:17 pm

The first thing i'll be using this is as a video streaming client. I have a atom powered server that has vlc streaming multiple channels/streams and each RPi board will act as a client to said server.

Lucretia

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:19 am

I'll keep it simple, I'd develop a microkernel OS in Ada on it :D and given the chance (i.e. docs) write a GL driver for it also, and other drivers too.

Luke.

wjlugaila

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:56 am

I would like to use it as a possible research computer to help my wife in her masters degree in counseling. Haven't thought the project all the way thru yet.

WhatsLinux

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:27 am

I would do inappropriate things...

Return to “General discussion”