liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Quote from ukscone on August 2, 2011, 21:24
Quote from liz on August 2, 2011, 21:16
It's my plan too - I'm too cheap for a TiVo, and I *hate* the way my Sky box erases things once I've watched them. I am planning to *buy* Game of Thrones when you finally release it on DVD, you buggers - couldn't you have left me with the ad-blighted version in the meantime?

pssst don't tell anyone but you can find lots of ad-blighted versions sans ads if you use the er er shared offsite backup system called bittorrent or usenet :)

of course if anyone asks you know nothing about such things

Sadly, my ISP has caught onto this and throttles torrents to a sad dribble.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Quote from liz on August 3, 2011, 13:57

Sadly, my ISP has caught onto this and throttles torrents to a sad dribble.

Oh well but you do have at least one advantage over the USA. You've got Twiglets, Ribena and Branston Pickle

Mixxy

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:07 pm

I would use it as a HTML or PHP server for low traffic websites.

thesynapseuk

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Quote from abishur on July 28, 2011, 05:22

(Extremely Portable Media PC, Old Console Emulator, it goes on)

Ultra portable SNES/Megadrive/Etc.! Now that's what I'm talking about! Amazing Idea.

The joy is you only need to carry round a few SD cards and USB drives to take all that functionality with you!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:43 pm

i've been thinking. i'm not sure WHY i'm going to do it but i'm going to see if i can use a Zipit Z2 running an upgraded bootloader (u-boot) and with the usb host mod to control a rasp-pi -- it is kind of a silly idea as the Z2 already does pretty much the same as the Raspi but has a keyboard, wifi and lcd but as i have a bakers dozen or so and at least half have the usb mods i might as well :)

Mixxy

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:37 am

There could be a good usability to use Rpi as a network component(firewall, DNS for a small company, ...) Might be also usefull at school to learn how network parts works! Every student would set its iwn Rpi as a device in network and when they would connect all theirs Rpis it would simulate all the network ;)

abishur

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Not a bad idea. You could go one step further and have them literally be their own isolated network complete with AD authentication, SMTP, if you had a web design class they could provide an intranet, if not you could still have each student do a simple bio page on themselves and set the DNS to go to their site when you went to http://www.studentsname.com, and maybe a main page at something like http://www.aboutus.com

That would be an extremely cool class. Now that I think about it, why on earth didn't any of my very expensive college courses do anything like that when we were learning about networking, DNS, AD, or anything?

(plus if a course like this was offered in college a $25 go buy a r-pi fee would be one of the cheapest fees I EVER had to pay)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

nyzeta

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm gonna get a couple of these for my panorama project. I imagine that this device connected to a DSLR and a couple of servos would make a perfect (and cheap) automatic panorama head. And a preprocessor that are able to actually mark the images right and move them into a storage directly would be fantastic :D

liz

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Quote from Svartalf on July 29, 2011, 20:30

Hm...that would entail allowing someone to have source code to port it, wouldn't it? If it's a consideration, I'll sign up to do that... :D

BeebEm!

Svartalf

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Quote from liz on August 4, 2011, 19:54
BeebEm!

Heh... I was thinking more native code answers, but an emulator would work out well.

mrbubl3s

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Quote from bircoe on July 28, 2011, 05:09
MINITURE ARCADE CABINETS!!!! OH YEAH PACMAN!!!!

There's an idea! haha

Lob0426

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:59 pm

I am thinking about sticking one (model B) inside a Linksys WRT54G ver7.2 with a seagate 320Gb (free agent GO 2.5" drive stripped of its case) USB HDD as a combo smart router/web server/NAS probably will have to sling the HDD under the case and add a fan to reduce the additional heat from the Ras.Pi! (DD-WRT)

The second one I am going to install inside a wireles keyboard and mouse as a traveling project.

then I will probably need a third one for whatever I come up with next. lol
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

crispy

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:25 am

Wifi repeater (or router)
USB hub, two wifi dongles. Raspberry Pi. It should be possible to use one dongle for connecting to the wireless network, and then setup the other one bridged to broadcast the same network. At least its possible with some of the open WRT software for routers, except with two USB dongles you can get full speed :)

PulseAudio sound
Wifi dongle and soundcard dongle connected to your amplifier in the kitchen, living room etc etc, so you can just select output from the device you are currently using to send to either room.

duese

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:36 pm

I would use it as a Crypted NAS-System.
What do you think which transfer Rates schould be possible with e.g. UBUNTU-Server and the R-PI?
10 - 14 MBit/s ??

Another R-PI i would use as a Streamingclient on my TV.
Maybe i would try to do a terminal project or use it as an Thin-Client.

Is it possible to run JAVA-Software onthe R-PI. I mean there is an JRE for ARM isn't it?

Thank you for Answers!

jonititan

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:32 pm

I would use a couple in an attempt to build a robotic ekranoplan.

gerits

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:34 pm

I would start with installing ssh on it, and then configure it with a GIT, HTTP and FTP server. If it is powerfull enough I will connect my external hard disk to it, so I can stream music and use it as a fileserver. Then my pc doesn't has to be on all the time, my electricity bill was really to high last time.

liz

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:44 pm

Quote from jonititan on August 6, 2011, 15:32
I would use a couple in an attempt to build a robotic ekranoplan.

Aha! A Black Sea Midget!

Willofield

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:10 pm

I think i'll use a Raspberry Pi for HTML coding and some other webdesign related stuff and playing some older games (i think dosbox will run) or Games from the Humble Indie Bundle (if they'll run) ;)

sycophantic

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:41 pm

I'd use it as a APRS I-Gate and AIS receiver so I wouldn't have to run a PC 24/7 to do it.

abishur

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:04 pm

I was actually thinking more about this and I thought of two other things I'd like to use the r-pi for. The first is to control a USB relay. There are plenty of boards around, but they usually cost around $50 so I think I'll look into making my own. The idea is that you send commands out the com port (USB) that trip relays (the relays have to have a second power supply for the higher voltage). The obvious downside to this is that you have to have a USB cable/PC going to wherever the device is, but with a small r-pi sitting next to it, that just makes it all the more versatile!

The second thing I was considering was an instant gateway for such a relay / USB controlled device. You get a model B with ethernet, setup a simple webpage with the ability to send commands to the com port and BAM! you can control the device from anywhere in the house. Go one step further and you could even access it via the internet!

Lob0426

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Abishur wiring a Ras.Pi directly inside a router should allow it to be accessed through the inter or intranet for control. You can either forward ports to it or just DMZ it. You can establish a bridge or connect it to LAN if you use a wireless router. The main problem with the router I intend to use is only supports a micro build of dd-wrt. A lot of features missing there. The other router I have to play with is a linksys 150N which does not have a 100% supported build of dd-wrt available to it. For now I am not willing to hack up my 310N (dd-wrt), yet! Opened up the wrt54gs ver. 7.2 last night and there is ton of room inside the case. Still think I will have to sling the USB HDD outside the box. Besides there is almost no room inside the 310N case any way!

tnelsond

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:03 pm

I would use the Raspberry Pi to replace my 8 year old 512mb ram 2.6ghz dual core desktop computer. I think that not only would the Raspberry Pi outperform it (due to it's GPU) but it would also be much more portable and less electricity hungry.

abishur

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Quote from Lob0426 on August 7, 2011, 17:02
Abishur wiring a Ras.Pi directly inside a router should allow it to be accessed through the inter or intranet for control. You can either forward ports to it or just DMZ it. You can establish a bridge or connect it to LAN if you use a wireless router. The main problem with the router I intend to use is only supports a micro build of dd-wrt. A lot of features missing there. The other router I have to play with is a linksys 150N which does not have a 100% supported build of dd-wrt available to it. For now I am not willing to hack up my 310N (dd-wrt), yet! Opened up the wrt54gs ver. 7.2 last night and there is ton of room inside the case. Still think I will have to sling the USB HDD outside the box. Besides there is almost no room inside the 310N case any way!

Ah, see I wasn't referring to mounting the r-pi directly inside of a router (although I've seen others mentioning it as well). I was talking about using the model B and port forwarding the web requests to the ethernet addy of the specific r-pi device I wanted to control. With such a setup I could have any number of r-pis throughout my house controlling different things each accessible via the internet.

Of course, I'd also make sure to put some authentication on there so random people wouldn't be in control of my sprinklers!

Lob0426

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:07 am

You will only be limited by the number of entries available in your port forwarding list. Some routers have a pretty short list. Port forwarding to each device is tedious though. Each different device can be at a seperate intranet IP. You may not even have to use all that port forwarding if you use one of the raspi or another computer to build a web page to control the functions "inside" your network. You would only have to reach that computer. I do this through RDP Lite on my iPhone. I had to forward port 3389 to my windows home server, I also had some problems until I forwarded port 80 also, don't know why though. Other ports are forwarded for WHS but do not seem to be used for RDP Lite.

There are many RDP programs available for every platform out there. I let WHS handle the authentication for me because I am lazy! Also I have an exception list on the WHS that helps cut out the hackers trying to enter my network throught the server. Too really make sure I can enter the WHS I have considered adding a dial up modem for when I end on a network that is in the exceptions list. lol remember security is never convenient!

abishur

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:57 am

Fortunately, I've yet to be limited by port forwarding entries... but I also spend the extra money to get a good routers or upgrade them with dd-wrt :P But I like your solution too!

Return to “General discussion”