hardcore

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:49 am

Quote from liz on July 29, 2011, 20:48
Svaltarf is right - WiFi chips are very, very pricey. They're also very power-hungry, as you'll know if you've ever fiddled with the WiFi settings on your phone/Kindle/etc. So for now, WiFi's really not do-able, but we do hope to perhaps include it in a future version. (I'm personally hoping for a Moore's law-type fall in the cost of the things too.)

liz,
I worked with WiFi so I have done a bit more than fiddle with my phone, and there is a BIG difference, specifically the phone is not in the same band as WiFi, then there is A/D,D/A , data compression, dual or quad band etc.
As for being power hungry take a look at some of the cheap android tablets coming out of China utilizing the Atheros chips, upward of 4-6 hours on the battery.
It would appear from you mentioning power issues that you envisage these as being 'battery' powered, just how much portability will you get with an RJ45 stuck in the socket?

The issue is going to be getting into a student environment where there are say 10 of these boards, that means you need at least 10 cables(those dreadful RJ45, whose silly little locking tabs break off ), tied back to a router and further infrastructure.

Don't get me wrong , I think the project is really fantastic, but if education environments are the real target, then there may be some issues when multiple devices and lesson plan setups.

Cafe

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:48 am

Quote from hardcore on July 29, 2011, 09:21
WiFi makes the per-unit go up nastily. Instead of being a $25-ish device, it'd become a $50-75 range (if you're lucky...) device.

A small form-factor USB dongle costs $2-$4 in the US; €5 in Europe. Use this dongle on a USB port. I am sure the community will figure out which dongles work and which won't and someone will prepared drivers for the popular dongles.

purple

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:50 am

I would port my lua-gl operating system to this device! It's a self booting os (boots in 2 seconds) - boots to a command prompt and let's you write lua code with open gl extensions! I taught my son how to write games using this and now he has moved on to c++ development! It was a great way to get him started!

I've already got this running on pandaboard and beagleboard - raspberry pi would give it a new lease of life!

Looking forward to this board!

Mr_Navigator

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:06 am

Initially, I want to stick it inside a keyboard and have a self contained system just like a retro computer system such as the Sinclair QL and revitalise the cool programming of SuperBASIC.

snicklin

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:20 am

I have several things I'd like to use one for:

1) Christmas presents to just "hand out" (they can find their own uses).
2) Computer automation server (periodically screen-scrape sites, file moving, housekeeping of filesystems etc)
3) Teach my child to program (a few years away yet though)
4) Web server.
5) Living room web browser.
6) Remote test machines for my code development.

amiga65

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:06 pm

I would like to build a replacement for My ipod. Something that's not tied into one company and There idea of what a hand held / multi media device should be. I want to play any file type the device can handle plus use it as a real computer. When this becomes available My real problem would be finding a touch screen that doesn't cost as much as My ipod.

L_J_S_23

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Webcam Server instead of $200 video baby monitor!
!

That sounds like a fantastic idea, and very useful.

The idea of using an old casing is really cool. I'd opt for an acorn electron tho'.

Ultimately I'd like to use the raspi as a means of teaching my daughter about how computers actually work, and ideally how to program them.

cougarten

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:18 pm

-webserver to free myself from google services

abishur

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:19 pm

I had two more ideas for how this could be used. The first is rather silly.

A "Universal Translator :p " Throw on a Mic and a screen. You talk, google voice (or some other voice to text program) translates into a web based translator, translates it into the desired language and displays the translation on the screen! :D

The second, and more plausible, idea is a spin on the mobile class room. There are several Computer on Wheels (CoWs) solutions for schools right now. Most of them involve a cart with spots for each laptop. You slide in the laptop it charges. The cart has a wireless AP built into it and fans to keep the laptops cool while docked. Some of the more fancy ones actually let you deploy updates and remote into the computers while they are docked. The carts alone cost a thousand dollars, not to mention the cost of each laptop in there and the cost to repair/replace each laptop when damaged.

But with this all you'd have to do is hook up your personal Pi to a docking station of sorts and bam! You're good to go. Get a piece of software on there that lets the teach remotely view the students screen to make sure they're on task (lightweight VNC) and you're golden. The majority of students could purchase it themselves, and the school could provide a reduce cost or no cost one for students of low income families. I mean 40 R-Pi devices at 25 dollars a piece is still only the cost of one mid-grade laptop. That's enough for almost two full classrooms. One device should be able to last a child through middle school and another for high school. (Technically, one should easily last 6 years, but I'd imagine a new one every three years for tech upgrades).
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jzu

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 am

I've been experimenting with a Linksys NSLU2 for some time now for real-time audio processing: guitar effects, sample player (http://jzu.blog.free.fr/index......?tag/NSLU2 - sorry, it's in French). The Raspberry is my next hardware target.

Something else entirely: the Diapora* project (http://blog.joindiaspora.com/w.....spora.html) could benefit from these devices - anybody could set up a "pod" on which they could base their profile. The project itself is more or less ailing right now but cheap, small,, reasonably powerful computers might become a game-changer.

jonokrause

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Since my course this september is going to be in Computer networking/administration this would be perfect, buy two of them and practice doing linux administration, maybe try to make a cluster with them, and hmmm see if i can use a Cisco Router Emulation program on them and hmmm maybe run a small apache server on it, possibilities are endless i guess

Svartalf

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Quote from Cafe on July 30, 2011, 07:48
A small form-factor USB dongle costs $2-$4 in the US; €5 in Europe. Use this dongle on a USB port. I am sure the community will figure out which dongles work and which won't and someone will prepared drivers for the popular dongles.

Really?

Part of the issue isn't so much the cost, folks. Does it have Linux drivers? Without drivers, the prices mean nothing. More to the point, someone quoting me $2-4 US needs to share his sources for that sort of deal, rather than just flinging it out. Let me run it past you what the reality of things are...

Fry's (which is the cheapest place in the DFW area that I'd trust the parts from...) happens to have a Patriot branded device for $12.99 as the cheapest device in their lineup that I know would work for this, but would NOT be my first choice because it's a mediocre performer. I know a bit about the margins on that- there's only about a 30% or so markup on that one- and it's not small form factor. Cheapest SFF device is an Inland for $19.99- and again...I'd not use it for anything important.

NewEgg happens to have a similar to the Patriot device in size for...$11.99 which is on sale from $27.99, no idea if there's proper Linux support available. They have a Rosewill available for the same price on sale from $19.99 (note that price, guys...) that is known to be "okay" for G service from Linux.

AmyS3

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:17 am

well you can get cheap realtek wifi dongles for around 4-5 € in germany.. which equals ~4.5 £..
also you can get those in the uk for 7-8 £.. same model o_0
and they work with linux..

no idea how much this is in $ since im a german living in the uk ^^

btt:
i would use the pi for robotic applications.. especially for autonomus robots since the pi got quite some cpu power to let a c++(or else) programm do loads of calculations, sensors, video processing, motor/servo driving and other stuff in a more easy and quicker way than building a controller board on your own and programm a/the microcontroller/s with nasty dev tools..

just code a programm in your preferred language and let it run .. simples

the pi board literaly calls to be used in a/my "uav"

R0kk0

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 am

1. Wi-fi module required, to make this device more portable or if you want to use many of pi computers.
2. Better to have 2 USB ports. 1st you can use for some external storage and 2nd for i/o devices.
3. Built in speaker and maybe mic.

snapo

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:38 am

I will create a SQL Cluster with 10-20 raspberry pi... after they are aviable (will test it with a mysql cluster, apache cluster)....

or should i order 40 and create my own cloud in a computer? ;=)

buy a bigtower, place in a 48port switch, put in a DC powersuply that brings 12v (because its the cheapest), create from wood slots for the raspberry's .....

total price:
raspberrys = 35$ * 40
Tower = 100$
Powersupply = 20$
Switch (used one)= 30$
4 GB micro-SD = 5$ * 40
-----------------------------------
1750$

Power consumption: <40W
Processor power: 28Ghz
Ram: 10GB
Disk : 160GB (with ultra high IOP)

-------------------------------------
Costs to get the first placed super computer:
9123 * 1750$ = 16M$
9123 * 40W = about 365kW
9123 * 28Ghz = 255'444 Ghz
9123 * 10 GBram = 91'230 GBram
9123 * 160GB Disk = 1.2 Exabyte
And you will have the worlds fastest super computer, if you compare this to the real price of the todays super computer 340M$ .... its the cheapest solution.... ;=))))))
--------------------------------------

Just my 5 Cents

R0kk0

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:48 pm

I think it's cool idea to place these computers in hotels! You even not need monitors, because of hdmi port.

Svartalf

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Quote from AmyS3 on August 2, 2011, 08:17
well you can get cheap realtek wifi dongles for around 4-5 € in germany.. which equals ~4.5 £..
also you can get those in the uk for 7-8 £.. same model o_0
and they work with linux..

no idea how much this is in $ since im a german living in the uk ^^

Heh... All you've done is pretty much quoted the same prices I did earlier in the thread- just in Euros and Pounds. ;)

Telling us $2-4 is just...heh...a bunch of bunk without proof- and it doesn't even get to support, needing to add a hub (There's another chip... Seriously, guys...don't think that you need JUST the WiFi dongle there... When I say $20-ish to the cost, this is a CTO of a company that's been where Raspberry Pi's standing right now talking about this...), and so forth.

btt:
i would use the pi for robotic applications.. especially for autonomus robots since the pi got quite some cpu power to let a c++(or else) programm do loads of calculations, sensors, video processing, motor/servo driving and other stuff in a more easy and quicker way than building a controller board on your own and programm a/the microcontroller/s with nasty dev tools..

just code a programm in your preferred language and let it run .. simples

the pi board literaly calls to be used in a/my "uav"

Heh... It calls to be in a lot of applications... It's a possible game-changer much like the Arduino is (and could be a device to issue the control inputs to one...).

LuisSP

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Since Google Voice just got here I can see it working as a cellphone of sorts.

bjmgeek

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Set Top Box. Plug it into my TV's HDMI input, and watch video streamed from the LAN.

abishur

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Quote from bjmgeek on August 2, 2011, 20:01
Set Top Box. Plug it into my TV's HDMI input, and watch video streamed from the LAN.

I'm sure I will end up using one R-Pi for this exact purpose as well. With my desktop PC being in a different room of the house it's been quite the pain to stream anything to my PC. My main options were to build a HTPC or run a bunch of cabling through the attic to my TV... I went with the second option since I didn't want to drop 300 just to stream to my TV, but it's never really given me the level of ease and excellence I expect from a set up.

Is it just me or can the R-Pis just not hit the market quickly enough?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:16 pm

It's my plan too - I'm too cheap for a TiVo, and I *hate* the way my Sky box erases things once I've watched them. I am planning to *buy* Game of Thrones when you finally release it on DVD, you buggers - couldn't you have left me with the ad-blighted version in the meantime?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Quote from liz on August 2, 2011, 21:16
It's my plan too - I'm too cheap for a TiVo, and I *hate* the way my Sky box erases things once I've watched them. I am planning to *buy* Game of Thrones when you finally release it on DVD, you buggers - couldn't you have left me with the ad-blighted version in the meantime?

pssst don't tell anyone but you can find lots of ad-blighted versions sans ads if you use the er er shared offsite backup system called bittorrent or usenet :)

of course if anyone asks you know nothing about such things

bagge

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:49 am

DIY picture frame!

lkedves

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 am

Heavy programming! (no kidding)

truxntrax

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Sqeezeslave + sqeezebox + raspberry PI = whole house audio streaming!

Return to “General discussion”