Cephadai

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Quote from ukscone on July 29, 2011, 15:59
i'm thinking that porting blassic (and fixing/updating the graphics modes and adding more dialects too) would be kind of fun and at least minimally useful in a braindead way. other than that using it for emulators and running python, lua, euphoria interpreters could be nice too.

You the euphoria programming language too? nice so do i! :D

Chris

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Quote from scottystreet on July 29, 2011, 15:18
I'd love to get 10 of these cross-computing... It's like a dream!! I could do what this device was born for: COMPUTE PI!

Anyway - enough of that. This would be great as a server... Continuing on from the wearable computer idea, I reckon it would be cool to sew this into a coat :D

Have your own low cost - "low power" mainfraim. Sounds cool, reminds me of the film "hackers".

weirdeidolon

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:36 pm

i'll take a handful to start some distributed computing projects on

Chris

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Come to think of it, I would probably violate some EULA's by hacking a Rasberry into my Acer Monitor as a non-hackintosh hackintosh

eggtastico

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:09 pm

I think the possibilities for these are almost endless.
Small enough to do almost anything you want.
I think the main advantage is using them as client/secondary devices, but can be controlled/managed by a server/primary computer.

What springs to mind is media streaming as mentioned. plug it in & a simple menu system that can connect to a home server & stream from there, etc. XBMC Client maybe? :oD

Everything good about the last 30 years of computing can be re-created. It would be easy for a teaching device having the teacher's PC/Laptop as a server & these as clients - dumb terminals/thin clients. Teachers could 'push' reading material, etc. to the clients & pull home work files, etc. for marking/grading... or maybe some sort of Citrix clone.

Maybe future versions could have audio in/out for simple VOIP, etc.
Others uses could be to make a cheap IP Camera or a cheap print server.

A front end like JoliOS would be nice - a nice easy user interface.

I think there's so many possibilities - they are even cheap enough for companies to give away as a marketing/promotional device... maybe giving access to a special area on a website or pricelists, etc.
Then there's VPN, etc.

Other future modules could accept sim cards for 3g internet, etc.

Its the kind of device where people wouldnt own 1, but 3 or 4 or 5 or 10, etc!!!

What I would really like to see, would be a collectors/special edition that is setup so you
can play the whole elite back catalog - it could even come boxed in a a re-issue of the original
Elite Packaging with the manual, etc. 'o)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:20 pm

What I would really like to see, would be a collectors/special edition that is setup so you
can play the whole elite back catalog - it could even come boxed in a a re-issue of the original

Heh - I'll mention this to David, but I don't think it's very likely in our first round of manufacturing. *Lovely* idea though.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

pyxen

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm

@liz re: sous-vide cooking... check out the Ranco ETC-111000-000 Prewired Digital Temperature Controller (etcsupply.com). Get yourself a cheap $20 slow-cooker from a flea-market (one with a dial for off/on, not electronic controlled), and you're set..

I don't know what I'd do with a Raspberry Pi yet, but I'm sure it'd have something to do with replacing my PS3 as my media server!

caminati

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Not having to carry around a heavier-and-larger-than-I-need netbook to compute what I need while moving is alone a great reason which would drive me into buying one: I am positive that its computing power would suffice my needs (basically LaTeXing, surfing, running some math apps like the ones in Sage, viewing documents and pictures).
The greatest values of this unique project to my eyes are modularity (I want to build my system exactly as I want it), small size and cheapness, the first of which I guess is fundamental for the latter ones.
IMO they should have precedence on any other consideration when accepting suggestions.

Corey

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:01 pm

I plan on hosting low memory game servers throughout a network of the upcoming nano comps. Been watching this for some time now.

Scottland89

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:17 pm

I'm planning to buy a few.

1 General one, 1 to make into a cheap laptop (if possible to do it less than the cost of one), 1 to make into a cheap tablet (if possible to do it less than the cost of one), Maybe 1 to connect to my home router since all desktops are away from it, and maybe a couple to mess about with doing random experiments.

Due to the main nature of my current desktop (gaming) I've never used linux of any form so would be nice to be able to try it out, cheaply and easily.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Shiv

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:50 pm

Planning on using some as indoor motion sensitive security camera system doubling as a distributed home NAS, possibly small web server, and distributed computing (BOINC?). It would be really cool if I could get my hands on/write some programs to leverage them for distributed computing/simulating or just something to harness their computing power collectively for the more power hungry apps.

With the current trend of moving things into the cloud, I see these devices becoming very popular depending on how things play out since they offer a lot of flexibility. Would love to see these devices get increasingly powerful, cheaper, and versatile.

Svartalf

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Quote from eben on July 27, 2011, 20:45
How would you use a $25 Linux box? We've heard from people who want to put them in cars, balloons and sounding rockets, connect them to HAM radios or use them as NAS boxes and home media servers.

Can you think of something we've not seen yet?

There's quite a few things I could think of- but can't discuss because of my role within my company...no good breaching your own NDA, now is it? ;)

In all seriousness, though, the things people are coming up with for this are...wicked.

Svartalf

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 pm

Quote from liz on July 29, 2011, 18:20

Heh - I'll mention this to David, but I don't think it's very likely in our first round of manufacturing. *Lovely* idea though.

Hm...that would entail allowing someone to have source code to port it, wouldn't it? If it's a consideration, I'll sign up to do that... :D

Svartalf

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Quote from hardcore on July 29, 2011, 09:21
It just has to be a wearable computer.
But a bit disappointed you guys went "hardwired", WIFI would have been better, would have allowed wearable networking devices, plus it would be easier to use in education.
Currently the students would be tied to the LAN cables, kids and cables don't mix, with WIFI (without the need for a USB dongle), it would really open up the device.

HC

WiFi makes the per-unit go up nastily. Instead of being a $25-ish device, it'd become a $50-75 range (if you're lucky...) device. The cheapest usable devices for WiFi end up being $20-25- and most of that is in the RF modem and interface chip- which would still be there and be a USB device off of a USB switch on the board.

liz

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Svaltarf is right - WiFi chips are very, very pricey. They're also very power-hungry, as you'll know if you've ever fiddled with the WiFi settings on your phone/Kindle/etc. So for now, WiFi's really not do-able, but we do hope to perhaps include it in a future version. (I'm personally hoping for a Moore's law-type fall in the cost of the things too.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Svartalf

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:10 pm

(I'm personally hoping for a Moore's law-type fall in the cost of the things too.)

Heh... That's why the G type devices are as cheap as they are right now. ;)

LuisSP

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:11 pm

As a Portuguese/English teacher there are lots of things that could be done with this.

Hot Potato exercises could be done as teams (I'd love to get a RP for everyone but a device for 4 kids would work) and get them motivated by having a competition to see who finishes first. That's just something out of my head and in my area.

In my personal life I'm gearing up to make some arcade sticks for friends and possibly sell custom made ones. I can see people wanting a small computer in there to act as a plug-and-play emulator console (no roms included, of course). Imagine running Mario Bros or Street Fighter II, maybe even some UMK3 for the Genesis/Megadrive straight out of an arcade stick.

I'm serious when I say I'd pre-order two right now if I could.

Other uses? Well, slap a touchscreen and a battery on it and it's a tablet that could be used for work by connecting it to a decent keyboard and a bigger screen.

Add a decent external hard drive and it could power a Mame Arcade cabinet (my first computer was weaker than the RP and ran the old classics) or a Jukebox.

kenpem

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:00 pm

At this cost point, the possibilities are almost endless. As soon as they're up for retail, put me down for a six-pack (will there be quantity discounts?). I'd probably run one as a NAS, might experiment with Asterisk on another, test as a basic web server on one more, and save a couple for my robotics experiments - my ageing (but still much loved) NSLU2 will lose a job, but I'm sure I can find it something else to do.

I don't think high-performance applications are going to be the sellers here - education (3rd world if you can get it packaged nicely) and niche markets will be where most of the interest lies. What you've managed to do it put embedded computing within reach of many more developers. Something fag-packet sized that runs a mainstream Linux distro? Wow, the mind spins.

evilprguy

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:43 pm

I have a good friend that teaches in some pretty rough inner city schools in NJ. For the past 8 years he's been running a very unique computer music class, which he designed the curriculum for from the ground up. He teaches the kids how to create and record music with computer software (most of the kids have little to no exposure to computers outside of video games). The issue is always finding hardware that the kids can use at home outside of the classroom, and the Rasberry Pi really looks like it might be the answer to this problem. There is tons of fantastic free, and very low cost open source and independent music making software. The computer labs in the school are well equipped with nice gear. many of the kids who take this class become hooked on making music, but they have no way to continue creating music outside of the classroom, because even the most inexpensive computer s usually outside of the budget for these kids. Being able to show them where they could get a $25 computer would let a lot of these kids explore there talents at home, and long after they are finished with this class. Being able to use a TV as a monitor is another great wya to save money and allow more people access to a computer. I can't wait to get my hands on one to check it out and experiment with one!

vrocco

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 am

Pentesting applications........like the PwnPlug without the sucky SheevaPlug

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:26 am

Quote from Cephadai on July 29, 2011, 17:27
Quote from ukscone on July 29, 2011, 15:59
i'm thinking that porting blassic (and fixing/updating the graphics modes and adding more dialects too) would be kind of fun and at least minimally useful in a braindead way. other than that using it for emulators and running python, lua, euphoria interpreters could be nice too.

You the euphoria programming language too? nice so do i! :D

i've had partial success building euphoria for another arm based device using uClibc. Everything worked except it wouldn't load a file from the command line. i suspect it was the ancient uClibc i was "forced" to use as i had to make alot of patches to the euphoria source to handle some missing functions and some namespace conflicts. I built against glibc and didn't have to make any patches and although i didn't test it much other than to check it ran everything seemed ok. so i suspect it should be P.O.P. to build for the raspberrypi especially if i use scratchbox2 or buildroot but don't hold me to that :)

weiqj

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:42 am

I would deploy my QW Home Automation system onto that box. It's a perfect match.
The controller is build in pure C++. It now supports Insteon devices and Z-Wave will be added soon.
I can't wait to get several units from you guys.

http://qwhomeautomation.com

Paul Webster

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:00 am

Media Centre for me.
Bought and Xbox1 years ago just to run XBMC - and happy with it - but noisy fan and I expect machine to fail at some point.
Given this device is around same power then seems a natural replacement.

Maybe also use with USB disks as extra NAS - have a couple of NSLU2 and always-on PC doing that today.

hardcore

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:30 am

Quote from Svartalf on July 29, 2011, 20:34

HC

WiFi makes the per-unit go up nastily. Instead of being a $25-ish device, it'd become a $50-75 range (if you're lucky...) device. The cheapest usable devices for WiFi end up being $20-25- and most of that is in the RF modem and interface chip- which would still be there and be a USB device off of a USB switch on the board.

Please don't joke how can it go up by 200%, just by adding basic WiFi.
There are plenty of devices in the Chinese market with WiFi that sell in WAY below this price.
Even If I go out and purchase a WiFi USB dongle , I can do it for less than 10 bucks and that would include the plastic case, antenna, packaging, + profit margins of factory ,middle man and retailer.
Plus with the right WiFi chip you would come in over SPI/GPO, thereby loosing the need for an intermediate USB channel.

Return to “General discussion”