calclover2514

Automated Installer for Google Drive

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:12 am

A while back, I spent hours trying to make Google Drive work as a mounted folder on my Raspberry Pi. I even screwed up my Pi so badly in the process that I had to reinstall Raspbian.
I believe that Google Drive should be easier for an everyday user to install and use on a Raspberry Pi.
That is why I have created an automated script to install and mount Google Drive on the Raspberry Pi that requires little to no technical knowledge at all. I am hoping I can save someone the hours that I spent trying to get this to work.

The repository can be found here: https://github.com/calclover2514/RPi-Google-Drive

EDIT:
As of January 1, 2020, gdrivefs is no longer authorized by Google. I cannot fix this. Unfortunately, this means that this installer no longer works. This change, as of January 13, 2020, still remains in effect.
Last edited by calclover2514 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkywalkerSW5

Re: Automated Installer for Google Drive

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:42 am

This is pretty cool. I am currently making a program that lists a bunch of free software (if you have used DietPi, similar to the dietpi-config) to install. Do you mind if I use this in it?
Random dude. Likes dogs. And Linux. Complete NOOB.

calclover2514

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:08 am

Feel free as long as you give me some credit (I might need to change the license - I'll go do that now)

SkywalkerSW5

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:21 am

calclover2514 wrote: Feel free as long as you give me some credit (I might need to change the license - I'll go do that now)
Oh course. Would you like the website to lead to your GitHub page, or this forum?
Random dude. Likes dogs. And Linux. Complete NOOB.

calclover2514

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Whichever one you feel like - I don't care ;P

scruss

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:36 am

neat!

Should be using pip3, though. This avoids future compatibility problems.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

rickzman

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:19 pm

How is this supose to work?

I installed the script and now I have a folder in my home directory for the Google Drive. But, this doesn't seam to actually be my Google Drive that's in the cloud. I do not see any of the files in my cloud version of Google Drive and when I copy a fie into the folder, I don't see the file in my cloud Google Drive. I did get the notifications from Google about another connection to my drive.

I guess that I thought that I would be able to use my Google Drive for cloud storage and for passing files.

Help?????

Rick

calclover2514

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 pm

The file will eventually show up in your Google Drive directory online, but it will take some time, as it must sync it from your RPi back to Drive. Also, if your folder appears empty, try waiting ~30 seconds to see if it loads. If that doesn't work, try running the installation script again. If nothing above works, open an issue on Github with as many details as you can give, and I will fix it as soon as I get the chance.

Botspot

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:59 pm

Please. Use. Rclone. It's the best.

Very easy to mount your entire Google Drive using rclone.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install rclone
rclone config #very intuitive to set up. Just follow the instructions.
#Assuming you named your remote "My Google Drive:" and want it mounted to /home/pi/mounted, just run this command:
rclone mount "My Google Drive:" /home/pi/mounted #Do not forget to add the colon to your remote's name!!!
That's it! Rclone also supports over 20 cloud storage providers. I use it to backup my entire Pi daily, and have Onedrive, 2 Google Drives, and Dropbox all mounted to their respective folders.
Ever wanted to run an .img file before flashing it to an SD card?
Or wished you could run Stretch on a Pi 4?
Or wanted to run two versions of Raspbian on a single Pi simultaneously?
You can do all of that, and more, with my Vdesktop script - http://bit.ly/VDESKTOP

Return to “General discussion”