TheMindVirus

Re: Raspberry Pi Cluster Computer?

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:43 pm

alphanumeric wrote: I agree, getting the Pi Zero's needed could be an issue. In the past I often added a Pi Zero to any order I was making so I could have a couple spares kicking around. An option to buy the 4 zero's if your also buying that Hat would be cool. I'm not sure the retailer is allowed to do that though?
It was trouble enough getting my 1 Pi Zero and 1 Pi Zero W,
but that should be enough for each person.
Alastair Cota
Embedded Firmware Developer
[ERR]: Sense of Humour Failure

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:50 am

ejolson wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:26 am
In my opinion, the reason people keep asking about Pi clusters is
  • The internet is full of pictures.
  • They are cheap.
In my opinion, it's because people on the Internet keep calling them "Supercomputers" (which they are not, in terms of performance). That nonsense should stop, but it's the Internet, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

TheMindVirus

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:18 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
ejolson wrote: In my opinion, the reason people keep asking about Pi clusters is
The internet is full of pictures.
They are cheap.
In my opinion, it's because people on the Internet keep calling them "Supercomputers" (which they are not, in terms of performance). That nonsense should stop, but it's the Internet, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The internet itself could be considered as one of the largest distributed compute clusters in the world.
That doesn't necessarily make it the most efficient one.

Whether you can call it a supercomputer is a whole different topic, because it's tricky to make an Apples-with-Apples comparison with the average computer - what is the average computer, anyway?

You would probably only build a Pi cluster if you were interested in learning about datacenters
or were actually using them as a cheaper alternative for serving a community with automation.
Alastair Cota
Embedded Firmware Developer
[ERR]: Sense of Humour Failure

ejolson

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:33 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:28 am
michael9000 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:09 am
is crunching seti data using boinc something that can be viably sped up by using an RPi4 cluster?

michael
Seti at Home is open source as well as embarrassingly parallel. As a result, it should be possible to use on a cluster of Raspberry Pi 4B computers.

Whether that speeds anything up is dependent on whether you are currently running Seti at Home on a 15-year-old Pentium 3 or a Ryzen Threadripper with multiple GPUs.

I personally believe Seti at Home is futile because most advanced civilisations have already switched to nonradiating forms of communication based on quantum mechanics that do not show up.
It would appear that someone at the BOINC has concluded the same thing about Seti at Home. According to the news at

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

on March 31, 2020
Seti at Home wrote:SETI@home will stop distributing work and will go into hibernation.

Return to “General discussion”